Growing native plants for wildlife.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Year 2 of growing natives from seed. Everone is welcome to join in, everone. We need to try to do what we can to prevent the next man made extinction that's already happening.

SaveComment834Like2
Comments (834)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dandy_line (Z3b N Cent Mn)

My sawflies last year really defoliated the Dogwoods. When I first noticed it, I thought the deer were chewing them up. But those bugs are so ugly looking that I can't imagine a bird wanting to eat it.

Skip-I have a Pow wow wild berry trying to produce foliage right now and it's still not going to make it before frost. The thing never bloomed after its first dismal year. I have to just dump it and chalk it up to a learning curve. I don't think I have any original Cheyenne spirit from the 1st generation of seed. Developing my own line will be more fun I think.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Yay for a Sassafras! Is it in a good place? I read that they are hard to move. More food for your spicebush swallowtails. I thought at first that I have a partridge pea coming up in a pot with my slender golden tops. Didn’t have any in a few years, so I guess I forgot their look until this one started to bloom. Now I know it’s not. Could be Sesbania herbacea? But there are no tinges of color on the blooms. The leaves do close up at night. This would be native here, but is it useful or just a pain?

I am pretty sure the bluebirds raised their young ones almost exclusively on the sawfly larvae on my hibiscus close to their box. They were constantly in and out of there. Saw this one on a birch today. Looked to be the only one, so I guess the birds are on it.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Yes Iris the tree is in a good place, wont have to do anything with it. The Sesbania is considered a noxious weed some places so keep an eye on it.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Sesbania herbacea is considered noxious only in Arkansas and Louisiana. There are 2 more species that occur in SC. but they look totally different. One native, the other non native. Some flowers on Google images are just plain yellow with no contrasting colors. I really like the Callirhoe and Silene stellata combination. I just planted sbout 5 Callirhoe involucrata plants. They finally germinated for me. I already have some C. bushii plants. It will be interesting to compare them. I really like the Echinacea with the dark red stems. There is a cultivar famous for that coloring. I'm thinking maybe 'Pow Wow'. Isn't it strange how many 'gardeners ' are obsessed with names lol. They can't be happy with a regular straight species Agastache foeniculum, but give them 'Blue Spires ' and they are instantly on cloud 9. How strange and perverted imo. And missing sleep because you can't discover the true name of your sterile, boring hosta, that looks like 2000 other hostas. (?) I don't think the Sensative Partridge Pea has the quick reflexes of Mimosa pudica. You kind of have to stay with it and fondle it for a spell, before it moves. The highest temps yet this week. I hope there are still seedlings alive to plant ,by the time the weather starts to cool. I had this terrible thought that it will probably go from Sahara type weather to a Scandinavian winter, and it will then be too cold to plant. Tornado season's not over yet.🤣😂

https://youtu.be/lH_aPoRv-PU

Shagbark? Wanna shag?😂

Elymus histrix

A wide part in the Illinois and Michigan Canal.

Helianthus hirsutus, very similar to H. divaricatus, but with rougher leaves.

I've had this obedient plant for decades. At times it's nearly taken over, and at times it declined. I'm trying to bring it back up to a huge healthy clump again. I need to switch its place with the Verbena hastata, so the Physostegia gets even more sun. Another great hummingbird plant.

A frog made its home in my water pot. I startled him and he jumped out, but afterwards he jumped back in off the ground. How do they sense the water? This is a big wake up call telling me that I need to build a pond. I added the brick life raft. He can probably snag bugs that land for a drink. I'm going to keep the water level up for my new little friend. My terraced beds are made with railroad ties. After 30 years the wood is old and rotting. On the one hand, I'd like to bring it all down to ground level, but that's a lot of physical work. I'd have to dig out and save all the good soil in the beds, and then dig out the crummy clay soil in the ground and replace it with the good soil. I think I'll just replace the railroad ti

es with bricks. I already started with 1 line of bricks in the sandy cactus bed. Bricks should last forever, if tornados don't blow them away.

A serpentaria from Rod. The sun shines on my serpentaria, and I love it. Stunning! Magnificent branching pattern!

Collinsonia canadense. It has been getting eaten by some caterpillars, but I haven't seen them yet. It's a host plant for some moths. The flowers are so cool looking. You can probably grow a few different Collinsonia Iris. The pink flowering species is beautiful.

I wonder how Zach is doing? Haven't heard from him in a while.

1 Like Save    
Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

The brick is a good idea, in the pond and as edging. Everyone says the obedient plant is a crazy spreader, you must have a good one. I have some Collinsonia to plant too. Yeah its hot here, 91 degrees and I just spent a couple hours pulling miles of mile-a-minute vine and making them into big tumble weeds. Mostly on my neighbors property, but he's not paying attention. Then I mowed a whole bunch of japanese stilt grass, I hope I didn't mow it too early, its so hard to get the timing right. I didn't see it flowering but it seems to go from nothing to seeds the second you stop paying attention. Theres still a lot more but Im afraid if I mow it all it will open a big wide corridor for the deer to walk through and start snacking on my plants. Have to drag so brush over to block the way before I mow the rest.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Helianthus hirsutus
You could use Ageratina as a barrier for the deer. It sure spreads fast. I have hundreds of seedlings where I planted some last year by the oak tree. I think I want to remove all of them and use some other late flowering natives instead. I just watered all the pots for the second time today. I need to rig up a shade screen for these super hot days. I ended up with 2 Boltonia plants and 2 Doellingeria plants. Only 1 Circium altissimum, and it needs to get in the ground. My Woodland Sunflowers are getting ready to bloom 1st year from seed.

Bidens cernua

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Everything is looking great, Jay! Next thing you know, you will grow a water lily so your new friend has a pad to sit on. I will need to look up the Collinsonia. How come plants that are overgrown by others look often so much better? The skull cap peeking out from other plants is looking so much healthier.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

What kind of coneflowers are those with the green centers that are behind the skullcap? I went to the prairie at the park district headquarters.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Jay I have some white snakeroot growing but it doesnt grow in that spot. Do you have to water that Bidens frequently? Is that common milkweed at the prairie? Whats the last blue flower?

Iris, looks like plants grow happier with friends

Save     Thanked by Jay 6a Chicago
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

The last pic is Lobelia siphilitica. There are 2 ponds there, and 1 of them completely dried up, and the other still had some water. A lot of swallows were flying around eating bugs. I didn't see any mountain mint there this year. Maybe its too dry. There were some tall Silphiums, about 12 ft. I water the Bidens every day. They are growing fast. I also have some Bidens aristosa and bipinnatifida. A friend went to Braidwood Dunes and found and posted some plants that I haven't seen there yet, like Rhexia. I want to go back and look for it, but not in this heat. Last time I got lost in the intense heat and I had to take giant steps to clear the marsh grass and then later at home I got intense painful cramps in my legs lol. I ordered a new jeweler's loupe for botanising. I read the best powers to use are 10x and 20x. These guys carry backpacks with a lot of tools.

Prairie Moon

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Nice. Im seeing a lot of Rhexia this year, just saw some at a third location. Its more common than I thought. Im seeing this plant Decodon verticillatus everywhere too.

I finally saw some ghost pipes today, Monotropa uniflora. Everyone has been posting them all over instagram the last few months.

I need a phone with a macro feature on the camera.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Does anyone use instagram, this company Refugia Design out of Philly is awesome https://instagram.com/refugiadesign?igshid=1tynt7r5v27ag 

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

My Instagram account was hijacked by a guy from Azerbaijan, so I sabotaged it, and not sure they'll take me back You're finding some nice plants Skip. I've yet to see Ghost Pipes in person. Would the Decodon be hard to tell apart from the invasive Purple Loosestrife? It can also grow here in Illinois, according to bonap.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

From what I can tell purple loosestrife has more of an inflourescence at the tip instead of flowers at the nodes, and the veins are more prominent on purple loosestrife leaves.

I found a couple tiny hypericums too

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Great pictures again from both of you! Jay, the yellow flower is flopped over ashy sunflower. It has all kinds of plants buried. I have this one

not as good looking as the one in your picture.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I think your's looks better. Did you get any rain from the hurricane Iris? I hope some makes it up here .

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Did get .25 from Marco. Might get something from Laura on Saturday, but am more worried about Javi getting severe weather from that. Currently typing with my left hand. Encountered a wasp with a bad temper today.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Your hand is swollen. Are you allergic to stings.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1231976753631930/permalink/1585177131645222/

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I hardly ever get stung or bitten by anything other than mosquitos or ants. Weird reaction this time around. Sumacs are starting to bloom here.

wish my strawberry bush could finally get out of the cage. But it keeps on being eaten whenever a leaf sticks out.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

What species is Strawberry Bush. A fb friend made this video. ❤

https://youtu.be/IPxSNRY1c8A

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

The Euonymus americanus. Going to have to check out the video.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Yeah, thanks. Great video!

Save    

That looks really bad Iris. I hope nothing bad happens there.

I found two new plants today that I posted on NTP and Jay came through mostly. At a riding trail along the RR track, all native and undisturbed terrain.

Mirabilis nyctaginea according to Jay/ Kinda cool looking. I'll collect some seed later.

A white Liatris. Liatris aspera, again by jay. I definitely will get seeds this fall. Think I'll call it "Snow Fall". I don't care mush for white in my garden but I like this better than the species!

I also collected seed from Prunus pumilla and Aschlepia tuberosa too.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Dandy, both of those species can be either/or like a said. I have a little Liatris cylindrical plant that bloomed surprisingly. It's supposed to rain later today and then finally a cool down.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Nice find Dandy.

It wont stop raining here at least once a day. It was cool on Wednesday then rained overnight, yesterday was 90 with a hot wind like being in a blow drier, all the plants looked so sad, then there were insane downpours last night. Mid 80s today with more thunderstorms later and the remnants of hurricane Laura tomorrow. I need a 24 hour rain-free window to go outside and spray the daylights out of the creeping charlie. Found some seed box, Ludwigia, at the park today

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Very nice plants, Dandy. Skip, I will take some of your rain. Might get some tonight from Laura, but it looks it might end up mostly north of us. Swelling in the hand is slowly going down, so it will be fine. Might even fit in my glove by tomorrow :) No new interesting plants here. Still fighting morning glories of all colors. Was wondering why the little flycatcher is spending so much time there. Found Dandy’s favorites

Milkweeds are all kinds of busy.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Skip, try to collect some of those Ludwigia seeds.

Geometer moth, maybe Chickweed Geometer?

Eupatorium altissima and Bidens aristosa

Pasture thistle. I grew 4 large plants and still no Lady cats?

Euthamia and Solidago

Cottonwood

It was so hot that I didn't walk very far.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Glad your hand is getting better, Iris. What kind of wasp was it, how bad did it hurt?

Jay those are awesome scenes, look at that bidens and eupatorium wow. Is that Indian grass?

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Sorgastrum nutans yes.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Well, not a drop of rain around here. Really have to be careful about pulling grass.

Felt really sorry for this one. It’s on cross vine, so I guess rustic Sphinx moth.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Still no end in sight to the rain here. i guess that will make it easier to start planting stuff from out of my cold frame. Really getting the itch to pick up a seed mix, but a lot of the seed is actually surprisingly expensive, especially the part shade stuff.

Dwayne Estes from the South eastern Grassland Initiative was on the Native Plants Healthy Planet podcast yesterday, talking about how much of the eastern US was more savanna-like than deep forest you'd think of. Talking about how bison and elk used to roam Virginia, that was surprising. Now I want to go for more of the grassland look than leaf litter or the mess of vines and dewberry thats trying to take over everything.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Where can I get that podcast? At the group? A big system rolled though last night, but it missed us completely. I spent a long time watering today. The weather cooled down, and it's not as humid.

Liatris aspera.

3 mating pairs of soldier beetles in close proximity. Every soldier beetle I saw was mating.

Liatris aspera

Giant yellow hyssup. Very rare around here. This is the only one I've seen. I think it's maybe slightly prettier than my green and white flowered A. scrophularifolia

Primordial

I think most Verbesina species have flowers that look like they are missing petals, except a couple species like V. encelioides, and V. helianthoides. V. walteri has no ray petals at all. They are all easy to grow, tough plants.

I love these little honeycomb flowers of the Eupatorium. Eutrochium is similar. Ageratina actually has little miniature flowers with ray petals. We are only familiar with the 3 species perfoliatum, serotinum, and altissimum, but there are 25 more species of Eupatorium in North America, and probably more to come after more research. Our 3 species have the largest range, while some others are restricted to much smaller areas.

Goldenrod, but is it a Euthamia or a Solidago, or an Oligoneuron? I know Euthamia caroliniana has very narrow leaves. Maybe this is E. graminifolia?

My syriaca bloomed months ago. There wasn't as many monarch cats this year compared to 2018 and 2019, and there was a big drop in butterflies altogether.

I saw this grass, and I like it, but don't know the name.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Thats a nice looking Liatris. That looks like Euthamia graminifolia and the last grass looks similar to Tridens flavus. The podcast is on the group or their website https://www.nativeplantshealthyplanet.com/p/blog-page.html?m=1

Just saw a town in one of the Dakotas woke up to hundreds of dead monarchs thanks to their town's attempts to spray the mosquitos. The BLM (I think?) also sprayed broad section pesticides all over the western rangelands to kill grass hoppers and improve cattle forage. People make the worst choices too often, its crazy

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

That’s really sad, Skip. How is the insect population in your yard? Is it a good year?

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Yeah its been good, especially bees. Ive seen a lot of tiny bees that Ive never looked for before, but since I've heard a couple talks by Heather Holm and Sam Droege of USGSBIML, and follow them on Instagram I've started looking. A good amount of monarchs not so many other big ones.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I'll compare that grass to my purple top. Mine lean over more, and don't stand straight up.

Panicum virgatum red cv

Ptelea trifoliata with seeds. I scattered a bunch of Hop Tree seeds here late last year, thinking there were none here. I was wrong. I'm glad I was wrong. 😁

Verbesina alternifolia can flower in moderate shade.

Asclepias syriaca. Unfortunately, I don't hit these places at the best time for taking pictures. I'm just a shadow of my former self haha😂

Snapping Turtle heaven. Long ago horses pulled barges through this canal. Since then both sides have grown trees.

Taken from the bridge

https://www.digitalatlasofancientlife.org/learn/embryophytes/tracheophytes/leaves/

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Well I finally did it, I sprayed my collection of weeds that was a lawn with glyphosate, especially any creeping charlie and Japanese honeysuckle. I should have done it 3 weeks ago, but I was looking at some other procedure. Should be good enough. Next I have to rent a core aerator and go to town with that. Then I'll sow this grass seed, and hopefully not have 50 million weeds dropping seed every spring. Consider it a cover crop until I can fill it with other stuff.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

That's a relief to finally get that done . Do you just leave the plugs from the aerator on the ground? My front yard is very compacted, like concrete.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Jay, looks like you had another great field trip. Did you get rain yet or still have to water daily?

Skip, glad your insect population is good. The only big butterfly I am still missing is the Giant Swallowtail. Not sure it will still show up. Love all the little bees. Wish I would be better at identifying them. The bumble bee I posted about in July and seek identified as black and gold? Someone on INaturalist verified the sighting today. Really cool since BugGuide says it was never recorded in South Carolina. Weeds are pretty hopeless around here. Now there is a bunch of Japanese clover around. At least I think it is that. Where does this all come from?

My first batch of Black Swallowtail caterpillars is growing. Can’t believe how late in the year they showed up.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Yeah you just leave the plugs on the ground. Areas of my yard are very hard and compact, even after a couple days of rain I cant push a garden stake in more than a few inches.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Lespedeza capitata, Diervilla lonicera

I have this 1 good sized Senna obtusifolia. Not nibbled on unfortunately, but I will experience Sicklepod blooming for the first time.

Helianthus anuus ( Wild Form)

Asclepias fascicularis.

Purple Love Grass?

Elephantopus carolinianus. The flowers close up at night.

Save    
Save    
Save    

Just woke up to nice overnight rain total of 1 inch. Total for month of August is 6 1/2 inches so I didn't have to water as much. plant metabolism should start slowing down now so I may not have to water again this year.

Jay-that Asclepias fascicularis looks yummy. I don't think it's native here though.

I had read that article from the Mn naturalist but wasn't too impressed. He(like a lot of others) seemed to be pushing the Oak trees for everyone when they are only native in about 1/3 rd of the state. We have three distinct land forms here: Hardwood forest, Pine forest, Prairie. Whereas, I go around telling anyone who will listen in my area(pine lands) that those oaks are not native here and do more harm than good. Rant!

Joe Pye Weed "Glow", 2nd year seedlings

Echinacea "Cheyenne Spirit" 2nd year seedlings

Dewberry seems to be thriving more now

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Everything is looking great in your yards. I have given up on believing the weather forecast. Still no rain here. My sicklepot patches are really busy.

still have some of the slender golden tops in pots, but they are starting to bloom

Love is in the air all over the place :)

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Dandy, climate change is shifting the ranges of boreal pine dominated forests and the northern hardwoods. The pines should be moving north. The pine and spruce beetles are also destroying everything, I read like a 40% loss of crop in Canada or Russia forget which, huge hit. Is that a factor in the oak recommendation or you think hes just an oak fan?

Wow, the festivities are raging on in Iris' yard.

I was reading a botanical inventory of southern NJ from 1910. Interesting stuff, lots of northern plants in my area, connections to the mountains, northern latitudes, piedmont and the coastal plain. The focus was on pineland specialists and basically glossed over my area but that seems like such a huge oversight. I bet there was really high biodiversity here before europeans converted it all to farmland. The survey mentioned some plants I thought were outside my area.

I weeded out and mowed down tons of stilt grass today. Finally feel like Im taking some concrete steps. I got a quote for a custom seed mix from Prairie Moon, it was cheaper than my calculations pointed to, some species seed are expensive like meadow phlox and horse gentian. Waiting to hear from Pinelands nursery to see if they can provide the rest of the mix. Im excited to try growing a big garden direct sowed from seed.

Oh yeah, pics

Elephantopus carolinianus

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Skip, I can’t wait to see the results of that project! I might follow in some part of my yard. Yes, things are really hopping around here finally. I have plenty of milkweeds, but a lot of it is starting to look tired. The Monarchs are mowing through it and still plenty to come it seems. Milkweed Tussock moth caterpillars are also still all over. But so adorable. Hope it will last through migration.

My silver rods are starting to bloom. So pretty. The goldenrod that showed up a few years ago is not far behind. Hope I am going to figure out what it is. Pretty well behaved.

Told my husband to put the ladder back in the garage on Saturday. Well, he forgot....Gulf Fritilary all over the place now.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Dandy, the Asclepias fascicularis isn't exactly native here either.

It liked the hot weather so the fascicularis did very well, while my 1st year Illinois native milkweeds struggled. You still have winecups blooming, and the Joe Pye looks great. I wonder if there is another, shorter Echinacea native to Illinois. I tried the E. tenneseensis once long ago. It didn't go well, but I've learned a lot since. I thought the sicklepod flowers would be wide open. They never fully open. Last year none got to bloom. I have a a bush sicklepod. Not even 1 caterpillar. I tried pulling out all the snakeroots in the shade garden. They are just starting to bloom. I only planted about 6 of them last year, and this year, there were hundreds and they were all going to bloom in their 1st year too. It looks like Elephantopus self seeds really well. Some of the Elephantopus seedlings self sown from last years seedlings are blooming too. I think I have a couple small Silverrod seedlings to plant. There are a lot of wasps on the miljweed flowers. The curassavica and verticillata are forming seedpods, and my incarnata pulchra has a bunch of pods forming. I haven't taken many pictures

A Solidago. Maybe flexicaulis?

Natives vs cultivars?

https://www.facebook.com/723548073/posts/10158087364498074/

A new species of Heteranthera in Pennsylvania and New Jersey.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1231976753631930/permalink/1593991060763829/

Save    

Skip-I have Horse Gentian seed I can send you, as it showed up in my yard a few years ago.

Jay-ok on the Asclepias fascicularis, definitely not worth wasting my time on it. How can it be in the wild in your area?

I collected some nice Milkweed seeds this past week from the RR track, namely tuberosa, ovalifolia, and also exaltata at a friends yard. I'm hoping to get some Mirabilis seed from the same area later.

I collected a nice crop of Aerisaema seed this past week and have it in the fridge now. Last year's seeds germinated very well for me this past Spring. And I think I will collect some Winter Berry seed and cold striate it now too. They germinated really well for me a few years ago, enough so that I was able to plant seedlings down by the river. And I'm fairly over run with Elderberry seedlings from last year but will try to get most of them out into the wild after leaf fall, in about 6 weeks or so.

Iris-I really enjoy your bug pics. I don't see anything like that up here. Except for Dogwood Saw Fly larvae, which I eradicated with a dose of Permethrin. And I haven't seen any Blueberry Stem Gall Wasps lately either so am happy they're gone now too. The Bumble Bees are still working the flowers tho and Gold Finches have moved in recently looking for seeds.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Dandy, I didn't collect my fascicularis seeds from the wild. I got them in trades with people from my milkweed groups on facebook. Nobody here at gardenweb would help me out with getting the species that I wanted. I just got amplexicaulis seeds after searching for 3 years, and the meadii is now almost a reality. I'm growing a few other milkweeds that also aren't native to Illinois. I'm curious to see which species will overwinter. Could those weeds in your trays possibly be Dogwoods or Viburnum? I can't really see the veins in the leaves in the pictures. I worry about trading now, with what's going on with the USPS. We don't have any beautiful natives growing along our train tracks. I suspect they used herbicide.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Illinois Native Plant Society chapters.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Great pictures, Jay! Wow, you all have big plans moving/ removing plants and already thinking of starting new seeds. 97 degrees today. Still no rain in sight. Hope it’s not going to be like last year’s September/ October drought. Going to spend tomorrow watering all my little trees. I should think about moving and removing stuff. Might need a bulldozer. Things are a bit crazy in some parts.

And a couple of other pictures from the yard today. Can’t say I have seen this color chrysalis before. Right on the seedpot from the sicklepot.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I like your Funastrum vine Iris. What kind of milkweed is that in the second picture from last. It looks like rubra to me. Is that Barbara's Buttons ?

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Jay, it’s the snow square stem. Second to last picture is sedum. I think “Autumn Joy” A pretty place to make a chrysalis.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Oops. Well sedum flowers do sort of resemble Asclepias rubra flowers, wishful thinking. I think I can grow the Melanthera nivea here. Did you plant yours?

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Dandy, I ended up ordering the mix with horse gentian seeds in it.

Nice pics Iris, I like the crazy parts.

I planted a bunch of stuff yesterday in the area I covered with cardboard and woodchips this spring. The ground was still hard and difficult to dig. A handful of Aralia racemosa, a handful of poke milkweeds, around 5 Collinsonia canadensis, and around 30 Chasmanthium latifolium plugs. Some of the seedlings were pretty weak. The Chasmanthiums were not in my sand bed and had rooted down through the geotextile cloth and into the ground below, so I had to cut those roots off them. Still have a bunch of stuff to plant out.

I'm planning to seed this area between the logs and the trees in the middle (id like to get rid of those trees), its 34ft deep on the right side, 13 feet deep on the other and about 34ft wide, about 790sq ft, and I'll seed another 200sq ft to the left along the fence. I ordered extra Chasmanthium laxum and silky wild rye to seed into the other side of the fence with some fox sedge seed I collected and some Carex blanda from last year.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Wow, those are large areas Skip! Can't wait to see it, the way you dream it. I wish I could send you a bunch of my seedlings overnight. I'm out of room for any more new species. ( except a few 🤣). Now the plan is to nurture what I already have, and try to have all my natives arranged so they look completely natural, and are in the same conditions they have in nature. I've tried germinating Triosteum perfoliatum 2 years in a row, with no luck. Starting Sunday, it's supposed to rain for 6 days straight. We need it, but I wish we had gotten it about 6 weeks ago. It seems like many plants are shutting down early due to the drought. I heard it's best to grow grasses in the tall tree pots, because their roots go so deep. My grass seedlings in the shallow trays are starting to yellow and look ragged. Well, no more doing hundreds of species. Too time consuming and some species get lost in shuffle of trying to care for them all. And the weather has been difficult the past 2 years and then the tornados and hurricanes. Hope you will be getting rain too Iris.

