SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chueh_gw

Why do squirrels mess up my new plants?

chueh
15 years ago

I often sow seeds onto Jeffy peat pallets which have either paper or netting around to hold the peat in place. I noticed half year ago that some of the peat pallets were dug out, and my erosion control blankets on the hillside were messed up purposely. I could not understand who would do such a thing. Recently, I have seen squirrels vigorously taking pieces of erosion control netting blanket out. Ok, so squirrels have taken netting materials to make their houses.

The other day, I just newly transplanted 5 six-inch-pot mums to the ground. There are no netting around them. This morning, I found that all of them were dug out. This time, I really don't get it. Why do squirrels want to dig merely newly plants out. It might not be a squirrel, though. I have found cats around. However, the purpose of cat messing up the garden is to hind its poop, but I did not find any poop there.

Why?? Why?? I am about to transplant MANY plants in peat pallets to the ground, and I know that most of them will be dug out. What do I do...........

worried gardener

Comments (5)