Menu For 5 Days At The Coast
The pandemic has thrown many out of work, and others have been stuck working from home for months. I have been lucky enough to have the opposite problem. I’ve been working six and seven days a week, almost living at the office some weeks.
Well, in a little over a week I get a break. Three couples and a few adult kids are going to a beach house on the Oregon coast for five nights.
These plans were made with not a little trepidation. Would the coast be “open”? Was it responsible to spend time with other people? Should everyone get Covid tests before arriving? In the end we all just decided to do it, and apparently so did everyone else because it was hard to find a place. Fortunately one of my friends rents out her beach house, which is reportedly very nice - she donates it for various charity auctions - and gave me a “friend” price so game on.
Last night my French friend, “N”, texted me: “Hi all, we are so excited about our trip to Oregon and spending time with you. We are having a cocktail and taking about meals! Let us start thinking about fooooood!”
So, I’m thinking! Naturally that means coming here and asking you to do the thinking for me :-)
Possible dinner ideas for five nights on the Oregon coast? Here’s what we have:
- Enthusiastic cooks in the crew, including N who hails from Brittany and is wonderful with anything remotely French, her husband “W” who is from NYC by way of the South and is the designated griller, and DD who as you know has worked in and run a kitchen since high school.
- Big well equipped kitchen. I’m bringing a couple sous vide sticks, a pressure cooker, a knife roll, maybe a food processor and mixer (I mean, just toss them in the van) and drive 90 minutes - it’s not that far away.
- There’s a good fish market in Cannon Beach, the next town over from where we’ll be. I will probably bring meat, poultry, supplies, from Portland. There are of course good food stores on the coast where we can get anything else.
- Traditionally we eat a lot when we get together. We don’t plan lunch much but dinner is treated seriously :-)
- Everyone involved eats anything.
Ideas? There’s been talk of tartines, duck, oysters ...