SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bridget_in_md

Duet delimma/ tray in second floor laundry room

bridget_in_md
17 years ago

Hi everyone. I've been reading your responses about the duets and second floor laundry rooms, and I was hoping you could give me a little insight on my delimma...

My husband and I just built a home and are going to closing this Friday. In the home we sold, we had a FL Kenmore washer/dryer set. To say that it sounded like an airplane taking off is an understatement! But I loved those machines. My husband leveled it best he could -- I honestly think it was just the unit and the flooring, even though in our "old" house (it was 4 yrs old when we sold it), we had a first floor laundry room over a basement.

I have my heart set on the whirlpool duet set with the pedestals.

Here's the rub: Our new home will have a second floor laundry room. We noticed the builders have already installed a tray that (I assume) the washing machine will sit in. That tray will not allow the drawer of the pedestal to be used. And then, when we measured the tray, we realized that the footprint of the washing machine wouldn't fit in the tray -- they were at least 4" too big. Do you know if they make trays of all sizes? The salesperson at Lowes said that all washers fit in the trays. Obviously, this isn't true!

When we called the builder to ask about our options, he STRONGLY recommended that we do NOT remove the tray. And he said he would NOT recommend putting any front loading machines in a second floor laundry room. But friends of ours have front loading machines in thier second floor laundry room and have had no complaints!

Anyways, it's too late for them to reinforce the floor. But would you recommend me removing the tray and getting the machines I want, or would you recommend us just buying a good top loading machine (currently we are looking at the cabrio or the oasis in the top load category). However, we have friends in the appliance repair side that say the cabrio is bad news too!

I just feel like I cannot win! What do you think? Thanks!

Comments (4)