SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

Alternative Beverages

plllog
3 years ago

No sugar, no caffeine. Mostly, I just drink spring water. I also have carbonated spring water for some effervescence. But I used to drink chemically enhanced water as an occasional treat, which also was very soothing when I have a swollen throat (allergies) (i.e., sugar-free sodapop (I hate sugary drinks)). There is a shortage of sweeteners and cans, however, so I'm conserving what I have.

I have an infusion pitcher, but don't really care for it, it's hard to fit in the fridge, and I don't want to make infusions by the gallon.

Someone had suggested guava leaf tea to me. It actually tastes like tea, which I like, but I looked it up and it has some slight medicinal properties which make me think it shouldn't be consumed in large quantities. So I've been making ice tea with it, but watching the portions. Re infusions, I love aqua de jamaica, but it also shouldn't be ingested in quantity, though I have plenty of dried hibiscus and could.

At the same time, when I was inventorying my pantry, I found a lot of herb teas just hanging out unloved. I sure don't love them. Really. Some are tolerable, but they were for meetings which I used to have at my house. I'm no longer on that board, and then there's the current situation of not making tea for anyone outside the family (and they won't drink it) for another year at least.

So, I got another fridge door pitcher with a different color and am making regular (non-guava) iced herbal tea, too. I tried the red rooibos, which is as meh as an iced tea as it is hot. Not unpleasant, but not particularly good. Then there was Lemon Zinger (I think...some kind of lemon blend) which was too lemony and too zingy.

Just now, I grabbed some loose bags out of the serving caddy and had two chai, one citrus and one green rooibus. It would have been better with one chai--as is, it's a bit on the "pumpkin spice" path--but the combo is much better than any of them were on their own. I also found a better way of doing it. I steep the tea in a French "working glass" which is the right size and quality of glass, and then pour it in the pitcher and add water. The glass is tall enough for tea bags, and short enough that the tabs don't have to be tied down.

My conclusion is that I can free up pantry space this way and make some interesting things by combining random teabags. :)

Anyone have any favorite combos, infusions, aquas frescas, etc., that make good subs for sodapop?

Comments (21)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH