SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joachim_ct

Ice Saints will bring frost for East Coast Zone 5

joachim_ct
12 years ago

Back in April I responded to a post as follows:

You might be interested to know that the last killing frost in Germany, which occurs in May, is blamed on "Die drei Eisheiligen" which translates into "the ice saints". They even have names, Pankratius, Servatius, Bonifatius, followed by the icy Sophie". This event usually occurs between 4 to 7 days after the full moon in May. Are there exceptions to this rule? Very rarely. Also, as a biodynamic gardener I have observed and believe the importance of moon cycles for plants for over 40 years.

So, what are my predictions for 2011? Full moon will be May 17 and I plan on setting most of my plants out May 24. I will of course watch the long term weather forecast but as in the past, these predictions are highly inaccurate (end of quote). The long term weather forecast for Southern CT Zone 5 does not predict this. In fact Accuweather predicts pleasant, humid, warmer weather. As usual they are wrong, let's wait and see. I still insist that it is best to wait until May 24, especially in more exposed area's.

Comment (1)