SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_778945729

Rushed to choose floor stain and unhappy with result...

HU-778945729
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hello - I am new to this forum but wanted to post and get some opinions from those with more expertise. We just refinished our downstairs red oak floors that were previously a natural color that had yellowed (like this when we recently bought the house). We originally though we wanted dark walnut, but many of the rooms have little natural light and the sample on the floor seemed way too dark. Plus we heard dark is harder to keep clean and can make the rooms look smaller. Other samples we considered were provincial, early american, special walnut and english chesnut. I loved the look of old growth black walnut hardwood in online photos and thought I wouldn’t mind a bit of red tone to feel more rustic, but we also wanted something traditional looking. Ultimately we went with a mix of english chesnut and provincial, but I felt super unsure about the decision. When it was finished this week and we saw it on the whole floor my heart sank at how red/orange it looks. It is particularly orange in the rooms with new LED recessed lighting (which again have little natural light so we would most likely always have those on). I am seriously considering redoing but even if I could this moment I'm not sure what we would choose. I definitely don't want to go darker. Appreciate any help and advice! This is our first home and I feel so defeated and sad at missing the mark on this first big decision.

Comments (13)