SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_745185586

Is a base cabinet microwave more "high end" looking than countertop?

Jeanine Kitchen Remodel
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I'm in the middle of planning a kitchen + am trying to make the decision as to where to put a microwave. I definitely do not like over the range microwaves, but am ok with the kind that insert into base cabinets. I have a lot of countertop space + don't really mind keeping my current countertop microwave. However, I wonder if that would look less refined/current. So this leaves the choice between keeping a countertop microwave or having a microwave in the top part of a base cabinet just to the right of the range.

What is a more desired look + also, the base cabinet I am thinking of putting the microwave in will be 30", so I would have to put a frame around that microwave as all the in-cabinet microwaves seem to be only 24". Would that look strange, or is it common to do?

For reference, my kitchen will be predominantly white w/ black accents and it will have the following:

1) Shaker white base cabinets with 2 large drawers (so clean/modern) w/ black hardware;

2) A mixture of Shaker wall cabinets + wooden floating shelves (to open up the space);

3) White w/ some gray marble-veining quartz countertops'

4) White subway tiles;

5) White sink;

6) Stainless 36" oven + stainless fridge;

7) Light wood flooring.

Thanks so much for the help/advice!:)

8) A 36" floor gas oven/range (that is surrounded by the base cabinets). **If I put the microwave in a cabinet, it would be in one of the base cabinets just right of the range.

Comments (17)