SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_780121820

Second Floor Laundry - Custom Drip Pan Needs Replaced

HU-780121820
3 years ago

We are needing to buy a new washer. We also recognize that our second story laundry area is in need of refreshing. Particularly there is a custom 30" by 70" metal pan (this came with the house) covering the alcove flooring which is just plywood. It houses both the dryer and washer. Also in the pan is a small hole (with questionable gunk inside). The hole appears to be an approximately 1 foot concrete pipe attached to the pan. The pan is deteriorating terribly with rust spots that are already eating through so it is not doing the "job" of a drip pan fully anymore.

There are so many questions I have on what to do and what is wrong/right.

We are planning on replacing a top load washer with a front load washer with a pedestal drawer this time due to the amount of trouble we had with the top loader. Is there any drawbacks to a front load washer on the second floor as I saw mixed reviews on that?

Should we just rip out this old pan and replace it with vinyl flooring and a smaller 30x30 washer only drip pan? We were told by the manufacturer drip pans are not recommended for front load washers as I was actually more concerned about the pedestal drawer and they dropped this on me? Do we "need" that concrete tube? How do we know if this is a compliance requirement? Was that drip pan creating extra stability/reinforcement we should consider? Is there any overall advice?

I'm attaching a picture for reference.

Thank you so much in advance.

Comments (3)