SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lurquizo

Stinging Pests

lurquizo
16 years ago

Anyone out there have any suggestions about what I can do to avoid getting stung by the myriad of hornets, wasps, yellow jackets, & bees out buzzing around my garden every day? I got stung the other day by a bald face hornet & now I'm scared to come out of the house. And I got ripening veggies to pick daily!

I called a pest control guy who came out & knocked down all the paper wasp nests around my house, but he couldn't find the hornet's nest, so he basically told me there wasn't much more he could do at this point. Does this mean that I'm vulnerable to be stung again at any time until the first frost? Gee, that sucks. Isn't there something else I could do? I'm no longer wearing bright colors & wear long pants & sleeves & shoes (in 90 degree heat!). And wearing DEET or Picardin products don't do anything to ward off these creatures. I don't have any sensitivity to these things at this point, but I have read that repeated stings can up the chances of this & I'd like to avoid that at all cost.

Don't get me wrong. I understand how necessary bees & other insects are to the successful pollination of our crops & I'm not suggesting anything to kill these creatures. I just want them to pack up & move elsewhere.

How do you-all deal with these critters? Any thoughts -- ideas -- suggestions?? Summer just got a lot less fun for me & I want to enjoy it outside again.

Thanks!

Laurene

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor