SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alexander_frison

Floor plan of a German City Villa - asking for feedback & improvements

Alex Frison
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hello dear builders and house owners!

We are now in the planning stage of our house in Germany and are still uncertain or not completely satisfied with some points. Unfortunately our architect did not give us so much inspiration and tips.

Just FYI, square meters are a bit more than 10 square feet. Sorry for my metric numbers here. :)

Here is the house, I hope you like it. We will us old European bricks

An this is how it might look like from above:

It would be really great if you could give me your opinion on how you like the floor plan in general and where is room to make clever improvements or reduce the square meters, because at the moment the whole house is about 270 m² and we would like to lose a few more square meters. If it is not possible, or only under too many compromises, then it would be ok, but we would like to optimize the floor plan.

Details of the house:

Size of the property: 1200 square meters

Style: City villa with old bricks

Orientation: House entrance to the west

Style, roof shape, building type: City villa with old clinker brick

Number of persons: 4

Home office, 8-12 hours daily.

Reasons why we have done one or the other:

Balcony in front, so that I can go out of the office from time to time and we can enjoy the setting west sun in the evening.

The kitchen should definitely be bright with a view to the street, that's what my wife wanted.

Guest room and guest toilet should be barrier-free and large enough so that the parents or we could live there later.

What doesn't please you? Why not?

First of all the large area! about 270 sqm! It would be really great if we could get it to less than 260sqm by implementing it more cleverly.

Ground Floor:

Here is our current design no. 22 for the ground floor.

What we don't quite like here yet or where we are not sure yet:

1. The technical room (1), there are a lot of doors and takes away storage space for the equipment. Is it still enough? Some have only 3 m², some say at least 6-8 m².
  2. The question is, if the side entrance (2) is really necessary, I say maybe, my wife says yes, or if a window there might be enough or if we should make the door at the side of the garage.
  3. The arrangement of the guest toilet (3) should be barrier-free, because a parent could possibly move in with us later, does it fit like this or do you have a better solution how to arrange toilet, sink, shower and urinal better? Maybe also to gain space for the guest room or technical room.
  4. We have received feedback from some friends that the staircase (4) is not as presented as it should in such a house, what do you think, do you think that too or what are your ideas? I have tried a lot of things and actually in my opinion it fits also with the first floor and the rooms there.
  5. The hallway would unfortunately be too narrow for a wardrobe behind the stairs (5) as we originally thought, some idea to accommodate the wardrobe there or somewhere else.
  6. Position of the fireplace (6), what do you think is the best place for it?
  7. At the top right of the kitchen (7) we would like to have some kind of window or other solution so that you can see the terrace from there when you are in the kitchen. Any idea how to do it best?
  8. Does it make sense to have a kitchen door right next to the big living room door (8) or to put the kitchen door in the middle of the wall or right next to the front door or even better not having it at all?
  9. What's your opinion of the ground floor layout in general?

Here is the current design for the ground floor with all the points noted.

In the following an alternative current draft no. 24 for the ground floor. The only difference to no. 22 is the staircase without wardrobe, right side wall at the hall with wardrobe and the left kitchen wall moved a bit to the right. So instead of a cooking island, a semi-island, so to speak. Does the semi-island make sense, or rather cooking island, but also the left kitchen wall further back to the left and then without a wardrobe there? What do you like better or do you have other ideas?

First floor:

And here is our current design no. 24 for the upper floor.

What we don't quite like here yet or where we are not sure yet:

1. Is the children's bathroom (1) big enough like this?
  2. Is the dryer and washing room (2) big enough to iron? It would be great if the room has enough space to not only for the washing machine and dryer, but also to iron and hang up laundry that cannot be put in the dryer. Is the 6 m² sufficient? What is the best way to arrange the washing machine and dryer and furniture there?
  3. Is the dressing room (3) quite well placed? Is it ok like this or do you have other ideas? Morning sun is there in the east.
  4. Is the bedroom size (4) sufficient, we only need it for sleeping, there doesn't have to be much in it.
  5. Do you have any ideas for the arrangement of the bathroom (5), so that you can possibly make the utility room bigger?
  6. In general your opinion about the floor plan on the upper floor, what can be improved, what is not so great and what do you like?

The current design for the upper floor with all the points noted.

I look forward to your feedback, also critical (constructive feedback).

Possibilities for optimizing the room layout/position and possible savings in space would be great.

Are corridors or positions in the planning too narrow or too tight?

Creative and ingenious ideas for making good use of space and making it comfortable.

Thanks for your help and feedback! We really appreciate it!

I would then upload the progress and adjustments in the next steps, let's see how the result will be.

We are very curious ourselves!

Have a nice weekend!

Alex

Comments (14)