SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pk_241011

511 mix after 3 years

Today I root pruned my lemon trees and put them back in the same pots. They had gone into 511 mix three years ago.

So here are my observations on how 511 mix ages.

1. It ages well !!! It did not break down much. The pine bark pieces were a bit more flaky when I wanted to break them. A hint of sponginess.

2. The mix can actually last for 5 years given how little it had decomposed. But any plant in a pot has to be either root pruned or potted up in 3 years. So might as well change the mix.

3. Dolomitic lime powder was still there. I guess it gets used up real slow.

4. Roots were very healthy and rather tightly packed. It is a very forgiving mix for beginners.

5. I avoid the pricey stuff. Source of my pine bark is the playground mulch they sell here. I just sieve it. Needless to say it also has quite a bit of the softwood splinters in it. I was always worried that they will rot away faster and turn into mud like slurry. They did not. They still held their shape but were much more decomposed compared to bark. They were spongy to press and released water as they dis-intergated between fingers. Also they did not steal much of nitrogen as they trees grew very fast in them.

Lesson: Pine bark quality matters but it is not the end of the world if it is not the top notch quality. Get the size of the particles right. After that your results totally depend on your watering, feeding and pruning schedule.

6. The biggest issue with 511 mix remains the summers of Australia. Since it does not retain much of water it is difficult to keep the plants hydrated the whole day. And add to that water restrictions of drought.

7. My expensive Osmanthus, Camellia and Michelia Alba stay in 511 mix.

8. Seeing as the winters are getting progressively warmer and drier here in Australia, I might be adding some compost to 511 mix in some test pots to see how it fares.

Oh yes, they went back into 511 mix.

Comments (67)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!