SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kate_kraft

Update on Floor Plan - Looking for Feedback

Kate Kraft
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi everyone,

We've got another update from our architect on our new build that is much closer to what we were envisioning. It still has some problems that I'm hoping you guys can help us with. This is currently just showing the first floor, as they want our blessing on that before we finish designing the second story.

My initial thoughts/questions:

- By eliminating the weird hallways and vestibules to the guest and media rooms, we've ended up with this incredibly long narrow media room (12x23). We still need to decide on door placement (my thought was from the great room) and we want to add a closet for AV equipment which will also allow this to count as a 6th bedroom. It feels like a poor use of space, and adding a hallway would definitely take up some of that space, but I'm not sure what else to potentially put there that would make sense. I think one answer may be to stretch the house out wider, but I'm also worried about where we're at on square footage.

- I was hoping that pulling the kitchen out to the left would allow for a window into the kitchen over a sink, but there doesn't seem to be quite enough room for that. Again, stretching the width would help here (I think). I'm not sure about pantry door placement and fridge placement, although I'm much happier with the pantry size now.

- I think the mud room could be wider to accommodate cubbies on the wall opposite the W/D and sink. I also kind of want to add doors on either end of the mudroom so that you can access it from any side of the house... is this too many doors?

- What do you guys think about the back stairs opening directly into the mudroom?

- On the other side of the house, we wanted to use the study as a transition room to eliminate the need for a hallway to the master. I'd like to move the master closet to the master wing so the study can have natural light from both sides, however the architect is worried this will make the master wing really deep. Any suggestions? I don't love the M. Bath layout either.

Thank you all so much for your feedback. I already feel much better that we are going to end up with a better product at the end of all of this based on your help. Just for reference, here is the house we showed them as inspiration, which kind of finally got the aha from the design team.

You can find our original thread here: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6223126/reviewing-final-floor-plan?share=clipboard

Comments (52)