SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bonitapplebum

How can I make my bedroom more upscale?

bonitapplebum
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I'm on a lot more Zoom calls and I do them in my bedroom. I'm expected to work from home until mid next year and so I'm looking to make my bedroom more put together since I am relaxing and working here a lot now.

There is a window in the room on the Southwest wall so this room gets a lot of natural warm light around noon until sundown. I want to repaint this room for starters, add 6 qty of dimmable 4" recessed lighting, wire 2 bedside shaded sconces, and new 5" baseboards. I also bought a new bronze doorknob with a backplate and will be boiling those hinges to remove the paint.

I'm also considering maybe putting up some paneling or molding, but I'm not sure if that is a good idea. I saw some photos of plain square box molding that looked nice painted in a navy blue, like the photos below. However, I have that door on that wall and I'm not sure I can do square box molding because the door has those rectangle panels. Do I go with rectangle shapes? How do I figure out what thickness to make the panels going vertical and horizontal?

Another idea I'm considering is to paint a "wainscot" around the room, but I'm not sure if that makes a room look smaller. Perhaps just paint that wall only?

I don't want to put in anything that doesn't work in the home style which is an early 90s open plan home with double volume ceilings and no crown molding etc but is open to anything that does.

Does anyone have any advice for me?

box moulding photo:

Comments (17)