SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tansunny

looking for blue exterior paint recommendations

Angela M
3 years ago

We are getting our house painted towards the end of this month or next month and the blasted painter wants to know what color we want it. Damn him. He told me he uses Benjamin Moore and that's as much guidance as he has given me.

So a little background, we live in Florida, but not the part where bright flamboyant house colors are in. Our small neighborhood is full of tans, greys, light greens, light yellows, light blues. The HOA doesn't allow anything crazy, but the person who approves house colors also told me the thinks I can use my judgement.

I want a medium blue. The reason I say this is because light blues can get more pastel or sky blue and I don't like that at all. I DON'T want a blue that people will think is gray, green, or purple. I definitely want it to read blue, but not too dark. Does this make any sense? It does in my head, so there.

I have attached a pic of my my house from the front. I didn't take pics from the sides, but lets just say my house is pretty much a plain stucco box. Down one side there are no windows, but that area is concealed mostly by vegetation anyhow. The other side has a small bedroom window, a larger glass block bathroom window, and one of those small windows that goes above a bath tub and is like 6 inches tall....that side of the house is still....mostly stucco. The back of the home has a couple more bedroom windows and a dining room window and a covered patio. Nothing too exciting.

What I am thinking is....whole house blue, with the exception of any trim like the stucco squares near the porch and garage which I think should be white for contrast. Garage door...white. Since our front porch is very shadowy and dark, I am thinking of having him just keep ALL the inside of that white. And then the front door and exterior doors on the back patio some form of tan/beige/light brown.

What do you all think? I grabbed two paint samples from BM that we haven't slathered up yet. From the cards they look near identical, but I am guessing their true differences will be revealed once they are up. I got BM Porcelain Glaze and Sheer Romance. For the doors, I grabbed BM Pashima, but I could probably go a little darker if I can find the right tone. (The front door has a large oval shaped window). Am I on the right track or are these colors going to be too dark?

Comments (20)

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Porcelain Glaze is in the CSP series, and I think are some of B.M.’s most gorgeous colors. There is a “purple” undertone.

Sheer Romance may be the right one for you.

Rather than using Pashmina, consider:

Try a gloss finish on the front door,

What is your plan for the quoins and garage door?

Angela M thanked JudyG Designs
  • chloebud
    3 years ago

I would not be happy with the purple undertone Judy mentioned. Test the colors out to see what you think. Also, colors can often look lighter on the exterior. I know you don't want it to look gray, but a blue/gray would look nice with your roof.

ETA - Just saw Judy's two colors...nice!

Angela M thanked chloebud
  • Related Discussions

Sherwin-Williams Exterior Paint Color Recommendation

Q

Comments (18)
    Sorry for the late update. It's been almost 5 years since we had the exterior painted. Thanks, Jenny, for the reminder! We are so very happy with the color selection. We went with Sherwin-Williams 6257 Gibraltar, Duration Flat. The Duration costs a bit more, but the painter said it would last longer and he was right. The color is a perfect blue grey for us (not any green grey like we had before or some of the greys we tested that looked purple). Different sides of the house at different times of the day obviously look lighter or darker. This shows in the pictures I posted. Before painting we took down some woody bushes around the house perimeter and then afterwards we planted. These are before planting pictures. I also included the Sherwin-Williams color link. Highly recommend this color! Sherwin-Williams Gibraltar 6257 Paint
    ...See More

Recommend a light grey paint from lowes that does look baby blue? Thx

Q

Comments (1)
    Try Chic Gray by Behr.
    ...See More

Looking for recommendations for exterior house siding

Q

Comments (7)
    Unfortunately, Boral discontinued it's clapboard, and is currently only available in other profiles. The same is true of the similar Certainteed product, Icon. Or rather, I think Icon has been discontinued altogether. Everlast is another to take a look at.
    ...See More

Blue accent paint color recommendation

Q

Comments (1)
    I"m not a great color advisor but IMO, the white isn't doing anything to enhance the house f you do all the trim white. Here's a nice one with cedar shakes, white and blue. The white makes all the other colors really stand out. NIce discussion of the color in the questions about this house
    ...See More
  • Angela M
    Original Author
    3 years ago

This is exactly what I was looking for! I don't really see purple on the little square, but i knew one of them probably had an undertone that wasn't where I was wanting to go. And considering the name is "porcelain glaze" it having a bit more purple to it absolutely makes sense.

Ooh. Beachcomber is pretty! You don't think it will be too stark/dark if I keep the porch area white? Its just so dang dark under there during the day, but I must admit, all my Amazon packages never get wet.

• Angela M
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Chloe, if its a blue with a bit of gray undertone, that might be ok, I just don't want one of those colors where sometimes it looks blue, sometimes it looks gray. I want it to always be blue. Does that make sense?

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    3 years ago

The Color Stories CSP colors are interior only.

Angela M thanked Lori A. Sawaya
  • Angela M
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Lori, when I went into the paint store, I asked them which colors were exterior/interior and she said any color can be either exterior or interior. I was under the impression it just depending on what type of paint product you purchased, but that house paint could be made any color? (although based on the advice above it sounds like I probably don't want that color now anyhow, just curious what to look for as an exterior color if I should need to go back).

• chloebud
    3 years ago

Angela, it makes perfect sense.

I see Lori just commented here. She's amazing with color!

ETA - Love some of those blues from Beth. The Smoke with White Dove is nice.

• Angela M
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Beth! I know all the paint companies claim to be able to match any other color, but I have had issues doing this in the past with interior colors. Don't get me wrong, the color was *very* similar, but not exact. I can't remember exactly, but I want to say it was down to to like a half a drop of a color or something. It was something very minute, but I could definitely tell a difference. I figure my painter works with BM, I am sure I can find something they carry that fits my needs. Since I am in Florida, he is using an elastomeric type paint and I know the different companies have different versions of that product. He has done other projects for me, so I trust his judgement, if BM is what he prefers to work with, that's what we'll use.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

the colors I posted just show you the colors families. if you went into BM w/the SW color name, it will spit out the closest color in the BM line. then you can decide if it's a color you'd like to use.

This way your aren't color matching it w/the paint. (and yes, the colors will never be exact if you color match it. But it will be very close and in the same tonal neighborhood)

these are all BM colors, and all would work w/your roof

the middle two are a nice pick (darker one could be garage door) along w/Chantilly Lace or Oxford White for the trim.

Blue Heron

Jamestown blue

Bella Blue

Angela M thanked Beth H. :
  • Angela M
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Beth, most of those colors are a bit more gray than I was hoping to go, the second to last pic, that blue, while very pretty is a bit more teal than I want.

I do like the BM Little Falls for the exterior or Willowcreek or Stormy Monday for the doors. I can't tell from here if Little Falls is "blue" enough or will read more gray.

I noticed one of the colors is Mindful Gray! That is actually the color of our entire living room and kitchen (its an open floor plan). I had to work hard to find that color as our carpets are beige, but the tile in the kitchen/dining area has gray and beige in it. I had to be really picky about those undertones too, but I am happy with it. On my computer screen, Mindful Gray looks more like a gray beige, but up on my walls, its a medium gray and not really beige at all. That's why I am writing down the color names, but I know the computer plays a lot of tricks!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

I posted some newer tones. I picked blue/grays because of your roof. And also your HOA. I don't know how dark of a blue they'll let you pick.

'Cuz we could go w/Polo Blue!

I like the Blue Heron color,,,or Hamilton Blue

Angela M thanked Beth H. :
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 years ago

BM Wedgewood Gray

• Angela M
    Original Author
    3 years ago

That’s gray. Even says so in the name. :)

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    3 years ago

Lori, when I went into the paint store, I asked them which colors were exterior/interior and she said any color can be either exterior or interior.

Colors are not always well marked for exterior application. If she would have tried to mix that full spectrum, Color Stories color in an exterior base the computer wouldn't have let her do it. Color Stories colors are exclusive to Aura interior. It's noted in the Color Stories fandeck but not individual chips.

I've had several clients reach out to me because they chose a CSP color for exterior and couldn't get it and they wanted me to find a comparable regular color.

Which isn't easy for 2 reasons. The CSP colors are full spectrum and many of the CSP colors fill in empty pockets in the Benjamin Moore color collection. So it's unlikely you're going to find a similar color in BenM and most BenM paint store people know better than to try to color match a CSP color in an exterior base.

It's easier to just find another color.

just curious what to look for as an exterior color if I should need to go back

Definitely don't talk to the same person when you go back. :)

Always ask if the color is rated for exterior. Especially if it's a blue. Double especially if it's a dark blue.

For example, they need to confirm if your blue is rated for exterior and should then proceed to let you know that blues fade faster and need repainted sooner. And if it's a dark blue, that dark colors absorb heat, retain moisture more than lighter colors, and are harder to touch up. Lighter colors last longer and fade less than dark colors.

Dark exterior colors are dramatic and beautiful but they come with baggage.

• arcy_gw
    3 years ago

Is there a blue that I would call cameo blue. With white trim that would look amazing.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    3 years ago

Don't be swayed by color names--they usually do not accurately describe a color. Go by what you see with your own eyes. Test the color outside in your light, day and evening. Don't rely on what you see on a computer monitor or on a printed page either.

• Jennifer Hogan
    3 years ago

I think most people think of something close to Bluetonium or just a bit lighter than Bluetonium as a Cameo Blue. Can you help us define what you think of when you say "Cameo Blue"

• andreadeg
    3 years ago

We just painted out house in a custom mix of 4 parts Hamilton Blue and 1 part Hale Navy. The hamilton blue was really pretty but was turning slightly green in bright light so we darkened it a little. The results are stunning. Have a look at BM Hamilton Blue for sure. Please post pics when the work is done-can't wait to see what you decide to do!

• Shoemaker
    3 years ago

I think I understand...