SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jannm2021

Yet another promix soil comparison!

Jan
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I was thinking of a thread that I started last year about soils in particular MGGS and wanted to update everyone on growing in promix hp recently for anyone interested. Just a side note I do have a few other small trees in promix hp for the last couple years doing great since brian suggested it to me two years ago but this time I actually have a comparison of two of the exact same trees of same age same source etc etc. I got two shiranui trees last July from the same source (brugsmansia Quebec) and since I only had enough 511 leftover for one I decided to get some leftover promix hp I had from a previous year and plant the lesser of the two trees in that. What I mean is one tree arrived smaller than the other and looking less healthy with fewer leaves and that was the one I decided to pot into straight up promix hp. Well it’s been almost a year now and the growth rate has been quite different surprisingly the promix hp has edged out the 511 Even though it started out smaller.

The one potted in the promix hp is on the right and has flushed twice this year where as the one in 511 on the left has only flushed once. Also while it doesn’t look like it from the angle I took the picture from, the two are potted up with the rootball at the same height.

It got the same treatment over winter although I did water the one in promix much Less than the one in the 511 so I guess it got less fertilizer too since I only fertilize when I water. In our dreary cloudy Unusually cold winter last year i watered the promix every month or maybe even 6 weeks went by between every watering Since I did over pot the poor tree. the root ball was tiny and I only had a large 14”x14” pot to put it in and I was terrified of overpotting but it didn’t seem to be a problem! I’m very surprised. I’m about to repot many of my citrus this year I might have to switch them all to promix hp! I really hope brian sees this as hes the one who got me brave enough to use such a peaty mix!

also just as to not start a forum war lol Im quite Sure it’s me and my watering habits that make the 511 not as great as I’m never used to watering something so porous!! It’s working so well for so many others that I know it must be user error on my part. I do have a few On 511 that’s also doing great however more than half of my trees in 511 doing poorly in them Or just ok.

Comments (74)