SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
moliep

Is my Gertrude Jekyll dying?

moliep
3 years ago

Gertrude Jekyll has been growing with no fertilizing or spraying since she was put in in the spring of 2019. She grows in full sun and in great soil that has been enriched with compost over the 17 years that we’ve lived here in southern CT.

When we purchased GJ, the worker at the garden center said to trim her stems after GJ flowers if we wanted her to remain bushy. She also said that when she cuts the stems back, she hits the ends with a drop of crazy glue to seal them. I’ve never heard of that technique! Do any of you do that? I didn’t. We wanted to see what she would do on her own.

Some of you may recall that I asked for advice when her canes became so long last year … as tall as I am. The suggestions were to peg her along the fence. I did that early this year when the canes could reach the fence behind her. This year GJ started out beautifully in the the warm weather with canes full of green leaves and buds all along them. Both her flowers and leaves were luxurious in early June.

But suddenly GJ started looking awful! The leaves are yellowing and have holes in them.

Some of the new flower buds have just collapsed and fallen over at the ends of their stems, like the middle of the next photo.

Many of the longer canes are bare of leaves and/or all yellow at the ends. Some of canes have browned and died completely, mostly the ones inside.

Any suggestions as to what went wrong? I want to save this beautiful rose.

Thanks,

Molie

Comments (12)