SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ouqt84

How to clean loose asbestos in bathroom?

eri
3 years ago

Can I have advice on how to clean loose friable asbestos in my bathroom? Last spring 2019, my coop neighbor did construction without a permit and many nights I would come home to little dust bunnies all over the bathroom after they were drilling behind the wall.. I didn't know it then but it was most likely aircell asbestos pipe wrap which exists in my building according to city records.. Months after the construction I tested the dust in my whole apartment and it tested positive for asbestos.. I had a professional clean up and moved back in...

The other night there was a hurricane in my area (my windows were open so lots of air pressure) and when I walked into my bathroom that same material was scattered around.. It just tested positive for asbestos..My assumption is that either: The heavy winds caused the exhaust vent to push air out rather than pull in which may have lifted dormant fibers on top of my medicine cabinet or perhaps it pushed out fibers that were lingering around or inside the vent..

I really don't want to spend thousands again on a clean up if it's just contained in my bathroom.. Any any advice on the best way to clean my bathroom without spreading it all over my apartment? I have leftover asbestos solution/surfactant so should I just spray the whole bathroom down with paper towels??

It was suggested to me to rent a HEPA vacuum but it they seem really hard to find..Home Depot doesn't seem to rent them... I have a shark HEPA vacuum but I really would prefer not to contaminate it.. The other issue is my outtake vent..is it risky for me just to start spraying my outtake vent with water/surfactant and paper towels? A fear that it could disturb a lot of asbestos..I feel like it might be better just to leave it be and seal it up the next time a storm comes..

I am unsure here so any advice would be appreciated..Thanks and God bless

Comments (4)