1 year ago. There were many Monarch cats. This year, just a handful. There were 2 Eastern Black Swallowtail cats that dissapeared also. Not a good year for butterflies. The sulphurs are so rare, that none of my legumes were eaten. There were some Skipper cats on the Apios.

These native lilies can take years to bloom. I planted 1 L. michiganense and 1 L. philidelphicum this spring. Some L. superbum from last year came up, but were small. This species here is very tempting, if you could even find it.

Save    

Ok Jay, thanks. I suspect the invading seeds must have gotten thru the mesh fabric cover I used, so they must be small. Can you post your thoughts about it on NTP just to get some other opinions going? No one has made a guess yet. Everyone's afraid to be wrong maybe.

Ok on the Milkweed. I don;t want to mess around with species way out of their zone. Too disappointing when they flop years later. Did that once.

I think of you walk a RR track you could find all kinds of good plants. Isn't that where the Henry Eilers was found?

That last Lily looks really yummy.

Monarch migration in full progress now. Yesterday they were all over the Coreopsys triperis.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Dandy, I think maybe no one is commenting because your pictures aren't very clear. Are you able to get crisper photos with your phone/camera. Like clear enough to see the fine hairs on stems. Your invaders look familiar, but slightly out of focus. The camera on my phone is supposed to be pretty good, but I sometimes have to get a few shots of something to get a clear shot. When I submitted a plant that I found in a bulldozed area, I put the phone camera on the food setting to get a good shot of the tiny flowers. I'll put a comment on for you.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

I need to upgrade to a phone with a food setting. I cant figure out how to get back to pro mode on my phone. My phone is getting old now anyway.

Anyway I was doing more site prep for aerating and reseeding. I knew I had an old concrete slab in my yard, with some of it partially exposed at the surface. I wanted to remove it to seed there. Turns out it was a 12x16ft concrete slab and most of it was buried under 2" of sod! Gifts from the past. I got it all dug out using a pick mattock to get under the pieces and pry them up, thankfully it was only 2" thick with no footing or gravel base.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

You're making a lot of progress Skip Good job! I wonder what year that concrete slab got put there. Good thing you didn't plant over it.

Cunila origanoides

Vernonia fasciculata

Verbesina virginica

Palafoxia callosa

Symphyotrichum laeve

Carex ? Skip?

I counted about 15 pods forming on the Asclepias pulchra. Hopefully I'll have anough seeds to share and use in trades. Not many are growing it.

Weakley's Flora 2020 is coming out this month for download. I want a hard copy.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/1231976753631930?view=permalink&id=1594303280732607

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Wow, Skip. That looks like a lot of extra work. Really can’t wait for progress pictures. Jay, your plants are looking great! How is the quadrifolia doing? I don’t know if I can really call this a bad butterfly year. A really late one for sure. The Giant Swallowtail is still missing, but the others are trying to catch up. All kinds of chrysalises on my house wall.

I am seeing a lot of dragonflies this year. Many different kinds I still have to figure out. This one kept me company watering. Think I lost the Blackgum it’s sitting on. No rain in my 10 day forecast.

still don’t know what kind of goldenrod this is.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Are there 2 different plants in the picture. Another plant with red stems and large, long leaves that's mixed in with the Goldenrod?

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

That’s the swamp sunflowers.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Oh, ok. Maybe a single plant or stalk would make it easier to ID.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

I had a weed growing next to the late boneset (also a weed), I thought it was a joe pye volunteer but turned out to be...

first wingstem bloom in the yard. Must have been one of the straggling seedlings I stuck in the ground last fall.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I thought you already had some established wingstem. These tall Verbesina flop over easily. We got some rain, and there's more coming.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

The other wingstem is in solid clay and has been languishing, its still about 6" tall and never flowered. Theres some lawn grass crowding it too.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Glad you did get some rain, Jay. I spent my day watering again. With this picture, the Seek app tells me it is field goldenrod. Would that be right? It’s a great app, but it told me before that a deer was an Antilope :)

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I can't say for sure, which Goldenrod it is. There are so many of them.

https://www.facebook.com/1114901586/posts/10224363380848184/

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

We got a lot of rain and more is coming.

It was dark and overcast all day.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Well. I am still waiting.....Saw the Denver forecast. Now that is crazy! 90 degrees one day and snow the next?

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

It's cool here. 60s and 70s, but 30 degrees warmer just south of me.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Skip, do you have to protect bog containers in the winter?

