SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woodyoak

driveway borders (and front garden) this morning

woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

'tis hibiscus season out there! The early pale pink hibiscuses started blooming this past week. They are the stars of the driveway border :-) The big red 'Fireball' hibiscuses in the front bed are later to start blooming so no signs of color from them yet.

The dreadful drought continues unabated here but the pink hibiscuses don't seem bothered by it. Other things are are stressed in varying degrees. This spring I tried moving a division of a hosta from the backyard to the end of the driveway on the south side. I'd like to have a big clump there to match the one on the north side... This year has NOT been a good year for this little project! No amount of watering has been able to keep it green so, as you can see in the picture below, it has sort of melted away! The established clump on the other side has been doing fine. I can only hope that the roots may still be alive for the other one to allow it to make a comeback if conditions are better next year!

The hibiscuses are more striking in person when standing at the end of the driveway than they are in that picture! Here are closer views:

The ones with the dark pink eye are the original ones. The ones by the Chinese wisteria are seedlings that are missing the dark eye. And you can see, in the background near the iron arbour, a deeper pink one with a dark pink eye - that is also a seedling.

You can see that the Chinese wisteria has recovered from it's near-death experience last winter and has put out lots of vigorous new growth! I was hoping for a nice secondary summer bloom from it but that hasn't happened. The clematis that grows into it got cut back a fair bit when we hard-pruned the wisteria. So it has only produced a few scattered flowers this year. The 'Boomerang' re-blooming lilac nearby in the 'moat bed' along the ditch is starting to re-bloom as you can see on the bottom right side.

The front bed from the road:

(The grass is still green in the bottom of the ditch but is not in great shape anywhere else!) The iron arbour is pretty naked as the clematises there either refused to grow or wilted! Looking through the arbour at the front bed:

The Heptacodium tree(in the background on the right side) is budding up well now. It usually blooms around the first week of September so I'm wondering if it's going to bloom early this year...

I had intended to plant the heucheras in the pots by the front steps into the garden this summer. Given the dry, dry conditions, I suspect they'll be spending another winter in the garage!

While the drought here is quite severe (only ~ 50% of normal YTD rainfall - a 6" shortfall!) and DH, aside from watering pots, has only given the garden one good supplemental watering a couple of weeks ago, most things are surviving surprisingly well. There is no relief in sight though, so everything will be badly stressed by the end of the growing season I'm sure :-( On the weather maps tracking the extent of the drought, this area is one of the hardest hit. One can only hope next year will be better!

Comments (6)