Something good has come during Covid time...

phoggie

In March when this all started, my daughter began bicycling and has logged 1200 miles so far and lost 50 pounds while doing so. Part of her decision was to deal with stress of on-line teaching to kindergartens and also to get into better physical condition.

Today was her 55th birthday but instead of a big celebration topped off with cake and ice cream, she chose to take a 55 mile bike ride...she actually went 60 miles...in spite of her chain breaking three times! Her hubby is also a bike rider...and does the 200 mile in one day races...and he is a huge supporter in her riding and now that they are empty nesters, it is something they enjoy doing together.

SaveComment21Like18
Comments (21)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kathyg_in_mi

How wonderful!

Save     Thanked by phoggie
Lucille

Happy Birthday to her, she is awesome!

Annie Deighnaugh

What a wonderful story. Happy Bday and congrats to her!

morz8

Happy birthday to her. And we LUV a positive story. Thank you for that.

adellabedella_usa

That's great!

wildchild2x2

That's really great. Happy Birthday to her.

OutsidePlaying

Great to hear such an upbeat, positive story. Congrats to your daughter on the lifestyle change.

greenshoekitty

What a good thing to hear.

bpath

Wonderful!

And, how in the world do you do kindergarten online?? And “on the fly”, to boot?

Ava

Wow, 50 pounds. That is an accomplishment. She looks fabulous.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by phoggie
bbstx

Good for her!!

nickel_kg

Smart lady to choose exercise for stress relief! And that is a nice picture of her -- she looks happy, healthy, and pretty! Great example for kindergartners and adults :-)

nicole___

She looks GREAT! That's a lot of miles! 50lbs lost.....man oh man! Great job!

OklaMoni

Phoggie, congrats to her. That is an awesome feat, to loose that weight, and stay sane in these awe-full times.

I try to get out daily for a ride, for my head, and my overall health.

Funny, that she did birthday miles the same day, that I chose to finally do my birthday miles. I wasn't able to do them in April, as I was still in quarantine, and totally out of shape from not riding for a whole month. I did 66 yesterday.

Again, congrats to her.

Moni

PS, may I share a link here?

it's all about how so many people feel, that are now bike riders. :)

https://www.bicycling.com/culture/a33396563/an-open-letter-to-real-cyclists/?utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=socialflowFBBI&utm_medium=social-media&fbclid=IwAR3WDuLxQ2hqUjRytxss50IwN_RwPRqumblV7jHq70tnuOAy1QeTqsg-Q00

chisue

Congratulations to your beautiful DD! You raised a smart cookie!

I, too, would love to hear about teaching 5-yr-olds online. Our DIL taught her Chicago Public Schools junior high math classes remotely this spring. It went better after DS set up a 'studio' for her in their basement. (He's done sound and light for theater groups beofe; this setup included an overhead projector.) DIL was very sad that her best student *disappeared* in the midst of this...family may have lost their home.

summersrhythm_z6a

55 is the new 35! Good for her!

sjerin

Marvelous!

Rusty

Wow, that's a lot of miles! And a lot of pounds gone! Congratulations and a belated 'Happy Birthday' to her!

And a big 'Thank You' to you for sharing with us. LOVE reading positive posts!

Rusty

phoggie

To those who asked....on-line teaching Kindergartens was/will be a huge challenge for her. Not only getting them logged on...even though she assigned them their first name as password...but the students were not the biggest challenge. It was parents who are unwilling to cooperate because they thought they didn’t need to participate or didn’t have time to “mess with doing it”....or an “it’s not my job, that is what you are getting paid to do” attitude...sadly, it will be those students who will be left behind😢.

The school provided each student with a laptop and internet services are provided free to every family with school children. She spent many 14-16 hour days preparing and “teaching” from a room at her home that she turned into a make-shift classroom. She puts her whole self into making education as productive and fun for her students as she possibly can...as does she in her bike riding. She challenges herself to ride those gravel roads and climb those steep hills...not to take the easy paths of level paved roads. She said she has learned not to look at the top of the hill, but to concentrate on the “next tree or next mailbox”...baby steps and not giving up! She won’t give up on a student, but keeps challenging them to try their best and not quit.

I honestly don’t know how it is going to work now that part will be coming in to the classroom twice a week for each half of students and on-line will be doing Wednesdays. I know she will be praying for guidance and strength and will do the very best she can.

2 Likes Save    
desertsteph

that is awesome! and she looks great - and happy. 50 lbs is a lot to lose - good for her.

jtc

She looks super good. Not only did she lose a lot of weight, she is so toned.

Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
For Pros 5 Landscape Pros on How Business Has Changed During COVID-19
Business is booming for many landscape construction and design firms, which have adapted to pandemic conditions
Full Story
7 Reasons to Boost Online Marketing During COVID-19
By Houzz
Don’t let your company go into lockdown too — use this time to push your online presence and engage with new customers
Full Story
Dining Rooms New This Week: These Dining Rooms Know How to Have a Good Time
You can add some fun to your room decor, whether your taste is traditional, contemporary or something in between
Full Story
For nearly 20 years Grow Landscapes, Inc. has proven to be a leader in the industry in terms of design,... Read More
Windows on Washington is a local, family owned company focused on improving the energy efficiency, comfort and... Read More