SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pinkskier

Small dying fiddle leaf fig

pinkskier
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hello!

I was browsing a big box store on Sunday when I noticed this small ficus lyrata in their clearance section. It came in a very nice pot and was marked down to basically nothing and was clearly in extremely bad shape. It had two stems thatwere both completely flopped over and the soil did feel dry but not overly so (I tested it with my moisture meter when I got home and got 2-3s near the bottom). However, the leaves and stems were still green.

Because of the price, the nice pot, and my need to try and help this sad, small fiddle, I decided to bring it home.

There are two stalks about 5-6 inches high (looks like there was once 3 but it had been chopped already) in this 6 inch planter. They are very skinny with 3 limp leaves each. I inspected the rootball to see if it needed a repotting when I got home, but the roots actually looked white and not rotten but very, very sparse. I considered repotting into smaller pots where the root system would actually fill up the pot, but figured with the shape that the plant was in, the immediate stress would do more harm than good so I just put it back into the nursery pot it came in. Please let me know if I should repot!

I immediately staked up the plant (tied with string) to help support the stalks and give the leaves better exposure to sunlight and gave the soil a thorough watering. I did not add fertilizer. I poked some holes in the soil to give it better aeration. I live in Denver which can be dry for fiddles, so I made a makeshift greenhouse thing out of ziplock bags, sticks, and duct tape, gingerly placed it around the pot, and left it in our nook area which has north, east, and south facing windows.

After one day, one of the plants seemed to perk up a little but the other one looked pretty withered. However, I noticed some light webbing and thought I saw a spider mite on a branch! I only had dish soap on hand so I diluted it very heavily and then very carefully wiped off the stems and leaves.

A couple hours later I checked on it and found these white spots at the center on the brown spots on one leaf of the worse plant. It looked mold/fungusy and I thought about removing the leaf but there were still green parts and I figured the plant needed all the leaves right now? I sprayed down the plants with diluted hydrogen peroxide mixture, put it back into the gerry rigged greenhouse, and let it be. I did notice that the worse off plant had the tiniest of green buds at the top?

However, when I checked on the plant this morning, both seemed in worse shape. Leaves were droopier, the white spots were still there (but hadn't gotten bigger), but the green bud on top seems to be turning brown.

Can anyone give me thoughts/advice on this weird project I've taken on? Are repots in order? Should I just chop the plants down to the "trunks" and stick the top cutting in water, maybe a hydrogen peroxide mix if anyone has had experience with that? Is the makeshift greenhouse helping or hurting it? Are these plants just destined to die?

Appreciate if you've actually read this far!!

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions