SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grovegreenguy

Why I LOVE Joe Pye weed 'Baby Joe' !!

FrozeBudd_z3/4
3 years ago

This perennial looks fantastic from the time it rises from the ground until severe autumn frosts take it down, I have made several divisions and now have five specimens around the place, | never tire of it! I can't remember, I think it grows to about 4 ft, not too tall and imposing as other Joe Pye varieties can be. For those who have never grown these plants, they produce a VERY hard dense crown that makes digging and dividing a real bugger of a chore, lol.

Comments (82)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    2 years ago

Thanks for the tip, trailrunner. I will check out our Lowes on Monday! Glad to see you here!!!

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Trailrunner, when it comes to winter cold, my climate writes the book! I utilize many different types of heliopsis, roses, compact growing hydrangeas, upright sedums, ornamental oregano, ageratum 'High Tide' Blue, rudbeckia, marigolds, zinnias, verbena bonariensis is amazing ... occasionally, a dahlia or two and have a few 'Rose Glow' barberries in there, these are pruned to avoid them becoming too large. The annual 'Amazon Neon' sweet Williams is an outstanding addition of recent years, I just have fun with it all and "attempt" do to a bit of color coordination.

My nearest Lowes is just a bit too far away to be checking out all that often. :(

Marie, I hope you find your 'Baby Joe' ...

• Related Discussions

WANTED - 'Baby Joe' Pye Weed

Q

Comments (1)
    sending you email
    ...See More

Baby Joe Pye Weed or small garden Phlox

Q

Comments (2)
    Yup, I went to a garden center today, and saw a "Little Joe" Pye Weed with toothed leaves. The tall garden phlox, though, looked just like my mystery plant. I guess the leaves lost their variegation? Thx for the help.
    ...See More

Can I transplant Joe Pye Weed now?

Q

Comments (10)
    Lobrien, is the height of you Joe Pye an issue? It responds very well to summer pruning. You can cut it down by 25-50% in late May/early June depending on your zone (mine is also by a fence, so I cut the front by half, and I leave the back stems longer). I will bloom a couple of weeks later and the blooms may be a touch smaller, but there will be more blooms and the plant will be more sturdy. I was tired of my Gateway collapsing in heavy storms and this fixed the problem completely. I also used to tie it to the fence! Sorry if I misunderstood your post.
    ...See More

'Little Joe' Joe Pye Weed: how little, really?

Q

Comments (11)
    Kate, your post didn't list the number of feet. Thansk for the input, everyone. Maybe I will leave it where it is this year to see what it does first. Assuming it is not too hard to move when it is 2 years old. When I googled it I saw a picture in someoneÂs garden where they had harnessed it into being tall and thin with double plant rings. ThatÂs something that could work too in that place in my garden. ItÂs more the spread IÂm concerned about, as my garden is an island bed and there is no more horizontal space. I planted it as a backdrop for some wine-colored daylilies, but whether it will bloom at the same time I have no clue.
    ...See More
  • rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    last year

Rouge, you have a 'BJ' for yourself? ... awesome,

I see no signs of life for my single BJ planted last Fall :(. But then again I have no experience with Pye Weeds....is it a perennial that shows itself later in the spring? (Fingers crossed)

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    last year
    last modified: last year

rouge I just went out and checked on my BJ - nothing showing yet.

last year

Thanks so much @peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada for taking the trouble to check...definitely above and beyond the call of duty!

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    Original Author
    last year

There has been no sustained warmth making things slow to wake up and get going here. Am especially looking forward to last years new release 'Ruby' , there was another new dwarf variety released as well, though it's name escapes me.

last year

there was another new dwarf variety released as well, though it's name escapes me

@FrozeBudd_z3/4, we need names! :)

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    last year

I've been looking daily at all my baby Pye's coming up- they are all showing growth except one Gateway. This will be my first year with any of them, can't wait to see how they do for me.

• lovemycorgi z5b SE michigan
    last year

Still no sign of my Gateway either, planted at the end of last summer. I’m so looking forward to this plant that I check its status every day! Fingers crossed it’s just taking its time.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    Original Author
    last year

'Gateway' sure doesn't disappoint with it's massive blooms!

I have four varieties, 'Baby Joe', 'Little Joe', 'Gateway' and 'Ruby' ... 'Pink Frost' is of a more tender type and didn't winter.

• gawdinfever Z6
    last year

FrozeBudd: now I want one. Or two or three...

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    Original Author
    last year

Gawdinfever, I have a dozen total plants around the place and always excited to come across a newly released variety, but yet so far, 'Baby Joe' is my favorite.

last year

I'm just grateful for this thread refreshing my memory of which ones I planted where...

last year

rouge I just went out and checked on my BJ - nothing showing yet.

I have been checking every day for signs of life and today I see it has made it through its first winter :).

last year

I finally see signs that Gateway has made it, too, how very exciting! :-)

last year

See it now :)

last year

they are all showing growth except one Gateway.

@cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky) did your G finally show itself?

last year

Yes, all of them are up and growing just fine!

• Barrheadlass
    last year

I saw a variegated JP in a catalog…Pink Frost. Anyone have that?

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    Original Author
    last year

'Pink Frost' has unfortunately not wintered for me in my cold zone 3, nice plant though that I should give another try with tucking it next to the foundation of the house.

Barrhead, I live not far from a town of that name.

• Barrheadlass
    last year

In Scotland I assume? My father was born there.

last year

now I want one. Or two or three...

I did chuckle to myself, recalling this thread as I spied this very robust GATEWAY while walking up and down the aisles of a nursery this morning.

(It's now in my possession :))

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    Original Author
    last year

Barrheadlass, well, that got my curiosity up ... James McGuire, one of the first settlers in the area, named Barrhead, Alberta, Canada after his hometown of Barrhead Scotland.

Rouge, step back, you're gonna need to give that new child of yours plenty of room!

• Barrheadlass
    last year

FrozeBudd, i had no idea there was another Barrhead!

last year

Rouge, step back, you're gonna need to give that new child of yours plenty of room!

For sure. As you can see it is huge in its nursery pot. I do a have spot in mind.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    Original Author
    last year

Mmmm, looks close, but that more so resembles a paniculata hydrangea.

last year

Our BJPW, (planted last late summer) is starting to show a teeny bit of that "gorgeousness" I see in the picture in your first post @FrozeBudd_z3/4.

FrozeBudd_z3/4 thanked rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
  • mxk3 z5b_MI
    last year

"Mmmm, looks close, but that more so resembles a paniculata hydrangea."

Looks like a Joe Pye to me. And a spectacular nursery specimen, at that. I'd grab it and run if the cost isn't prohibitive.

I saw a "Ruby" on the bench recently but she didn't come home with me -- I don't have room for any more (not now, anyway....)

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    Original Author
    last year

Mxk3 z5b_MI, I believe rouge has removed the photo he posted inquiring as to the identification of a plant that much resembled a Joe Pye weed, thus my comment regarding the paniculata hydrangea. As for 'Ruby', mine is so far doing well and eagerly anticipating how it develops over the years.

last year

Yes, that ”Gateway” is spectacular! I’ve never seen one so large at any nurseries near me.

I also saw ”Ruby” today, and ”Little Joe” as well. Alas, neither came home with me, as I just have no room at the moment either.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    last year

"Mxk3 z5b_MI, I believe rouge has removed the photo he posted inquiring as to the identification of a plant that much resembled a Joe Pye weed, thus my comment regarding the paniculata hydrangea."

Oh, I thought you meant the photo of the one in the pot that Rouge came home with.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    Original Author
    last year

Lovemycorgi and Mxk3, you both need larger yards then! :) At times, I often wish I hadn't developed sooo many planting beds that actually I've needed to reduce some, there's only so much time and energy in one's day!

Rouge, yes, your 'Baby Joe' is beginning to show its good looks!

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    last year

"Lovemycorgi and Mxk3, you both need larger yards then!"

HAHA yes. But no. I'd love more acreage then just 3, but I'm afraid I bit off a more than I might be able to chew when I get older in the beds department.

I did plant some random natives out in the pasture-turned-meadow, but I don't see any out there. We didn't mow so I don't know if the grass is too tall and hindered the growth of other plants or I just can't see them through the tall grass -- I'm waiting to see the tall ones like helianthus and cup plant to let me know which it is. It's a learning curve for us, I might have to have DH mow in the fall or early spring, but then again nobody mows out in the wild and everything somehow falls into place {shrug}. But I'm sure a big-*ss Joe Pye can fend for itself out there!

FrozeBudd_z3/4 thanked mxk3 z5b_MI
    last year

I, too, have a multi-acre parcel, but my property backs to a river and the deer population is completely out of control. it’s all I can do to protect the perennial beds I currently have from their non-stop ravaging!! I’m thinking of fencing off an area close to my house so I can expand my gardens without worry. :-)

FrozeBudd_z3/4 thanked lovemycorgi z5b SE michigan
  • FrozeBudd_z3/4
    Original Author
    last year

Ahhh, yes, anyone on an larger parcel knows all too well the dedication of time and physical effort of planning, planting, tending and weeding and arsenal of tools and equipment to maintain endless tasks! I have four acres, with about 2 acres in lawn and gardens, much too much for only my two hands to tend, though coming from a large grain farm as we had, I could not imagine living closely rubbing shoulders with anyone! Had gone enthusiastically overboard that some beds I was later forced to delete and others reduced where possible. My harsh far north climate much restricts selection of roses and fine shrubs, evergreens and virtually no broad leaf evergreens are capable of surviving this mean climate, makes it much more challenging filling foundation plantings and all others, heck even the most hardy of evergreens and deciduous shrubs often have a degree of winter damage, ain't no gardening paradise that's for sure, though things can still look fine decent good.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    last year

FB, you're selling yourself short. Your gardens always look spectacular, and I'm amazed at what you do in zone 3/4. Heck, I'm amazed anyone actually lives in zone freaking 3/4, lol, never mind gardens! IMO, your garden IS a paradise!

:)

Dee

FrozeBudd_z3/4 thanked diggerdee zone 6 CT
  • Barrheadlass
    last year

Speaking of Joe Pye…I have Gateway and Little Joe. Virtually every single leaf has holes. I have never seen a culprit…any idea? My yard has lots of snails and slugs, and I dispatch them regularly, but have never seen a single one on Joe.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks Dee, I appreciate your kind comments, there is of course good and bad regarding all climates, mine is often just hard to take, though a blessing is of our generally moderate summer temps and low humidity making for comfortable outdoor living and gardening, until the mosquitoes come out that is! I had dreamt tooo large and bitten off too much, then things only end up suffering and a lot of it never looks as one hoped. Yes, the far northern winter nights of darkness almost do suffocate a person, though I can't imagine living even further north and not seeing the sun rise above the horizon for several months! And that awful bitter arctic cold has one huddled under heaps of warm blankets and the furnace forced to run almost continuously! Surprisingly, though, this region is rather highly populated due to resource wealth and fertile farmlands.

Barrheadlass, for myself, these plants seem to be pretty well left alone by insects and deer as well, I hope you find the culprit or problem.

last year
    last modified: last year

Our "Baby Joe" today, planted last Fall, after reading this thread started by @FrozeBudd_z3/4. Thanks everyone for contributing to this thread.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    Original Author
    last year

Ahhh, nice and blooming ahead of mine. With all the rain earlier in the season, my biggest 'Baby Joe' is well over 5 ft tall, sheesh! That blue phlox of yours is very nice and 'Bobo' is doing its thing!

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    Original Author
    9 months ago
    last modified: 9 months ago

Mine I'd say is about a week less advanced. My issue with getting uber growth on these is my deep digging, I enjoy turning the soil over to a good deep depth and removing stones and heavy clay, sometimes the plants say more than a "BIG" thank you!

Is that the helianthus I spy? I lost mine in one of the few years we experienced winter wet, the ground remaining unfrozen and becoming saturated wet in late winter early spring, I lost several perennials then.

9 months ago

Hey @FrozeBudd_z3/4, the helianthus you are 'spying' is HAPPY DAYS. I have had it almost as long as SUNSHINE DAYDREAM. It is an excellent perennial.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Rouge, do you have a preference between the two varieties, also is one possibly a bit more compact than the other? I really had liked 'Sunshine Daydream'.

9 months ago

I got SD *because* of your positive experience many years back! As mentioned I have both.

(HD on the left; SD on the right)

I think HD looks more floriferous and I think doesn't spread as much, but again both are wonderful perennials.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Awesome, thanks Rouge, guess I'll purchase whatever I "might" find at the nursery. I no longer do much mail order, well cause most places have either entirely closed or shut down their mail order aspect :(.

9 months ago
    last modified: 9 months ago

It was a bit of a hard go for the GATEWAY that I bought June 2022 as it was so dry last year. But it did survive the winter and most of this summer has been so wet this second year Gateway has done well (6 feet tall). Here it is today, starting to flower.

Please show us your Gateway specimens.

• GardenHo_MI_Z5
    8 months ago

Not Gateway but a Noid I have. I dug it up roadside and have moved it around…now in a happy place. 6’ plus 😳

8 months ago

And I saw a stand of JPW at a public garden yesterday.

• GardenHo_MI_Z5
    8 months ago

I once saw a stand about that size at a nursery. It was a different variety though…maybe a bit shorter but richer and beefier. It was stunning!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting