SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deanneart

Driveway Garden through the Seasons

deanneart
18 years ago

Well, I have too much time on my hands today so I've been playing with garden pics on the new computer. Anyway, I thought it would be fun to find pics from the same angle in the driveway garden and compare the seasonal changes. All of these photos are from 2005....

This first is a hoot and I didn't even remember taking it. The photograph was taken on January 24th. You can make out the lump in the middle of the photograph which is the large urn. The dried stuff to the left is the Matrona Sedum. It will be back to this all too soon. I guess I won't complain anymore about the heat this summer.

{{gwi:174540}}

This next one is from April 6. Still lots of spring cleanup left to do here but things are beginning to green up and there are a few crocus blooming.

{{gwi:174543}}

What a difference a few weeks make in the spring! This next photograph is from April 28th. I've finally planted some spring flowers in the urn and the grape hyacinth and daffodils are blooming. Everything is greening up and coming to life.

{{gwi:174547}}

I couldn't believe I didn't have any photos from this angle from May but this next pic is from June 9th. Incredible! I forget how fast things grow in the springtime. The large rock that shows up in the earlier photos is completely covered up with the daylily and hakone grass foliage. The 'May Night' Salvia in the foreground was particularly gorgeous this year.

{{gwi:174550}}

July 2 - The 'Stella d'Oro' is beautiful behind the birdbath and things are just bursting with color! Look how much the sambucus has grown behind that urn.

{{gwi:174553}}

July 16th and the garden is really popping. The daylilies, lychnis, and coreopsis are blooming away. You can just see a bit of the 'May Night' in the lower left corner.

{{gwi:174557}}

August 18th, that rudbeckia behind the BB is really making a statement! 'Stella d'Oro' is getting ready to do its rebloom. I've never gotten constant bloom from it as advertised but it does rebloom pretty well for me in this garden. The color goes well with that rudbeckia this time of the year. The Urn has filled in so much you can hardly see the BB anymore and I really love when that variegated Ipomoea fills in. I plant it there because the color of the vine echoes the Adjuga 'Burgundy Glow'. The aster in the foreground is getting ready to do its thing and the May Night still has a few flowers left in it. I love that plant! If you deadhead it regularly it blooms for a very long time. This year instead of just deadheading it I cut this one back almost to the ground after the first flush of flowers and it came back better than the ones I just deadheaded. I'll do the more severe pruning on this plant from now on.

{{gwi:174561}}

So that's it so far and I'm thinking I'll take a few more pics as the garden winds down for the season. I still have anemones and re-blooming iris to come and the Matrona behind the urn is just beginning to open its fall show.

Deanne

Comments (55)