SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beaglesdoitbetter1

Narrowed it down to 2 options- please vote again

beaglesdoitbetter1
12 years ago

For anyone following the bookcase saga (or not following it), thanks to some wonderful ideas and feedback from here, I have it narrowed down to essentially 2 options, but with a variable that creates 4 options. These are the finals, it will be one of these. I am probably changing the flower basket onlay in the middle but all else will remain the same.

So, the questions are:

- Arch 1 or Arch 2 (less scalloped or more)

- Flutes or picture frame molding on the side

Any combination thereof can be selected. Please vote or share comments and opinions.

Option 1:

Option 2- this is the same arch as on the kitchen cabinets in the adjacent room:

The fireplace:

Comments (45)

• harrimann
    12 years ago

two

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks mcmjilly - two exactly as is with picture frame molding instead of flutes?

• Related Discussions

VOTE ... Which Cabinet Door (narrowed down to 2 choices)

Q

Comments (16)
    Ditto Fori verbatim on the cabinet decision! I can barely see the difference between them, and if one will save you $800, go with that one. My kitchen has a 45-degree angled wall just like yours does, and I have frameless cabinets as well. In the entire kitchen, I only have fillers in the corners of the 45-degree angle space, and by the dishwasher drawers because we needed to fill up that space. The fillers by the 45-degree angle are about 2-3". Part of that is because they needed to be sure the drawers/cabinet would clear eachother, and part is because our cabinets were not custom and we had to conform to the 3" increment restraint. The fillers were no bigger than what we would have needed if we chose framed cabinets with full overlay doors. Far and away, we gained MUCH more space by using frameless cabinets than we lost to fillers- especially because almost all of our base cabinets are drawers.
    ...See More

narrowing down the paint colors, again

Q

Comments (50)
    about 6 years ago we were building a new house and I spent hours on this forum! I just joined again to look for paint suggestions for another home we now live in. I just had to tell you how much I enjoyed looking through your posts about color choices, it's just good to know that other people agonize over this like me! Two things that I'd like to ask: Can I have your Tole trays? Ha! We must be sisters! I have a collection and love them so very much. I really took them in to consideration when decorating. Back then the hot color was BM 1509 or 1510. It isn't made anymore, but in subsequent homes we had it custom mixed, and at our local Sherwin Williams it was called "Averill Green" as so many people came in and wanted it that had seen our house! They changed the base color, so SW wasn't able to duplicate it anymore, so we went to Menards and they could pull up the mix on their computer and could mix it up there! It's in my kitchen again! I had a horrible time finding the right color that wasn't too bright, too grey, etc. I can see a color in my minds eye and it drives me crazy if I can't find it. I'm gong through it right now with golds. If I can dig them up I'll try to post a few pictures
    ...See More

Need your help again -- vote two options, and ceiling transition

Q

Comments (20)
    I would open the wood walls over the doorways, but leave the walls in. I might possibly widen the doorways, but otherwise leave the wood up where you were thinking of putting sheetrock. By making the doorways taller, you will have more light and air passing back and forth and you will see your kitchen light fixture better. I like the tall cab and would not remove it. I don't see a great improvement to see the entire run of counters and sink. I'd possibly open the doorway up to the cab/counter depth, but not all the way to the bs. The view you want to be focused on is still to the window, not your kitchen electrics and faucet. I'd do the beam or a T molding like you would transition a floor where the ceilings meet. I love open floor plans, but don't think that opening up in the way you proposed will gain you an advantage.
    ...See More

Okay, I've narrowed it down to two (health care) options

Q

Comments (19)
    That's what I was wondering Susan, your ability to have access to out of area and out of Geisinger Health System care. That bill I received wasn't one isolated instance, and not an error. I received treatment at a Geisinger facility for a couple of months on a recommendation from a friend. Every time I had to see the MD in charge of the treatment I was charged as I previously described. BC/BS paid for the Rx but didn't pay for the MD visits til I met the deductibles for BS and Major Medical, 2 different deductibles, I ended up paying for most of the visits out of pocket. A couple of yrs ago I fell and had a severe Fx of my upper arm bone. There was a possibility of needing a shoulder replacement, so I chose to go out the area for surgery in case I did need the replacement. I has BC/BS at the time, so that wasn't an issue. I like to keep my options open, you never know what can happen. It's impossible to see into the future, the best you can do is to try to prepare for the eventualities that you can think of. I always say that if strange things can happen, they will happen to me.
    ...See More
  • petra66_gw
    12 years ago

Two

• kngwd
    12 years ago

I say 2, as pictured, no flutes. I think the flutes might be too much with that beautiful fireplace.

• rococogurl
    12 years ago

See you've moved onto other areas but what ever happened about your floor?

• blfenton
    12 years ago

Two and I think I like the molding better. I notice that the lower molding is ending at the first shelve. Where will the upper molding begin and end. If you were to go with the fluting on #2 I wouldn't say that the decision is wrong given that you have it in other places but I think that the molding is a simpler and cleaner look.

I saw your posted pic of the dining room that you liked with the yellow walls - beautiful space and colours. I can't wait to see it finished.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow- almost unanimous on number two so far! Blfenton, I think I'd like to make sure that the molding starts at the bottom of the curve and ends at the second shelf from the top. That way it will line up.

rococogurl I can't believe I forgot about that thread- I feel bad I never went back to answer anyone there! We got quotes from 3 reclaimed hardwood flooring people per the suggestions in the thread. The only one that was in our price range or close was for a maple with very narrow board and we really did not and do not want narrow planks.

Our other huge issue was that if we did not get something from Anderson or some other related brand in the Anderson family, we were going to have to pay a $6000 restocking fee on the oak! (I was NOT happy about that- I don't even want to go into the whole story of how this happened). So, long story short, we had to get something from that line pretty much and we disliked everything in it except for Natural American cherry.... so that's what we're getting!

It's crazy how much this stuff is going to darken- here is wood laid out from our sample box, pictured next to a sample of what it should look like in about 6 months:

I hope it will be OK b/c it is going on all 5000 sq. feet of the house except the bathrooms!

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

I would say two, except that I still don't think the panels on the vertical styles relate well to the bookcase. They start and stop bases upon not hitting the horizontals on the fireplace but they don't relate well to the bookcase.

If you really feel that you need this detail I would make it the same height as the door panel on the lower and skip it on the upper. I don't see a way to relate the upper panel to anything going on with the shelf portion of the bookcase so to me it looks random.

I don't think you would ever see this in a classical pattern book of the historical type of thing upon which this is based.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

palimpsest, they aren't panels, they are picture frame molding and we are thinking about carrying the picture from molding around the room- does that change your opinion any or no?

I see your point, I definitely do. This is the detail I am least content with, I love the rest of the shelf now but am just not certain on what I can do that will make me like the sides.

What if I did a floral applique down the sides instead of a panel? Is that getting to be too busy now? Probably. Too ornate and too much, right. Seems like it would be... But?

• andi_k
    12 years ago

I agree with palimpsest...I like the arch in 2, but not a fan of the panels on the sides bc it's broken up and detracts from everything else. I'd go with the fluted sides or something simple/plain bc that fireplace is gorgeous!!!

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Anyone like this? What about the rose down the side- it's not well photoshopped. I feel like it's going to get too busy if I do this but maybe it is less busy than the panels?

Here's the possible onlay I'd like in that space if I went this route:

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Andi_K. I designed the fireplace from pictures I found online and had it carved. I'm sure it's a bit of a jumble of styles too, but such is life...

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

The last one you just posted but minus the side inlay

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

It doesn't change my opinion because the proportions of it are contrived to fit, rather than relating

Why not a single flute or a bead up the side panel close to the inner edge of the panel? It creates a shadowline without adding a busy detail.

Each exterior corner in my unit is beaded (plaster and wood), and the plain style that encloses my (paneled) pocket shutters is beaded on the edge. (circa 1838).

If everything is heavily detailed, nothing gets emphasis, if there is a difference in a level of detail, there is a hierarchy of importance. And the fireplace is more important than the bookcases.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Makes sense palimpsest. I just didn't want the book cases to get lost. And I didn't like the plain wood band when we had the original drawings, I thought it looked like too thick of just an area of wood with nothing on it. Know what I mean? But I do have issues w/ both the panels and the flutes, so, I guess I need to keep thinking. I do feel bad for my poor cabinet maker! Then again, for most other rooms (except for the mud room mess I started with!) he just copied my drawing into the CAD program and was done, so I guess I am making up for it by being an extra pain here!

• kmmh
    12 years ago

I like number 2. What about having the sides be plain? In the mock ups, the fireplace is plain but in real life it is very detailed, so maybe you don't need somethign on the sides as well...just a thought. I'm sure whatever you do will look great!

• live_wire_oak
    12 years ago

None of the above. Your fireplace should be the star. Don't take away from it by muddying the issue with too much ornamentation. Both choices are both too ornate and the scalloped arch really doesn't complement the fireplace, even though it does echo some of the fireplace detail. The bookcases should be simple and straight, like the top molding element of the fireplace. That will make them look like a integral element with th3 fireplace while not visually competing with your really ornate mantle.

• rococogurl
    12 years ago

For me, cherry makes a beautiful floor and I love that it will darken. If old furniture is any indication of how dark it can go, I think it will be super glam. Glad you found something. I loathe restocking fees, so understood.

After your post started me thinking about flooring again I fell very hard for some wide French oak. I expect it's a small fortune but have bookmarked it. If we go ahead with a new mbrm bedroom addition I may have you to thank for the floor.

• cjc123
    12 years ago

I like number 2... I agree that the fireplace is so detailed (stunning!!) the bookcases should be plainer. You will have things in the cases so they won't be plain for long. ;-) Sometimes I think holding back is a good thing. I like a room with one "WOW" feature, and the rest as supporting... It's going to be stunning, since he is custom building he should be able to put the molding on once the bookcases are installed, at that point he can tack the molding on and have you tweak it then.
    Good Luck
    Cindy

• Pevo
    12 years ago

I'm with the keep it simple crowd, your fireplace is the star. Adding details to the sides of the bookcase isn't necessary. Also, if you choose option #2 are you going to change the bottom of the bookcase to the same arch as the top or keep it fluted to match the fireplace?

• plllog
    12 years ago

I like the scallop on top with the rest of your design. The proportions of the arch in #2 are a bit off.

Palimpsest's idea for the sides is excellent. I vote for that! The squares are way too heavy, and the rose is too much.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OK, to all who liked simple sides. I made a photoshop- I just grabbed the first picture so ignore that it has the disfavored arch and picture the blue blending better :) Simplified flute:

rococogurl I hope you do your addition :) That sounds lovely.

live_wire_oak I hear you, but my cabinet maker drew it up simple and I thought it made the book cases just disappear too much and not complement the fireplace as well. I guess I'm not a simple girl :S

cjc123 that's a good idea, I emailed my cabinet maker and he said that they don't normally add later because of paint matching but that it should be fine if that's what we decide we need to do. Thanks for the suggestion!

Pevo, I was planning to keep the bottom with the arch that mimics the arch on the fireplace.

• plllog
    12 years ago

I like the new side if it's flat with a couple of flutes. the quickie drawing looks like it could be raised, but I don't think that's real.

I really dislike the bottom scallop that matches the fireplace exactly. A simple double S-curve would be better.

And I still think, knowing your baroque design aesthetic, that the top scallop looks best.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes pllog, I meant it to be flat with only 2 flutes. My photoshop skills in this instance were not especially good.

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

Now, stop the top of the fluted detail coincident with the bottom edge of the top rail of the bookcase.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

With the bottom of the arch, right. I'm liking this- I think this is the way to go if my fiance agrees. It solves a lot of the problems.
    You're OK with the two flutes? I think it mimics the lines on the fireplace subtly.
    I kind of link the archier arch with the simpler sides too.

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

I think I would like One flute, but I am trying to be (sorta, kinda) flexible, since it's your house :)

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks palimpsest :)

I'll try with one flute too and see what my fiance thinks of flutes at all.

I am so happy to have your advice and the advice of everyone else on here as well :) There's so many little details to worry about and I agonize over everything!

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I am with the simpler crowd. Keep in mind you will have books or objects on the shelves as well. It will have plenty of interest without adding details to the sides.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just wanted to update on the final choice and say thanks for everyone's advice. We decided to go with the fancier arch and simpler moldings. I guess we're embracing "more is more" :)

CAD drawing of the final choice:

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

The single flute with the wider plain stile separates it from the overlap of the horizontal elements of the mantel in a good way.

• plllog
    12 years ago

Well, you know I like it. :)

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Finished photos will be posted. Some day.

We got the news our house may be finished EARLIER than expected, ideally in oct. instead of dec. as planned, so I'll have them hopefully in the next few months :)

• plllog
    12 years ago

Woohoo!!! Who ever heard of such a thing!!

Do you have your furniture picked out/designed/otherwise chosen?

Minimum to move in is mattress (better with bedframe), Sofa-ish comfy thing to sit on, and table like thing with chairs. Helps to have dressers if they're not built in, but boxes will do. :) Still, I can't wait to see how you furnish the place. :) Well, at least the part that's attached to the kitchen. :)

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Pllog, HA you are so funny assuming I have any money left to buy furniture after this build ;)

I have a pretty good idea of what I will furnish the house with. Traditional/french manor w/ a dog-friendly twist (lots of slip covered sofas!) I'm going to go to a reseller of antique/traditional furniture that mtnrdredux suggested and to another furniture store she also suggested that isn't too far from us. I am hoping to get quite a few pieces custom made if I can, my cabinet maker won't make furniture for me (I tried!) but I'm hoping he can suggest a mennonite/Amish furniture maker.

I do have a bed for the bedroom and a day bed I'm using as a sofa for the sunroom that I own already. Dressers are built in. And, of course, being the practical person I am, I have already purchased 4 oriental rugs, even though I don't yet have a kitchen table!

Here's what I have/am thinking so far:
    For the kitchen, although none of this is purchased yet, I'm planning on doing a large farmhouse table with wing chairs on either end, a settee up against the windows and then plain benches on the other side. A mesh of these three pictures:

Here's my sunroom daybed (this I bought already):

And my rugs:

• plllog
    12 years ago

Ooh! Nice rugs. Much easier to put the rugs in first than to find ones that work with the furniture. :)

Re the seating, I totally get your vision. It's more shabby chic than French country, but should be very beagle friendly (though in my beagle experience if you let them up on the kitchen seating your lunch won't be long for this world. Maybe a new diet craze? Eat with a beagle?) My one caution on this plan is to sit test everything you put in there very carefully, with a table the proper height, before you buy (definitely choose the table first). If you can get them custom it won't be as much of an issue, but even then a settee sits differently than a bench than an easy chair. Make sure they're easy to get in and out of and that you can actually be comfortable sitting there and eating.

I have big, heavy dining room chairs that are just normal chairs. My mother can't move them. My table is high and so are the chair seats, which some of us find extremely comfortable, and leaves one of my best friends with her legs dangling like a three year old. My brother thinks the backs are too straight.

See! Having a variety of seat types is good! Something for everybody. Just make sure they actually work really well with your table. The wing chair in your second picture looks like it needs a footman to push it in for you, and a big, fluffy pillow behind the back.

Good news? A card table and folding chairs, or wicker patio set from Pier 1, is enough to move in with. :) I say this because I've known people who started off with just a futon, and it's fine for the lounging and sleeping, but a proper hard chair with accompanying table, which is for eating, desk work, cards, laundry folding, etc., makes life innumerably more comfortable. :) Of course, knowing you, your bridge set will be totally rococo. :D (Sorry. Wee little joke. Great table.)

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the advice :)

I have one good beagle and one food stealer, but he's mostly OK after a little correction. They come where I go, so if I'm in the kitchen, that's probably where they'll be. They are spoiled because I work at home and they come on vacations with us and they do NOT like to be left alone, even if 'alone' is two rooms over!

I will definitely get the table first, and your points about making sure all the pieces are comfortable to sit at are great! That's why I think I want to do custom for the kitchen- I want it all made to go together, the settee, table and all, so that it is very comfy and all the right heights; and I'll test it all out first hopefully. I am hoping because my rooms will be very formal (crystal chandeliers, lots of moldings, etc.) that doing more comfortable/traditional in some of the rooms will be OK, and I may try to "formal" it up a bit when I do my wing chairs and benches too, if I can find someone to make them!

Ha, I love that folding table! Very practical :)

• marcolo
    12 years ago

beagles, did you get my response about that PA furniture store? I had great luck with them through ebay, so I encourage you to go and see them in person. I think you'll like their stock, and if they were OK to deal with over the Internet they'll probably be perfectly fine in the flesh, too.

• plllog
    12 years ago

Our beagle ate a sponge. :) Not pretty. Very long time ago. The poodle we had after never ate anything nasty and never disrupted funerals, but he didn't like being alone either. They're pack animals, dogs are. :) The beagle would just hop the fence and run down the avenue. Hence the disrupted funerals full of all those nice people to scratch his ears, don't you know? Taller fence didn't help. He could climb, and we found him walking on the top one day, tightrope style.

When you get your seating custom made, you can actually have it measured to fit your bodies (and any loved ones whom you wish to be especially comfy). You can also sit test it at various stages. You might want to get a designer to work with you on these. Often furniture makers will do whatever you want, but not design. A good designer can help you figure out the exact seat height, seat depth (i.e., whether you can reach your water without a cushion behind), firmness, fabrics, cant of the back, lumbar cushioning, etc., etc., and then keep on top of the maker to make sure it comes out right and you get your sit tests and all. If this is forever furniture that will get recovered when necessary, but otherwise stay there, it's worth it, even if it costs a little more.

Re the style, it's okay to put well chosen casual with the formal shell. The inspiration pics you've shown, which I called "shabby chic" all mashed up, are like that. Think Hollywood glamour girl on the red carpet in Balenciaga and pigeon egg diamonds, with her hair down and beaded thongs. (Not egg beater hair and sneakers.) She looks done up for the occasion, but casual and relaxed, all at once. Same with the casual, comfy, kitchen furniture (i.e., where you're supposed to have casual and comfy) with your fancy formal cabinets and chandeliers. If you had much more formal furnishings you wouldn't have a kitchen feel at all, not even a tarted up, the cook calls in, kitchen where people don't cook. :) All a long winded way of saying (since I don't seem to have to make dinner today), that I like your plan. Same goes for other rooms that are more for living in than being formal in.

Oh! Have you seen Redroze's kitchen? You must have. If not, go look at it. :) It's a much more modern style, and neutral color scheme, but, in some ways, I think a similar vibe. And wing chairs.

• aliris19
    12 years ago

Oh, Beagles (we lived next door to a small passle and used to call them "bagels")... I think those are absolutely gorgeous rugs. Who needs furniture with rugs like that? I think half of Iran calls it a day after the rugs go in (absolutely not intended to diss anyone with that ignorant attempt at humor). I am thoroughly jealous of those. Completely. And I had been liking my bamboo floors up to now ... :)

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

I am surprised by the not blue one.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I didn't see your response before marcolo, but thanks. That's the store I mentioned that we are going to go to. I ran out of time when I was in PA last week to go, but when I go back, we're going up there to look around.

plllog I could see my dog interrupting a funeral too in order to get pet! They have never lived where they had a fenced in yard; they will in the new house, and I'm taking your story as a warning that my fence better be TALL! I like redrozes' wing chairs a lot, I wonder how she sized the wing chairs. I think we probably will try to get a designer involved for the measuring of the table and chairs, since I don't really know what sizes would work. I need to find a furniture maker first.

Thanks aliris19 :) We thought about bamboo floors, I saw some beautiful ones and we were all set to go that way but got forced out of it by a restocking fee from our installer (long story)

palimpsest, the not-blue-one is going in the room we're doing for my dad when he visits. He requested a "not-blue" room and I saw and liked that rug so figured it could work.

• plllog
    12 years ago

Saw this chair

today and thought of you. Notice the blue legs. :)

If you have a good designer, the designer will have furniture makers that he/she uses. You don't have to do the finding! (It's much easier finding the designer...)

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Pretty pllog! I love Horchow. I love the blue legs too. You've got me thinking that maybe I should do the legs on my wing chairs for my table (and perhaps even my table legs?) in the same blue as the accent color on my kitchen cabinets.

I don't know if it will be easier finding the designer where we live, actually. Since we're not too far from Amish country, there are probably a lot of furniture makers. But it isn't a city where there are probably a whole lot of interior designers since we're kind of stuck in the middle of nowhere in between a lot of cities (2 hrs. to NYC, around an hour to Philly). I am sure I'll be posting when the time comes asking for recommendations for designers in the area :)

• plllog
    12 years ago

There are plenty of designers in both cities, and neither are too far to work with you. I have a friend in the southern, middle part of the country who is working with a designer in Washington on her house on the central coast.

I don't know, though. Are the Amish good for soft furniture? I know they have good carpenters, but I haven't seen people showing off their Amish wing chairs. You're right, though, that if you're dealing with highly skilled craftsmen, they might be able to do the design work you need to get the measurements to all fit together right. If you're working with interior designers, they're going to want to use their own sources, rather than your furniture makers.