SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maryg_

Unhappy with my new kitchen

MaryG.
9 years ago

Hi all.

My husband and I just had our new custom kitchen installed and I'm extremely unhappy.

We hired an interior designer who drew up several layout plans and we chose the one we liked the best. We met with the woodworking folks and I selected the cupboards, hardware, etc.. The designer was involved in the process from the start. She approved the color of the cabinets, etc...

The kitchen was just installed this week and when I saw the final result, I actually started to cry. The layout looked great on paper but not so great in person.

Our kitchen was small to begin with but now it looks even smaller. It looks like a bloody cave. We still have to install the countertop (quartz in Minera by Cambria) and a backsplash (that will be primarily white with some light shades of grey), plus stainless steel appliances and I'm hoping that will make things look better but I'm not hopeful.

The cost of the custom kitchen cabinets and countertop was $18,000 CDN. I feel like it was a complete waste of my hard earned money. If I could afford it, I would take a sledgehammer and smash it all and start from scratch. My husband on the other hand, loves the new kitchen.

I've attached a photo of what it looks like at the moment. It's not a great photo because we still haven't installed lights in the recessed lighting. As an FYI...the fridge will be going in that space where the light is shining from which, I'm sure, will make the kitchen look even smaller.

Am I overreacting?

Comments (53)