SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ian_wa

tell me about your favorite pest and disease proof fruit trees!

ian_wa
16 years ago

Produce isn't getting any cheaper at the store so I am looking into planting a mini orchard of about 25 fruit trees of various kinds. While I'll provide some degree of care for these trees - soil amendment/mulching, irrigation as needed, and pruning - I'd like them to be as low maintenance as possible. I hope to avoid varieties that are susceptible to pests and diseases in our region as much as I possibly can. They also need to be good performers just in general and make a lot of fruit. And I am trying to stick with things that ripen a bit on the early side - my growing season is cooler than Seattle by about 3 or 4 degrees. However there is plenty of sunshine (Sequim area) so it's better for fruit trees than being in Westport or something. Late spring frosts aren't likely to be a problem very often - the site seems pretty mild frost-wise.

I have a list going which I hope to narrow down to the best varieties. I would love to hear your experiences with fruit tree varieties that have done really well and shown exceptional performance with no diease or pest problems. Varieties I will be planting include peach, plum, apple, pear, and asian pear. The one thing I'm not quite crazy about is cherries - I might plant just one 4-way tree or something. I also have to try just a couple apricots and nectarines even though less heat than Seattle might be a problem for them. I'm trying to figure out if 'Harglow' is actually a better performer here than the esteemed 'Puget Gold'.

Finally - what nurseries are offering the best selection of bare-root fruit trees this year? And do any of them have special deals or exceptionally low prices? I suspect most retail nurseries are getting them from the same few wholesale nurseries so I'm not expecting a lot of variation - but who knows.

Comments (28)