SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pvecholane

Sad goodbye to Picea orientalis ‘Bergman’s Gem’

echolane
3 years ago

Do you ever feel guilty killing a beautiful plant just because it outgrew it’s space? I do! I felt really horrible looking at a stump where just yesterday this beautiful dark green dwarf conifer had been. It had a prominent place in my garden for about 25 years. I moved it once about fifteen years ago which was a pretty big job, but it had outgrown its space. it finally grew so big in the new spot it started changing shape and developing a crown. I have been thinking it was time to move on since last year and something just clicked yesterday and I finally decided It was time to go. I took cuttings yesterday. It is a little early according to propagating sites I consulted, but hopefully at least one cutting will take so it will live on.

I now have a planting space that must be 8’ in one direction and at least 12’ in the other direction. It’s shaded by a big Pin Oak overhead and some tall redwood trees close by. If I can arrange them so they will look nice together I’ll plant a Cornus sessile for its pretty leaves and fall color, an evergreen huckleberry (Vaccinium ovatum) and a small and very slow dwarf Picea pungens cultivar whose name eludes me at the moment.

Comments (19)