SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_698766534

new construction - couple questions/concerns as we near the end

Jim B
3 years ago

All - my wife and I are towards the end of building a custom home and I wanted to get this communities pulse on a couple issues. For reference, we are in Tennessee, this is a custom build, and we have a tentative close date of 8/12:

- We were told that we would be involved in the selection of the returns and hvac registers. We were not consulted and only now realized we weren't. Now that the AC is running we've noticed that the entire upstairs hallway and and 2 story foyer are extremely hot. The upstairs consists of 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, and a bonus room with 2 sets of stairs. There are no ac vents in the upstairs hallway which stretches the length of the house. If I walk into one of the 3 bedrooms upstairs it feels like the temperature is at least 10 degrees cooler. We have antes into each bedroom and the thermostat is in one of those antes (noted below). Blue rectangles are current AC vents and duct work is running the length of that upstairs hallway in the ceiling. Is it within our rights as the buyer to ask them to add vents to cool the hallway? Is this a huge ask? Or is this just to be expected with an upstairs hallway. The stairs in the front are 2 stories so it's somewhat of a 2 story foyer but not completely. See screenshot of plans below:

- the mudroom floor which is a brick tile is noticeably lower in certain areas. This has been covered up until the last 2 weeks and we weren't aware until we've been able to walk in it and notice. I imagine its an issue with the sub-flooring settling but this seems like a huge project for them to fix and I'm just wondering if we need to require them to fix it or if this is something that is to be expected. Seems sloppy and poor craftsmanship to me but I want to be reasonable. Don't have pics yet but can get them.

- The screened in back porch used some of the worst wood for the frame

I've ever seen. Pics included for reference but when we brought this up during a QC walk through with the project manager from our GC the other day he said "yeah that'd be a really big fix..." as if to imply we shouldn't ask them to fix it or its too late to do it. Are we within our rights to ask them to fix this or are we being too particular. It just feels like the wood already looks like it's 10 years old.

Pics below:

Comments (12)