SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
specialmn1

Promix: Cost and Wetting Questions

Mary4b
15 years ago

I know there are a host of Promix discussions, and I've probably read them all 2x, but I do have a couple of questions still and hope someone's willing to read and answer yet another Promix Post!

First, I can buy from a local Wholesaler at supposedly wholesale prices. But, I am puzzled, a 3.5 cu foot bale of compressed Promix BX with Mycorise is 28.50. Supposedly that's equal to 7 cu foot of loose. Does that seem like a wholesale price to you? And even if it doesn't, is it a fair price?

Second, I filled my containers with a 50/50 mix of unwetted promix and unwetted MG Potting Soil that I had still had in unopened bales and bags, respectively, from a year or two ago. Then, I sprayed down all of those containers a couple of times and waited 24 hours. I moistened them with a light spray again, sowed my seeds, covered with a dusting more of unwetted and gave them another good spray. I thought this process was nice and easy, and it seemed so much easier to load all of the containers with dry instead of wet medium. Now, the containers are on the asphalt drive covered by plastic sheet with holes in them for ventilation. It's been raining a lot, and I've noticed the containers seem very wet, even 24 hours after no rain. I'm thinking maybe I should put a few drainage slits more in the bottoms/low sides, or open punch the the plastic more...but it's raining so much, I'm not sure.

I'm wondering if anyone thinks I made a mistake with my methods?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery