SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

August 2020, Week 1

I'm always behind on Sunday mornings, so thought I'd start the new week's thread on Saturday evening.

Hello, August!

I wish we had more pleasant August weather every summer like we had today. Hopefully the mild weather is going to last a few more days. Normally, our hottest summer weather falls during the first two weeks of August but I don't think that will be true this year. At the very least it looks like we'll get a break for the first few days of the month, and the further east and north you are, the longer that break in the heat might last.

With all the recent rainfall in some areas, I imagine diseases will pop up like mad, and fruit will be splitting, etc. We didn't get enough rain here for any of those to be an issue for us. The grass that was brown is greening up again, and nice green grass in August is something of a rarity so we're enjoying seeing that.

I won't be weeding because the snakes are so active right now, but the garden is doing great other than being a bit weedy. We just keep harvesting and eating the produce, and not worrying or fretting over the things we can't change like lots of weeds and summertime snakes seeming to always go together. We have had a pest-free summer, really in a most astonishing way. Even the grasshoppers that showed up at one point in fairly disturbing numbers, were gone after about a week which made me really happy. I don't know if something ate them, if they got sick and died, or if they went away on their own, but the important thing is that they are gone. The garden was full of bees this morning and lots of hummingbirds and songbirds were around, so it was the best type of summer morning.

There's not many bunnies around, but they always disappear slowly over the summer, presumably feeding the coyotes and such, though not by choice. The white-tailed deer are plentiful as are the coons. We see an occasional possum, but don't have as many this year as usual.

There's no big projects going on outdoors in August here, but Tim and I keep hitting the home improvement stores in the never-ending search for pressure-treated lumber for the new backyard deck. It is so hard to find it this year, and you only can find it in shorter 8' lengths, not in the preferred longer lengths, but at this point we're just happy to finally be finding some. Once we accumulate enough lumber, we'll build the deck and I'm looking forward to being able to start that project in another week or two.

Have a great week everyone.

Dawn

Comments (60)