SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
threeboxerlover

Lavender/Purple Rose Suggestion

Hi everyone! My Lavender Crush did not make it. I tried and tried, and it just wouldn't cooperate. I'm consoling myself with the fact that all the others I planted this year have taken off and are doing well (despite the Japanese Beetle invasion already!). Anyway, I have a spot now and I want to put a purple/lavender rose there. I'd rather it not be a climber, ideally under 5 foot at maturity. The planting spot gets very early sun until around 8 a.m., then is shaded a bit, then full sun from about 11 a.m. throughout the rest of the day. It's very humid here and black spot is a problem (although not so far for me, knock on wood). I have Plum Perfect already so I would like a different variety. I bought Intrigue on a whim when I was picking up mulch (Home Depot) and it's still in it's pot. I thought it was supposed to be purpleish but it looks much more red to me. It's a pretty rose, but just not right for this spot. I am planning to place an order for fall planting and was hoping for a couple choices in case the selection is limited. Thank you all again for your advice! Bobbi

Comments (43)

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    3 years ago

One of my favorites is Twilight Zone. It blooms like crazy

threeboxerlover DEZ7a thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • Related Discussions

Please recommend lavender/light purple coloured hardy roses

Q

Comments (10)
    Sandra Renaissance is probably the hardiest lavender that I grow. Fragrant Plum does well too. I also have Blue River and Melody Parfumme but they were new last year and I'm not sure yet if they survived. Neptune died of canker and wasn't very hardy. Paradise is another one that barely survives for me but it could be the cheap body bag specimen that I have. Ebb Tide and the Prince are both darker purples and both are hardy.
    ...See More

Hardy purple or lavender rose?

Q

Comments (3)
    Reine des Violettes would be a great Hybrid Perpetual for your area. Also, most (all?) of those wonderful purple-blue-gray Gallicas should be fine in your climate. RdV repeats fairly well once it attains some size. The Gallicas will be spring/early summer blooming only.
    ...See More

Small lavender or purple roses?

Q

Comments (36)
    I'm glad you ordered Baby Faurax. I look forward to your reports on it. My Outta the Blue was a nice plant, but sometimes the color was a very modern hot pink. At other times it was a nice purple. It was very healthy & vigorous, but a very stiff plant. It's fragrance was outstanding! I saw several Wild Blue Yonder roses recently at the Fort Worth Botanical Garden. The plants themselves did not look that happy, but the blooms were incredible and a true purple at the time of my visit. Randy
    ...See More

Time to share LAVENDER/PURPLE Roses

Q

Comments (82)
    Lynn, just doing some more thinking here (ha). Have you tried soil acidifier on Ascot? I like the Hi-Yield brand which contains sulfur, iron, and other stuff. I only use acidifier on roses like the hybrid musk Ballerina, which hates alkaline soil and becomes very chlorotic. It could be that the multiflora, which supposedly doesn't like alkaline soil, either, is causing the problems. The soil here is probably not as alkaline as your soil. You could also use fertilizer for acid loving plants, which I do for all my roses. I think this alone helps a lot. I don't think your Ascot looks bad at all--lots of new canes on the plant in fact. Diane
    ...See More
  • Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

Purples and lavenders are among my favorite roses. Black spot isn't a problem here, so I can't comment much on that except to say that I've read many times that Angel Face is very black spot susceptible. Diane

threeboxerlover DEZ7a thanked Diane Brakefield
  • R pnwz8a
    3 years ago

Violets pride is a strong contender!!

threeboxerlover DEZ7a thanked R pnwz8a
  • Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

I don't know why that posted twice. That's Ebb Tide. Diane

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

Ebb Tide, as I mentioned, is the double post, followed by Angel Face, Twilight Zone and Love Song. These are my four favorite purples and lavenders. Diane

• Lisa Adams
    3 years ago

What a bunch of beautiful roses shown here! I really like the purple/lavender roses. I love my ‘Love Song’, but it likes a warm, dry climate. I second R pnwz’s recommendation of Violet’s Pride. All my roses have received minimal care this year. Violet’s Pride has been blooming like crazy. She wasn’t pruned this winter, so she’s gotten rather large. I’ll prune her back when I’ve recovered.

Here‘s Violet’s Pride today, unpruned, unshaped, and not even deadheaded. She looks pretty good for a rose that has only received water as care. Lisa

threeboxerlover DEZ7a thanked Lisa Adams
  • BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    3 years ago

Love Song seems easy to grow, has one of the nicest lavender colors, and blooms like crazy.

threeboxerlover DEZ7a thanked BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
  • Chris Martins Zone6a Chicago
    3 years ago

Wow, there are so many amazing photos on this thread!

A rose that might also work is Ralph Moore’s lovely “miniature” called ‘Sweet Chariot’. It usually opens a dark mauve-pink and then develops beautiful frosty violet tones as it ages, looking like a tiny version of the old gallica ‘Belle de Crécy’. It has a very strong wafting fragrance, like heady Rosa multiflora mixed with sweet rose milk and pleasantly bitter spice. It is one of the few non-HT/floribunda/grandiflora cultivars to win the ARS Gamble Fragrance Award (maybe the only one?).

Although classed as a miniature, I find it grows more like a 3ft x 3ft shrub. It blooms throughout the season in distinct but very heavy flushes. I got mine from High Country Roses.

threeboxerlover DEZ7a thanked Chris Martins Zone6a Chicago
  • Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    3 years ago

That reminds me, Vineyard Song, dubbed by Mr. Moore as "bunch of grapes" is another to consider. FWIW, Violet's Pride could not survive in my yard without spraying. Since I didn't get to that yet it looks terrible and the lack of leaves affects it flowering. I'm so jealous over those who can grow it well. I also grow a single called Christian J that covers itself with charming flowers. I don't yet know its final growth habit.

threeboxerlover DEZ7a thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • purilisaVA-zone7B
    3 years ago

Poseidon flowers a lot and is very healthy in the east coast, Fragrant Plum- just planted, is know n to be floriferous but its the fragrance-super strong like an expensive perfume. Lavender crush does not flower a lot for me. I would love to get Love Song, BenT pictures look fantastic. But I don't spray and have black spot issues, hot and humid south not good for LS. love Simply Magnificent too

threeboxerlover DEZ7a thanked purilisaVA-zone7B
  • dianela7analabama
    3 years ago

Wow this is my favorite color category and they just don’t do as well for me here with all the blackspot. I really WANT love song. I was thinking to suggest quicksilver, but it is a climber or a large bush so I guess it is out of the question. The only other rose I grow beside the ones already mentioned that has done well here is Lavender veranda. It does get some blackspot but not as much as all the other ones I have tried. The plant is around 3 feet tall and a bit narrow.

If you end up having a larger space try quicksilver as a large bush and you won’t be disappointed.

Here is lavender veranda

The blooms are small but it blooms a lot

Quicksilver: first blooms on a tiny band that had been planted 4 months prior. Very blackspot resistant

threeboxerlover DEZ7a thanked dianela7analabama
  • sbrklyn_7bny
    3 years ago

I just got 2 Lavender Veranda this year. Like Dianela said it seems to be very floriferous. Buds just keep popping up. But the flowers are small and there is no fragrance so I probably won’t buy more.

threeboxerlover DEZ7a thanked sbrklyn_7bny
  • Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    3 years ago

OG! I did not realize lavender Veranda was so gorgeous. It reminds me of lavender Crush which is not so great here. Black spot of course. I'm wondering if I just need to water my plants a lot more. My friend in Northern Kentucky just a few miles from me get zero black spot and I do not understand it. Of course he never had roses in this yard so maybe the spores aren't as numerous as they are .. here. Still. Normally like a fragrance would be a killer but for certain situations it's okay.

threeboxerlover DEZ7a thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • lkayetwvz5
    3 years ago

Well drat - I didn't want to hear that about the JBs but I knew they weren't far off.

I grow Love Song here in WV which is a BS pit. I don't have that much problem with it. It doesn't grow that tall for me - maybe 2 1/2' tall and it is surrounded by other perennials that are taller and hide the canes if they defoliate. I went out to take pictures as I have 5 huge blooms on right now but my camera says the 'batteries are exhausted' and now it is pouring down rain so they are gone probably although it does hold it's flowers longer than some others.

Lavender Crush has been a disappointment for me also. The older bush doesn't grow much and the flowers are small and muddled. The new one wants to grow better right now but the flowers are still small and muddled.

Poseidon for me is still a wimpy 1 foot tall and put out exactly 1 bloom again this year. I love my Quicksilvers but they are robust and want to climb. Lavender Veranda was great when I bought it last year but it lost cane despite a mild past winter and the flowers are smaller than last year.

This was when I bought it.

There are so many great lavender/purple colors now to choose from. It's almost always a crapshoot to find the ones that will work best for you.

threeboxerlover DEZ7a thanked lkayetwvz5
  • rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Kristine - that's such a pretty Twilight Zone!

Roseseek - What a fabulous color!! It's a blue-grey!!

Diane - ooooh! I love your Ebb Tide! DOUBLE GASP (cause you have 2 posts. ) :) Your pictures are exquisite!!! Exquisite, I say!!! I'm trying to do Foghorn Leghorn. :)

Lisa - I didn't know that Violet's Pride could look that good! What a rose!!! Mine is rather shrimpy right now, having barely survived the GGDO.

Ben - now that's a LOT of gorgeous blooms!

Dianela - the purple on your Lavender Veranda is so fresh and bright looking! Mmmmmm and the purple on your Quicksilver is like the purple on a Love Heart candy...another mmmmm!

lkaye - lovely Love Song! I'm glad you were able to snap the picture before the rain came.

threeboxerlover DEZ7a thanked rosecanadian
  • threeboxerlover DEZ7a
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

OMG OMG so many BEAUTIFUL choices! Thank you all so much. I was looking at Quicksilver for a different area, I'm actually at the moment, monitoring the sun exposure there to determine if there is enough to make a rose happy. I have seen other pics of QS on here and fell in love. Now I"m going to have to rethink my whole fall plan - there are just too many beautiful ones to choose from! Maybe I need to forget my idea of adding a section of white roses and change that area to Lavender/Purple and put a white rose where lavender crush was. Blue For You, Ebb Tide, Love Song.... Wow, I'm going to research all of these and see which one (ones???) will work best for me. Thank you all again!

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

Threeboxerlover, be sure to check out Twilight Zone, too. As much as I love Ebb Tide, I like TZ better. But they are both great, and I have several of each in different locations. Good luck with your picks. Diane

3 years ago

In my Memorial garden I have

Pope John Paul 2

Bolero

Whirlaway

Love Song

Plum perfect

Quicksilver

Lavender Veranda

Violets pride

Desdamona 3

Blue for you

The Fawn

Charles Renne Macintosh

Lauren

Honestly one of my favorites is Lavender Veranda

kristine_legault's ideas · More Info

• Austin
    3 years ago

Oh my goodness.... so glad I have a baby Veranda in the ground. It was an after thought. Thank you for sharing that beautiful picture.

threeboxerlover DEZ7a thanked Austin
    3 years ago

I may actually get a couple more. they are that pretty

I hope you love yours

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Diane - no one does that purple like you do!!! Swoon!!!

Kristine - I love that fluorescence (???) of 3 blooms in the back...

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

Thanks, Carol. I love Kristine's Lavender Veranda, too, with that lavender shading. Why aren't we reading about Richard lll now as a sleep aid? Back to Richard. Diane

• Austin
    3 years ago

Ha ha on Richard... mine is The British Baking Show. Actually love the show even though I don’t cook. I discovered when streaming it that the British Accent to my Texas ears was like a sleeping pill when watching in bed.

• witchygirrl6bwv
    3 years ago

I have 2 love songs that are barely hanging on. It's my worst purple here. Quicksilver (planted last year) is shooting up, and had 5 blooms on the end of the branches. I have 2 on an arch. One side got bloom munched by deer. Poseidon overwintered better than love song for me, but is defoliated from black spot (same as love song). I put some bayer on them, so hopefully that, with the liquid fence might get me some more purple roses at some point. My poor twilight zone usually does well, but is behind this year too. The deer even chewed on that one, and they usually leave it alone, because it's closer to the house. Quicksilver is the healthiest, but it's a climber. Twilight Zone is the healthiest purple of my non climbers. I dug the worst love song up, put it in a pot, and put a Neil Diamond in it's place. I'm thinking I'll drag it to the garage during the worst of the winter this year, and see if that works.

threeboxerlover DEZ7a thanked witchygirrl6bwv
  • Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

Witchy, I'm sorry for your deer and Love Song troubles (potential song lyrics there). Try Deer Out, the most highly rated repellent on Amazon. I've use a bunch of different repellents over the years, and this works best for me. No guarantees, of course, and no repellent works all of the time, as I'm sure you know. I grow two Love Songs, one since the year it began being sold. It has been a wonderful rose for me, and very tough during our recent siege of bad weather. The blooms are numerous and huge. It does take big breaks between flushes, which I don't like. I find it makes great bouquets that last quite a long time--more than Austins, for sure.

Austin, we had a light earthquake late last night while I was posting on the forum (of course). No problems, and I took out my Richard book, read a little, and promptly feel asleep. When I awoke, totally out of it, I thought hours had passed. Of course, I did one last check on the forum, and found that only 39 minutes had passed since I'd posted about the quake. Geez. Of course, I then stayed up even later, posting some more. Then it was more Richard. Then sleep for a few hours. What a sleep mess I am, but this has been going on all my life. Diane

• DDinSB (Z10b Coastal CA)
    3 years ago

So many gorgeous photos here! I have Love Song -- it really blooms and blooms and is trouble-free. I put it further back since it has no fragrance -- and next to Poet's Wife the color is just lovely. I have a Twilight Zone because I fell in love with Diane's photos -- but in year two TZ just doesn't look as good for me as it does for Diane! Same with Ebb Tide. It just was sort of small and not very vigorous. I have grown Heirloom and Moon Shadow -- both gorgeous and very fragrant, but gophers got them. I think I may want to revisit them...same with Melody Parfume.

Good luck!

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Austinkisses - yeah! I love the British Baking Show too!!!! As to lavender/purple roses...Barbra Streisand did beautifully for me last year....overwintered with about 2 1/5 feet of green cane....which has done absolutely nothing but dry out and shrivel...and its going to be dug up on Friday. Lavenders are tricky. My Charles de Gaulle died too.

But these ones do well for me

- Nicole Carol Miller

- Chartreuse de Parme

- Stainless Steel

Diane - I absolutely love your sense of humor!!! It would have to be a country song. :) Thankfully you have your dear Richard to help you sleep. :) LOL

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

Carol, what can you expect from a diva like Barbra Streisand--oh, you meant a rose?? I'm am sorry you'll be digging her up. What will go in her place? I didn't even need Richard to go to sleep tonight in my rocking chair. I just woke up about 30 minutes ago. Now, I'll have to read him after all because I'm wide awake. Dear Richard will help me out--what a guy. You and Austin will have to make do with a baking show (actually that sounds like fun). Diane

• erasmus_gw
    3 years ago

These are all so beautiful..I want to try Love Song and Lavender Veranda but I have been out of room for awhile. Here's English Perfume:

How about a small flowered one?

Purple Skyliner , young plant:

• Minshen (8b/9a Victoria BC)
    3 years ago

I don’t currently own any lavender roses but I’m planning to get a Poseidon for next spring after seeing it in Robin’s garden. Such a pretty subtle colour and nice vase-shaped uptight bush.

Also on my list is quicksilver (climber). I too saw it in person in Robin’s garden and it’s gorgeous!!! Huge amounts of large blooms.

Violet’s Pride seems like a good rose too.

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Diane - LOL! On a whim, while I was out, I bought a Maria Callas. I couldn't believe I had found a rose...there are very few here. When I got home I looked it up on hmf...it doesn't have good reviews...so we'll see how she does. It's already planted in Babs' pot. Oh no,....falling asleep is the kiss of death for a good night's sleep. LOL I've done that many times. Sigh. :)

Erasmus - I loooove your English Perfume! I would buy that in a heartbeat if I could find one. Oooooh!! I love your Purple Skyliner...what beautiful flowers!

• witchygirrl6bwv
    3 years ago

Don't eat my rose, my achey breaky rose... ewww weeewwww *backup singer eww weewwws from smelling deer repellent* lmao

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

I'm not sure what to make of those lyrics, witchy. Did you have a bad night with some deer repellent spray? I've had that stuff blow back at me straight in the face so many times--the oil of peppermint makes my lips numb. That's an ingredient in Deer Out.

Carol, you nut! Maria Callas was a bigger diva that Babs. Good luck with that rose. By the way, my 18 year old granddaughter, Jemma, had a solo voice recital tonight, and we have a future Callas on our hands. She killed it, but she has a lovelier voice than Callas in my unbiased opinion. It was a rare time out for me and so much fun (I'm still in quarantine). Are you stuck at home, too? I brought rose bouquets to the table, and made a bouquet of Ascot for Jemma's teacher. Oh, I reread your post, and you went out to buy Callas, you lucky dog. Boise's numbers are going up, and we had to go back to level 3 opening up. All the bars had to close because the young people couldn't stay out of them and all tested positive. Diane

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

Erasmus, I love English Perfume, too. So exquisite. Diane

• witchygirrl6bwv
    3 years ago

Diane I wish! The stuff I used smelled like rotten eggs. I might have something better to scare off the deer though. A stray dog has decided I'm his best bud (I'm sure me feeding him had nothing to do with it), and he's guarding the roses. The poor thing was almost starved to death, and not full grown yet. I've heard him bark/growl a few times tonight, so I think I've got myself a dog. I was afraid of him, because he had been up and down the road with a pit bull type looking dog that wasn't friendly, but he turned out to be super friendly. I seem to have moved to a hotspot for abandoned animals. I never saw any strays when I lived in SC. I guess me and this good boy were meant to find each other, but people really make me angry not taking care of animals. I know someone probably dropped him off. Anyway.. I named him Tigger.

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

Witchy, that's so neat about your new dog. I think with this covid thing, there are more abandoned animals. Lots of people are out of work and can't afford a pet anymore. The humane societies around here urge people to think of them if they're in desperate straits, rather than just abandoning their pets. Our animal shelters are out of animals, unbelievably, because so many people seem to want the company of a pet in these times. Back to deer repellents--Deer Out has the rotten egg solids, and they add oil of peppermint to "cover the egg stench up". The stuff also has oil of white pepper so when you get blowback from the repellent, your skin feels slightly burning. I hope your new dog proves to be a good "repellent". Diane

• threeboxerlover DEZ7a
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I ordered a lavender veranda since it has gotten such rave reviews. I intend to also get Twilight Zone, Love Song and Angel Face for Spring planting (or if I can find a place that has them for fall).
    I'm thinking of Violet's Pride too. I also ordered Koko Loko - it's never been available before when I was rose shopping and it was - so I thought I'd give it a try. Thank you all again for the suggestions and beautiful photos.

3 years ago

Oohh, all good choices!

• Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
    3 years ago

I have two mauve roses that are both thornless, fragrant and perfectly disease free in my garden. We get rust and powdery mildew, but Blackspot doesn’t really exist here so I don’t know how they would do in a high blackspot area.

Reine des Violettes, 1860, FR

Excellenz von Schubert, 1909, DE

threeboxerlover DEZ7a thanked Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville