SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ianb_co

Concerns planting fruit trees near dying apens?

ianb_co
16 years ago

Hello all! I've been loitering around this forum for some weeks (since we closed on our new house in Boulder in December), but here's my first question: Both the back and front yards were planted 20 years ago with aspens, which are now rapidly dying out (about a third of the trees are apparently healthy, a third visibly damaged, and a third dead or nearly so). They have classic canker signs - wounds leaking orange sap, vertical broken bark in the dead trees. There are also galls on the branches of many of the trees. I plan to replace them with fruit trees - apples, pears and plums. I'll start another thread soon for your advice on varieties.

My question is whether I need to be concerned with planting fruit trees near where the dead or dying aspen trees have recently been removed or infected trees are still standing. I was planning on starting on one end of my back fence, where there's a gap in the trees, and working my way across as the trees need to come down, possibly interspersing the healthier aspens with fruit trees (the fence runs east-west, so all would get full sun). Any thoughts?

Thanks! - Ian

Comments (4)