SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dbarronoss

October 2020, Week 3

dbarron
3 years ago

Well, a good discussion was had by several of us last week.

Colder air came in and I had a frost Friday morning, that didn't appear to harm anything. Actually the frost mystified me, I was out prowling to pre-dawn to see what was going to be zapped. I only found the magic frost on the car (solid layer of frost) and on my rudbeckia maxima leaves (very large, slick leaves). Usually things very low on the ground get protection from the radiant heat from the soil, but the rudbeckia seemed to grab and hold that frost. I dunno? Frost is weird.

As an aftermath, I have indoor plants out on the back porch everywhere that I've been too lazy to get to their winter homes. I hope today to do that, because they're gonna need some watering quite soon. I also have my potted blueberry out there, because my sky blue vine (thunbergia grandiflora)

is wrapped in a stranglehold around it. Unfortunately that vine is a lot like clematis and very brittle, so I really didn't want to break it trying to untangle it quickly. I'll try again today so that the blueberry can go back outside for the winter.

I noticed yesterday that the first fall crocus (not exactly sure which species..just that it's in the same group as the saffron crocus) had pulled a surprise flowering...I love surprises.

Still no rain, and I've been watering trees, shrubs, and perennials all. It might rain Monday and/or Tuesday, but doesn't look like much (less than .3 inches)..but I guess that's better than absolutely nothing, which may be what we get? I would really like to see 2-3 inches over 2-3 days..that would help a lot.

Like Larry, something is eating my tomatillos usually just about the time I'd pick them, so I'm picking them a bit early now. I am not sure if we're talking birds or rodents? They usually only eat enough of it to spoil the fruit :( Not that I'm much better, I then let about 1/3 of them sit on the counter and decay vs using them. Not enough ripen at once for me to do much productive with them. I really should have just got a quart freezer bag and sliced them into the bag, then roasted them when I accumulated enough to make it worthwhile or when I wanted to use them..but that made too much sense, so I didn't do that.

Tomorrow is my eye exam, and I'm so looking forward to new glasses and being perhaps less blind.

My absentee ballot arrived Friday, so I guess I should fill it out and get it back soon. Our county clerk complained at me, when I asked where mine was on Wednesday. She said that they normally mail out about 2K ballots, this year over 16K and still sending. I do encourage everyone to do whatever they need to do to vote this year, but stay safe doing it.

Comments (65)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor