SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
xx4xy0

Remotely choosing flooring. Need help to narrow down samples please.

3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I posted before but I think what I wrote wasn't understood.

Our builder has to repair our foundation and is replacing our flooring at their expense. We can choose any Shaw vinyl and could probably choose a Mohawk color as well as the builder is switching vendors. Since the builder is paying, my husband wants to stick with the 20+ mil flooring from the collections: Titan, Pantheon/Antica, Intrepid, Uptown Now, and Alto.

1. My family is military. We built a house in TX 2 years ago but have since moved to MD. We are 2000 miles from the house. Due to COVID, we can't get to the TX house nor can we get to a local place to see every option in person. Using Shaw's Floorvana app, we can photoshop the floors in our space but we don't have good photos and the colors online don't look the same as they do in person anyway. We need to get the builder an answer ASAP (we were supposed to have it done in March) and need to narrow down colors so we can order samples to view at home.

2. We aren't sure if we will move back to the house. If we move back, we may install white counters and pearl backsplash. So ideally, the floors would have to look good with that too.

The house is a cookie cutter house. The builder didn't offer any options in some homes but our model had a couple of limited options, the choices were literally A or B. I didn't particularly like the options we chose, but like many other owners in the neighborhood, we planned to change things out later. We chose to go with standard options instead of upgrades to keep the cost down and because we didn't like their limited options for upgrades. Tile was the standard flooring. We have light Greige tile floors now but our tile was discontinued, I don't want to get tile again as it's not forgiving in a fall, and I'm excited about the range of colors we can now choose from.

Our current colors. The floors must look good with the current colors. I think the kitchen cabinets and counters will be the biggest factors that will decide the colors we need.

Paint: Sherwin Williams Agreeable Gray, the entire house is painted this color. I love that it can look warm or grey depending on the light and decor. We likely will not repaint the house as it's a lot of wall to cover! This color looks great with almost anything but I'd like to stay away from the more grey colors (some grey tones are ok) as it tends to look cold. It contrasts great against darker colors.

Kitchen Counters: Sensa Crema Pearl granite, the counters are a bit yellow. They don't look bad but they are yellow. I don't want anything to make them look any more yellow than they already are If we stay in the house, I would likely change them.

Cabinets: I think they're close to an espresso color I saw at Lowes. They're very dark brown. It was either the dark brown or a weird dark grey that I didn't like at all. If we stay in the house, we might paint the cabinets but we may also leave them dark. I like the look of white counters and pearl backsplash with darker cabinets.

Carpets: pinkish tinted beigeish color?

Backsplash, shower surround: same color as our current tile, a greige tile. If we stayed in the house, we would likely replace the backsplash but would likely not retile the showers.

Bathroom counters: white marble

The floors will be installed in the downstairs. It's a large open floor plan (close to 1500 sq ft) with a lot of natural light. While we have light floors now, I like the idea of darker colors so the space won't feel so huge. As there is a good chance we will sell this house, I don't want to choose anything too trendy and want to stay away from anything too grey. I don't want the space to feel cold but do like colors between neutral and cool. I don't care for light floors and likely wouldn't like an extremely pale/washed oak kind of color. We have 5 kids and a St Bernard so we'd need something that wouldn't look too dirty too easily. I prefer some dimension but not high contrast between the boards.

Some photoshops from Shaw's Floorvana app. Do any of these work to move towards ordering as samples?

Shaw Chiatta. The size of the boards is messed up so it looks a little funny but I like the color. This is a 12 mil option so we likely wouldn't go with it. I'm just posting because I like it. If it were 20 mil, I'd probably have told the builder to do this one months ago.

Shaw Arcadia Barnboard, Titan, I think it's a bit stripes looking, unsure about the amount of contrast, 9x72" boards, 12 mm thick, 30 mil, pad, embossed

Shaw Ardesia, Pantheon/Antica, 7x48" boards, 8 mm thick, 20 mil, pad, wire brush, beveled, embossed

Shaw Canton Street. Uptown Now, I like the color but don't know it fits, 7x48" boards, 20 mil, 7.3 mm thick, pad

Shaw Chestnut Oak, liked in person but didn't have my colors to see with it, "smoother" than other floors

Shaw Driftwood Oak: Goliath, 7x60" boards, 20 mil

Shaw Ebano Oak, Michelangelo, this one was very dark when I saw it in person but I didn't look at it closely, 8x72" boards, 20 mil, pad, embossed

Shaw Fiano, Pantheon/Antica, this looks meh in photoshop. I liked it in person but didn't have samples my counters or cabinets to see with it. It reminds me of the hardwood floors I have in Annapolis. 7x48" boards, 8 mm thick, 20 mil, pad, wire brush, beveled, embossed

Shaw Giardino, Pantheon, I like this but probably too grey, 7x48" boards, 8 mm thick, 20 mil, pad, wire brush, beveled, embossed

Shaw Lakeshore Drive, Uptown Now, this is about as dark brown as I'd want to go, 7x48" boards, 20 mil, 7.3 mm thick, pad

Shaw Michigan Ave, Uptown Now, very dark grey, 7x48" boards, 20 mil, 7.3 mm thick, pad

Shaw Modern Oak, Titan, I don't care for light colors but thought I'd post it, 9x72" boards, 12 mm thick, 30 mil, pad, embossed

Shaw Pandora Oak, Titan, 9x72" boards, 12 mm thick, 30 mil, pad, embossed

Shaw Plato Oak, Titan, 9x72" boards, 12 mm thick, 30 mil, pad, embossed

Shaw Silver Oak

These are the colors I like for the kitchen if we redo it (white counters, pearl backsplash). But again, the current kitchen is what needs to match. This would just be a bonus and a maybe.

Our preferred options:

Titan: 9x72" boards, 12 mm thick, 30 mil, pad, embossed

Uptown Now: 7x48" boards, 20 mil, 7.3 mm thick, pad

Goliath: 7x60" boards, 20 mil

Intrepid: 9x60" boards, 20 mil

Pantheon or Antica: 7x48" boards, 8 mm thick, 20 mil, pad, wire brush, beveled, embossed

Alto HD Plus: 8x72" boards, 8 mm thick, 20 mil, embossed, beveled

Michelangelo: 8x72" boards, 20 mil, pad, embossed

Comments (11)