SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susanne_warren

What to do with cabinets in a relatively new home that are a mess

Susanne Warren
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

My husband and I just purchased a home that is 3 1/2 years old. The home is somewhat dark and the mushroom brown walls made it more so, but we thought the home was charming and decided to paint it a lighter color. Once we had access to it and the painters started painting it white, we saw what a mess it is. The previous owner trashed the kitchen--the composite sink is cracked, the stove is so disgusting we're going to have to replace it. My concern is the cabinets. They are a linen color and they are inexpensive cabinets, so I don't know if it's worth spending a lot of money to refurbish them. They have food (?) and grease splattered all over them that we can't clean off, they are chipped and scratched and stained. I don't know what to do about them. I hate to replace cabinets that are not that old, especially because she had soft-close drawers and pull-out shelves installed. The painter said he wouldn't recommend painting them because they are plastic-coated over particle board. The only other solution I can think of is refacing.

Comments (4)