SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fragrancenutter

Gertrude Jekyll has finally won my heart

fragrancenutter
8 years ago

I have wanted to grow this rose for many years because of the legendary fragrance she is supposed to have but she has many bad reports especially from warmer zones. I finally decided to get her 1 year ago and last year she only produced a few flowers in Spring which had no fragrance!! She did have loads of thorns and no repeat after Spring. I hacked her back as some people seem to think she repeats better when hard pruned but she still did not repeat bloom. I trained the remaining canes in winter horizontally and spiral the rest up stakes to force lateral flowering canes. Finally she has produced quite a lot of blooms this Spring and her blooms have been extremely fragrant this Spring!! She is most fragrant in my climate when I cut her at half open stage of buds and bring her inside to open in a vase. The fragrance is totally worth all the trouble! She really smells very very good, and I have many extremely fragrant roses to compare with. I finally understood what the hype is all about. She is now off my shovel pruning list.

There aren't many open flowers on the bush because I cut all the flowers and bring them inside so that I can enjoy their amazing fragrance!

Comments (11)