SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
love_the_yard

Valve Box is a Mess - What Do I Do? (pictures)

Below are pictures of my valve box. My irrigation system was installed about ten years ago. The system is actually working fine right now, including the valves, but after learning how to replace sprinkler heads, relocate sprinkler heads, etc., I got inspired to make sure *everything* is good with my system. As you can see the inside of my valve box is a mess. What should I do? Should I leave well-enough alone until something fails? Or should I try to fix this mess? The whole box, including the box lid, is located below natural ground level. Should I carefully dig out the dirt from inside the box? Can I get shocked or electricuted if I touch an exposed wire? I don't want to die doing this. The wires appear very brittle and the wire casings are so dried out they have segmented. Should the box be raised and if so, is there any way to that? Or is the box level relative to ground dictated by the valve and piping located within? I have three zones (and thus, I think three valves). What do you think?

{{gwi:326798}}

{{gwi:326799}}

{{gwi:326800}}

{{gwi:326801}}

Thanks!

Carol

Comments (33)