SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
krakenqueen_gw

Burying dog poop near fruiting trees/bushes?

KrakenQueen
12 years ago

After digging through many, many pages of information regarding the composting of dog poop, I have decided against such a thing for vegetable gardening. The question I do have however is whether it is okay to bury it near fruiting plants, trees or bushes like papayas, apples, citrus and blueberries for fertilizer?

My geriatric dog-child is on a mixed diet of home made food and Blue Buffalo Wilderness, so her diet is very high quality. We know what goes in and what comes out. She is also always UTD on hearworm and flea medications, and as of right now on antibiotics for a sinus infection due to a nasal adenocarcinoma.

Could I just dump it in and cover, mix it with the soil and cover, or forget it entirely and trash it like I always have? Should there be concern for leaching of antibiotics from her poop?

I understand the concerns for pathogens if used for vegetables, which is why I dutifully refrain from doing so, but I would like to put the poop to some use.

I suppose this would be a good question for Kelly to answer? Though I noticed a lot of you had some practical and very good information / experience as well. I just hadn't come across any answers that I felt could directly relate to my question above, so I apologize if this has been answered elsewhere and I overlooked it.

Thank you!

Kraken

Comments (6)