SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

May 2020, Week 3

We've made it to mid-May, perhaps despite the weather in some cases. This is the time of the year when the burden of garden work is heavy: planting, harvesting, weeding, pruning, staking, caging, mowing, edging, etc. and I know that everyone is busy. It also is the time of the year when many cool season crops are producing a harvest and you also may be getting an early harvest from some of the warm season crops as well. I hope your yards and gardens are doing well, and that the persistently cool, wet, windy weather hasn't managed to take all the joy out of gardening.

It is important to stay on top of the weeds in May or they'll take over, so may we all have the patience and fortitude to keep weeding and mulching. Remember to keep scouting for pest insects as they can reproduce very quickly at this time of the year. We are seeing almost no pests in our garden so far this year and I am thinking that maybe the persistent fall, winter and early spring rainfall and flooding here might have killed off a lot of them. We will not, of course, have a pest-free year, but at least the pests are off to a very slow start this year. We have a garden full of beneficial insects looking for a meal. I hope they are finding enough to eat. Last week a spined soldier bug rode into the house on my clothing when I came inside, and I was not amused to find him there. Perhaps he was hoping to find some pest insects to eat on the indoors plants.

Did everyone get a lot of rain last week? If so, I am sure that the moisture is interfering in various garden chores. The rain had mostly missed us, and I was feeling pretty relieved when we only had received 1.25" of rain for the week as of Friday afternoon. Then, the rain arrived on Friday evening and it rained all night and all day Saturday, and now we have over 4" for last week and are under water yet again. Most of my garden chores this week will consist of trying to not float away, trying to avoid fire ants, and probably caging the tomato plants in the garden. Oh, and mosquito avoidance. The mosquito population will explode in all this moisture. At least the temperatures for this week look really nice though, with temperatures (at least at our end of the state) in the 80s/60s and veering a bit towards the 90s by the end of the week. For us, this is typical May weather. It is hard to believe that next weekend is Memorial Day weekend. Summer comes after that.

What's new with y'all? The biggest news here is that last week we ate gloriously delicious BLT sandwiches, or in Tim's case BOLT sandwiches because he always adds onions to his. There's nothing that warms the heart of this gardener more than fresh tomatoes from the garden. We'll be harvesting the first peppers soon. I am amazed by how well both the peppers and tomatoes have done considering how many recurring cold nights we have had. The tomatoes were from the earliest plants, transplanted into large containers in March, but the peppers are from in-ground plants that were planted fairly late for us, but also were in bloom and had small peppers on them when transplanted. Our temperatures have been all over the place, but we have had plenty of days with highs in the 80s and occasional days with highs in the 90s, so the plants are making rapid growth and are very happy and healthy. From the viewpoint of the granddaughters, who are with us for their fifth and final day of this visit today, the best thing we did yesterday was to pretend it was summertime despite the cool, rainy weather we had all day. We made home-made vanilla ice cream in the ice cream maker right here in the dining room during the afternoon hours and now they are so fascinated and so in love with the ice cream-making process.

We had gone to the Academy store in Ardmore early in the day, since rain already was falling and our options were limited, and bought pool supplies and some new pool toys (remember, we were ignoring the rain and pretending it was summer) and then ate lunch (fast food, eaten in the car) on the way home. Maybe it is because we have been trying so hard to stay home away from people and away from the corona virus, but I was totally shocked at how crowded everything in Ardmore was, even very early in the day. It almost looked 100% back to normal, except a couple of restaurants have opted not to reopen yet. Whenever the warm weather returns, we'll have new pool toys to enjoy. At least last week's two very warm days, on Thursday and Friday, gave us lots of outdoor time to enjoy the pool and all the birds and butterflies. A female Luna moth who was in her last few minutes of life came to sit beside me while she died. She frantically tried to climb my leg, and I gently brushed her off, not wanting for her to be sitting on top of me as she died. She expired there in the shade beside my chair on a lovely Spring afternoon, fulfilling her ultimate destiny. The grandchildren were fascinated with her, if not with her aging, tattered appearance, so I showed them photos of healthy Luna moths on my cell phone and explained their life cycle while the kids took a break from the pool to enjoy watching the Luna moth.

The grandkids also learned how smart the hummingbirds are. We are not necessarily seeing a lot of hummingbirds at the feeders right now, largely because there are so many flowers in bloom for them to visit. During yesterday's rainy weather, though, the hummingbirds came to the porch feeders so they could feed under the porch roof and stay dry, and we noticed they stayed there most of the day, just hanging out, eating, and staying out of the cold rain. When the rain finally stopped, they left and went about their day, no longer feeling the need to stay out of the rain.

Have a great week everybody and be sure to let us know what's new with you!

Dawn

Comments (62)