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/special/containers/potted-bog-gardens.htm

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Apparently I have to protect the bog planter yead round, it was all dug up again today. I'm for real going to lose it on these critters. I saw a chipmunk scamper away from the area today. Seriously though, it depends on the plants, if your plants are hardy a couple zones colder theyll be fine. If you can put the planter directly on the ground in a protected spot thats best, otherwise you have to put it in a shed, unheated garage or similar.

I got my prairie moon seed mix today, waiting in the fridge until sowing day.

My back neighbor cut down all his trees that were between our properties. Hes north of me so it doesnt really affect my sunlight but now I have a fantastic view of his swimming pool and trampoline. I think I'll go over for a dip before I figure out what to plant. Its still shaded by my silver maple so its probably going to take a lifetime to regrow a solid wall of green again, especially with all the deer passing through back there. I just cut down a massive burning bush back there a few days ago too, extra sparse now.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Skip, just plant some white mullberries , European Buckthorn, and Asian elm, and you'll have a green wall before you know it LOL. It worked for me. I didn't plant them, the birds did. 🤣😂

I seriously need to girdle them this week. This dark invasive shadow over my yard is NOT cool. Just waiting til it's dry enough to have live wires out.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Scenes from 1 year ago.

Bear Island Prairie

Mimulus ringens

Helenium autumnale, Sneezeweed.

A Monarch on Eupatorium

Oligoneuron rigidum and Solidago

Symphyotrichum ericoides

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Nice pics. That aster ericoides was able to survive amongst tall grass or is it hanging on at the edge?

I think a bunch of the trees he cut down were weedy types like black locust, osage orange, black cherry, Norway maple and white mulberry, so I'm not too broken up about it. He had a professional tree service with 2 trucks, a tracked skid steer, and a big stump grinder. A Chamaecyparis thyoides would be kinda nice but the deer would probably be trying to eat the whole thing while I was planting it.

Save    

Skip-your neighbor didn't do you any favors and I bet he regrets it now because his view now consists of looking straight at the back of your house. Paint it an ugly chartreuse color just for good measure. Or find an old yellow bus and park it in your back yard.

You need some immediate plantings back there. I've found Elderberry to fill in very fast, like in five years time. Until taller species get going. I've gotten two feet per year from Balsam Fir and Ohio Buckeye, providing they get watered. Any of the Prunus types will take off too. like Black Cherry, Pin Cherry, Choke Cherry. Maybe some Salix or Populous too. Dig up some Sumac out in the country, I've found they transplant easily and colonize like crazy.

And if you're feeling especially mean spirited, put some American Plum right up against the border. He will be forever wondering why all those messy trees keep popping up in his yard, right next to the pool!

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Aralia spinosa would sucker and help form a screen. The leaves and flowers are cool too. Deer love it tho. At least you're separated from your neighbors by a good distance.

Thermopsis caroliniana

Verbesina virginica, popular with the pollinators.

2 flies, a beetle and a bumblebee. I wonder if I'll get to see the ice form on the lower stems this winter?

Cunila origanoides. I like the deep red stems, which don't show up well in this picture.

Asclepias subverticillata. I hope the weather holds out, so all the milkweed seedpods will fully mature. Especially the texena and the pulchra. This milkweed does best in the desert southwest, so it went nuts, and bloomed like crazy the 1st year from seed, thanks to the hot, dry summer here, this year.

Lespedeza violacea. It stays in a neet shape, unlike Desmodium.

Chelone obliqua. A critter broke off one main branch, but it still manages to bloom. This chelone is supposed to be a more agressive species, which is what I wanted, because they haven't done well for me so far. The glabra anyways. My lyonii seeds didn't germinate.

Prunella vulgaris. This plant is supposed to be good for the health. I might collect and dry some of their leaves for tea.

Senna obtusifolia and Asclepias curassavica. I think wasps are pollinating most of the milkweeds. I don't see any Honeyvine pods forming, but there were wasps on the flowers.

I finally have Ironweed.

It looks like most of the rain is now heading more north to Minnesota and Wisconsin.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Skip, hope you come up with something fast growing to block the view of the neighbor’s pool. Unless it looks like something from this tv show. Pool masters maybe?

Jay, great pictures. My turtle head has been blooming for the past two weeks, iron weeds are also blooming. Frostweed is still not anywhere near. Weird how the bloom times for some plants are so similar to yours and others so different. Hornet raided a wasp net today. Was the one I got the bad sting from. So not sad about that. Just 3 or so wasps have returned so far. Not looking too closely, they are probably ticked off.

Some other pictures from today. Schweinitzii is starting to bloom. Not showy, but glad they are doing well (still caged)

and yes, morning glories of all kinds still everywhere. Even on the mountain mint.

Edited to add the milkweed vine. Starting to put on a show.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

That's a nice milkweed vine. It has more showy flowers than the Honey-vine. Aren't most of those pool makeovers done in like a tropical Caribbean style? I sure wouldn't want to have to look at that. Cruise ship mindset.

Bear Island prairie restoration

Unknown grass.

