SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
javamom66

Using old driveway as garden/patio -- need ideas!

Trish
13 years ago

We want to use our old asphalt driveway as a garden space and I am seeking ideas. After reading these forums I thought to paint the drive with tennis court paint and use as a patio, but the asphalt is too broken and rough to paint. Eventually we would like to remove the asphalt and replace with pavers, but that is not in the current budget.

The space is roughly 14 feet wide by about 50 feet long (hope to post photos tomorrow if it is not raining). The rest of the yard is an in-ground pool and decking, so this is the only space to add significant "green." One side is bordered by a privacy fence separating our drive from the neighbors. The other side is bordered by a long wooden deck that steps down to the drive the entire length. I can use part of those steps to cluster containers, if needed.

This spring I created some 12" tall raised beds which we placed along the fence separating our driveway from our neighbors. Not bad for a first attempt -- learned a lot! My husband would like to create more raised beds to place in the middle of the driveway, but I am worried about having a hodge podge look. I also learned that the wooden raised beds "leak" dirt on the uneven pavement and create a muddy, dirty mess on the drive. Need to find a fix for that before creating more, or use something else.

We do use some of the drive as a patio space with a firepit and wooden outdoor seating. While this exact same arrangement looked just fine on my old patio, it looks a bit lost and out of place on the larger drive.

After looking through countless books, I think we need to create diffent areas or garden rooms in this space, but I am at a loss of how to do that. It seems to be container gardening on a scale that is a bit overwhelming. Would love to see how others have landscaped a completely hard, flat, and rather long surface! And yes, cost is very much a factor. :-)

Comments (4)