SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artemis78

Planting a new fruit tree where a diseased tree has died?

artemis78
15 years ago

We recently lost a cherry tree to some sort of fungus or rot---it was already extremely ill when we inherited it from the previous owner, and though we tried to figure out what was wrong, huge chunks of it kept dying. The tree next to it seems to have a similar illness: bark peeling, with an amber liquid oozing out of the trunk. Both trees have ants in them, and we discovered this weekend that the dying tree had a hollow trunk filled with termites and rotted wood. (I know they probably were the effect of the problem rather than the cause, but we took it down nonetheless since it was very close to the house--and because when I shook it to see how stable it was, the whole HUGE tree fell over!)

So, to my question---we'd like to put something in its place, and ideally also start a second tree to begin growing behind the other ailing cherry. I don't want to put a young tree at risk if the soil is likely to carry fungus, rot, insects, or other causes of these problems, though. Are there strategies for preparing soil where there's been a diseased tree? Do we need to definitively identify the problem first, if so? Or will amending the soil and monitoring the young tree help be enough to catch problems?

Also on that note, does it matter whether we replace the tree with another cherry or with a different fruit tree? (I know with vegetables it's wise to rotate, but didn't know if this applied to fruit trees as well.)

Just trying to catch any problems before they start---thanks!

Comments (5)