SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crashboombang

? about otr microwave not used otr

crashboombang
15 years ago

Here is my issue...I have a new house, and my kitchen has a cooktop with a hood. My microwave is currently in a cabinet over my prep sink, which is great location-wise in the kitchen, except for the fact that the cabinet maker put it up a little too high. It's not terrible, and I could live with it, but it is slightly annoying. My current microwave is a shallow depth GE (sorry can't remember model # right now) and it's fine for our needs, but nothing spectacular, and we could easily use it in our basement bar area if we replace it. Long story short about our cabinet maker, in addition to this screw-up, he made various other minor screw-ups on our cabinets, before having a sort of melt-down/flip-out kind of thing. So, we're currently having some of these things fixed/tweaked by another cabinet maker. I'm wanting to try to fix the microwave issue, but without the time/money/waste involved in completely re-doing the cabinet the microwave is currently housed in. Which brings me to an OTR microwave. It seems that this option might be the best for my situation. The cabinet space above the prep sink is 30 inches wide, so I think a standard OTR would fit here. I have read several anti-OTR posts here, but many seem to focus on the downside of OTRs relating specifically to having them over a range and using them for ventilation of a cooktop, neither of which I would be doing. Here are the pros I see to doing this:

1) I can get a decent size/featured microwave (possibly even convection), with a MAXIMUM depth of about 15 inches (would like to keep it at this depth, for asthetics with current cabinets)

2) An OTR would have an undercounter light dedicated to my prep sink, with the switch located right above the sink, instead of having to turn on all of the undercounter lights, using a switch that is further away just to get light over my prep sink (yes, I also made the mistake of thinking that electricians had more of a thought in their brains than "put in x# of switches, and x# of lights")

3) this seems like it will be the simplest way to "fix" the current issue, without having to completely re-do the existing cabinet, and will give a somewhat seamless look without giving a look that it was re-done after the fact

I have also considered the Sharp undercounter microwave, since I don't need ventilation, but I think it might be just a tad deeper than I want.

So, my question is, does this sound reasonable, or is there something I'm missing about OTR microwaves that makes them "bad" as microwaves, beyond the issues with placing them above a cooktop? Any opinions/advice/pros and cons or other ideas would be greatly appreciated. If you think this is a good idea, recommendations for an OTR microwave would also be appreciated. Thanks for reading this, sorry it ened up being so long!

Comments (3)