SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
psyohe

How close can a bathroom sconce be to a corner/side wall? # of receps?

Peke
3 years ago

How close can a bathroom sconce be to a corner wall? When I look at Houzz pictures with a vanity in a corner, it looks like they might be 3-4 inches from the side wall, but pictures can be deceiving.

I assume the sconce placement depends on where the box will be. Drywall is gone, but I am trying to draw the mirrors and lights placement for planning purposes, but I don't know how close the lights can be to the side wall. I always plan before the electrician gets here..no point in being uninformed.

What does the electrical code say?

Also...

I found the code for how far a receptacle has to be from a water source unless it is a GFCI, and read about the distance from a ceiling fixture to a tub, but Is there a minimum number of receptacles for a bathroom? No whirlpool receptacle is needed. This is a hall bathroom that is used by a guest bedroom and any other visitors.

We had a double receptacle (4 GFCI) on the long 12 ft wall next to an enormous L shaped vanity cabinet. (Too big for the space.) We removed it, and now the 4 receps are in the middle of the side wall about 6 ft from the vanity. Should we close it up inside the drywall or move it to a new location or just leave it where it is? We have a 2 GFCI recep on the wall beside the vanity. The right corner side of the vanity, not the main vanity back wall.

I put an R where the two receptacles are. Thanks.

Comments (6)