SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mona_algherbawi_fly

Help with Open living room/dinning room area

Mona Algherbawi
3 years ago

Hi everyone! After a couple of months of racking my brain, trying to figure out what to do! I decided I need help. We just bought this house! I love the open floor concept, but I'm having a hard time designing it to keep that openness in the space but also have a formal dinning table and enough seating for a large family in the living room.

A few thoughts/questions:

1. The mantle will go, and I'll have a reclaimed wood mantle installed centered just above the fireplace. Not much I can do to distract from the off-centered brick wall? Any ideas?

2. What would be the best seating setup for the living room? I would love to have a sideboard or cabinet on the wall in front of the fireplace; but that leaves me with less seating! I'm thinking two easy chairs by the fireplace, my Article Sven Sofa under the big window and a loveseat facing the fireplace (see my attempt to visualize this in the photos). Or should I skip the loveseat for another chair? maybe the sideboard?

3. I have the 8 seater table from Article as well, but it's too big for the dinning space. I'm thinking a smaller table for 6 with a bench against the wall. Bad idea? I have 4 counter stools that I'd like to use as well. This leaves me with limited space to move in the dinning room and no space for a small bar cabinet.

I am open to all/any ideas. I really want a mirror in this space as well, but not sure where best to put it. I have a large cool painting that I was thinking of adding above the mantle as well.

Looking forward to getting your feedback!

Comments (9)