SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nornster

Baby Joe Pye Weed or small garden Phlox

nornster
14 years ago

Hi, all - a couple of years ago, I bought a dwarf garden phlox with variegated leaves and salmon-colored flowers and put it in a raised bed in my soggy back yard garden. Around the same time, I bought a little Joe Pye Weed ("Baby Joe") and put it in a bed with some Monarda. I think that late that summer, I moved the phlox to the bed with the monarda, because I wanted to put annuals in the first bed the next year.

So the next summer the monarda came down with a bad case of powdery mildew (shocker!) and I wanted to get the other plant out of that bed, so I moved it to a flower box on the sunny south side in the front yard. I did well through the winter and came up nicely this spring. But as I look at it, it doesn't have variegated foliage!? Maybe I moved the baby Joe Pye Weed? If so, I need to dig it up soon and move it back to my wet-n-wild back yard, where it will do better - I don't want to wait for it to flower to know for sure. As you'll see in the pictures, it has opposite leaves, and the leaves emerging at the very topped are rimmed with red right now.

Thanks for your help!

Image link:

Comments (2)