SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fauguy

GE OTR Microwave died. Replacing it and maybe Range too, suggestions?

fauguy
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Back in 2002 we installed a GE Profile Range (Bisque, Smooth Top, Convection) and also a GE Profile OTR microwave. In 2010 the Magnetron in the Microwave went bad (wouldn't heat but still had power). So we replaced it with a GE Profile Convection Microwave in Stainless, and we had hoped to replace the Bisque color Range.

Now 10 years later, we still have the same Range, as we've had to replace the Miele Dishwasher with another Miele, and new Maytag 575 Washer & Dryer. But last week the Microwave completely lost power when I went to microwave something - all power to the unit is out. I ordered and installed a new Main Line fuse in the Microwave and other round-silver "thermometers". Doing this did regain power to the unit, but once I engaged the microwave, it all went dead again. So it's either the Magnetron or the High Voltage Converter, would be my guess.

So that leaves us with either having GE Repair come and fix it (have to get a quote from them on Thursday) OR replace the microwave (again).

If I stayed with GE, the similar model of Convection Microwave would be PVM9179SKSS and goes for about $550 local. But since I haven't used the "convection" part in years, I don't really need that, so then the model PVM9215SKSS (non-convection) would be next at about $530 (not much of a price difference), followed by the JVM7195SKSS $300 and JVM6175YKFS $280. Keep in mind the only GE microwave with fingerprint resistant stainless is the bottom model JVM6175YKFS (not sure why).

One thing I noticed is that my old model had a Manufacture 5 Year Parts Warranty on the Magnetron, but now it is just 1 year on the new models (a way for GE to save money). LG and Samsung have a 10 year Magnetron Parts Warranty, but their Microwaves don't see to last very long and seem to have quality issues based on reviews that I've seen.

Now with (maybe) replacing the Microwave (if the cost to fix is over $250), we're also thinking it may be time to replace the (still working) bisque GE Profile Range with a new model, so it will all match. For years we had wanted to go the Induction route, but now we're just not sure, even through we have (some) new cookware that is induction ready, we have a lot of older items, pots, pressure cooker, roasters that would not work with induction - not to mention the price difference of the Range. The GE Profile Induction slide-in model PHS930SLSS is $2500, but instead the radiant heat model PSS93YPFS is on sale at $1600.

Based on that, would probably go with the PSS93YPFS, and is uses the same smooth glass touch controls for the burners and the oven - though I wonder how well these "glass touch" controls are made and would last over time compared to standard knob dials for the burners.

Based on that, I looked at the GE Cafe model CES700P2MS1 since it has the burner knobs on the front and is also $1600 - but then the Cafe Microwaves cost a few hundred more than the Profile.

So at this point I'm not sure what to do. First waiting to see this Thursday when the tech come out how much it would be to just fix the old microwave. And if it is too much, then look at replacing it - and maybe the range too (or later this year) so they match.

All I'm wanting to know is if price difference between Cafe over Profile is worth it?

On the PSS93YPFS Range with touch controls (same as onPHS930SLSS), is that a concern for issues down the road - would knob dials be better?

Comments (5)