SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
always1stepbehind

Those who have dealt with bee stings with their dog

always1stepbehind
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Have a question for anyone who has experienced bee stings with their dogs. Couple months back DD calls me at work to say the dogs face looks funny...sends me a pic, has swelling on her nose and face...take her to the vet, is treated with 2 shots...I think cortisone and something else and sent home with prednisone and to use over the counter bendryl. Well after the shots at the vet, dog was fine..swelling went down...end of story. Never did give her the prednisone or any bendryl.

So yesterday she comes in after going potty and has a big lump under her chin. No stinger or anything but I suspect it's a bee sting. She starts with the swelling around her nose and eyes...call the vet we had taken her to before...thinking we'd get in right away like we did last time get shots etc. well they couldn't see her for about 4 hours so I call another vet that I can take her over right away. I also take the bottle of prednisone I didn't use from the last vet. Vet says it looks like a bee sting, going to give her an antihistamine shot and gives me directions to use the prednisone we had from last vet. The swelling on her face was NOT as bad as the first time. Within no time at all, she looks back to normal. I gave her the dose of prednisone anyways around 6pm. Well almost midnight and ready to go to get she has a round welt on top of her nose. UGH...its' starts spreading...has some swelling starting on one part of her lip....I'm not sure to give her the 2nd dose of prednisone or take her in to a 24hr vet. We do call one place, show up...looks sketchy...we're thinking the swelling is actually looking better but we drive to another vet and will decided from there if we still need to take her in...decide it looks better and we go home and watch her till about 3am. In the meantime, did her the 2nd dose of prednisone. She wakes up looking fine this morning. Gave her the 3rd dose of prednisone.

ok...after all that here is my question...is it normal for the swelling or welts to pop back up? I'm thinking maybe we just got lucky with the first bee sting or whatever it was that caused the swelling because she was fine after just the shots from the vet. I have to assume there is re-occurring swelling that was expected since the prednisone was prescribed and to be given over 4 days...which like I mentioned we never ended up giving her because she was fine after the initial shots.

What has been your experience? re-occurring swelling days after even after being treated? I do plan to call the first vet and see exactly what shots she got there and also the vet from this weekend to see what shot(s) they treated her with. Just for comparison...??

Comments (12)