I found a good link to help me with my grass IDs.

https://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/grasses/grass_index.htm

Helenium autumnale

Oenothera biennis

Solidago

aster

Liatris aspera?

Scrophularia

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Can you believe there's still a Lobelia species out there that is known to science, but still doesn't have a name?

https://www.facebook.com/1114901586/posts/10224399386708308/

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Awesome pics guys. My yard looks like a mess but there are some random things blooming. The volunteer late boneset is doing really well and the little butterflies, skippers and various bees are all over it. Liatris scariosa is a fav

A lot of aster buds are still developing looks like they will blooming into october.

The dark soil is where I dug out the concrete slab, and then got a topsoil delivery to fill it in, need to level it a little more. The green grass in the background is mostly stilt grass and violets. I'll mow that on the lowest setting before running it over with the slice seeder to get more perennial grass in there. Next year is going to rock when all the perennials that are invisible right now reach full size.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Did you buy a Liatris scariosa plant? I just have seedlings of it.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

I bought one last year from the preserve in PA, I have a bunch of var. nieuwlandii seedlings too.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

It's a nice full looking plant. It just rained some more. One extreme to the other. You should have more of a real prairie next year.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Boltonia decurrens

Its been laying over since the tropical storm, and probably doesnt get as much sun as it wants, and the soil is nice.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Jay, we have a few meadowlarks at the end of our property. They sound so nice! Skip, this is looking beautiful. Flopped over or not. Must be popular with the little bees.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Are those 1st year Boltonia Skip? One of my seedlings has a flower bud forming. I took a ride to the sand prairie today. I need to back again for a whole day.

Polygala sanguinea is still blooming, but hidden under taller plants.

A Gentian, not sure which species.

Sium sauve. I tried winter sowing it twice with no luck. Maybe I'll come back and collect some fresh seed. It was very muddy there, and probably flooded frequently. I wonder if I can pull off growing it with extra watering?

Agalinis.

Cirsium discolor

Swamp Sunflower, Helianthus angustifolius

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Yeah those are first year plants. There is some first year Doellingeria in there that hasnt grown much at all. I might sow more of those. That looks like a nice trip, I would be looking around all day at a place like that.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I think I had 2 Doellingeria plants, that I planted. Mine are a lot smaller than my Boltonia too. There are at least 4 other prairies on the road where the dunes are. I haven't seen them all yet.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Wow, can’t believe the swamp sunflowers are already blooming up there! I finally did get some rain this morning. Variegated Fritilary emerged in this weather. White siding and this messy business do not go well together :)

and the chrysalis before it did.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I'm glad you got some rain Iris. I never saw even 1 butterfly crysalis all year.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

That’s really sad with all the plants you have for them. Other than Monarch and Gulf Fritilary, I am not seeing that many. But I have been seeing a lot of fully grown cats. So who knows where they wander of to.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

The sun was out today, after 5 days of darkness. I've been hearing a lot about this Kankakee Sands. There's another 'Kankakee Sands' in Braidwood. It's over an hour drive into Indiana, but I want to see it soon.

https://www.nature.org/en-us/get-involved/how-to-help/places-we-protect/kankakee-sands/

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Really nice! Went out with my daughter earlier. Just a quick look around the yard. These are her pictures, I just held the light and slapped at mosquitos. It’s almost slug caterpillar time here. Fun to see what is glowing in the dark.

No way I would see them during the day just walking around.

1 Like Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

That's amazing Iris.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Kind of fun. Might go out again tonight to see if I can figure out what’s eating the hibiscus. Usually it’s sawfly larvae, but it looks more like caterpillar damage. This is really some hurricane season. They might run out of names. Forecast is for 5 to 7 inches from Sally here. You can tell fall is on the way, I am constantly running head first into spiderwebs. And Tussock moth caterpillars of all kinds on the trees. Never seen this green one before. Need to google.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I finally attacked the weed trees in the easement behind my backyard fence. I cut off all the small and medium branches, and girdled the rest. Still a lot of branch cutting to do, and I want to come back with a chainsaw and cut what's left down to ground level. This will give me a lot more planting space. My neighbors just let the weeds take over behind their fence. I was thinking of planting a bunch of pollinator and host plants in both easements.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Good stuff Jay. I did a little more site prep for seeding today, just mowing down dead grass and annual grasses. Feels good replacing weeds. Took a walk earlier too

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Great job, Jay! What kind of butterfly is this, Skip? So cute!

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I didn't think butterflies could get any nectar from those tight flowers.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

I was hoping you could tell me, Iris, so I put it on iNaturalist and it is suggesting small copper or bronze copper butterfly.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Whipping out my book, the small copper matches perfectly. Really beautiful. Not that I would find it down here.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I was pulling out m

Morning Glories and liked the way this small, white flowered plant looked with the blue Dayflower. I just found out it's native here. Iplmoea lacunosa.

My Wild 4 o-clocks aren't very showy. Nothing seems to be eating them. I read they were originally brought to my area from further west, so I don't think I'll grow them next year.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

What a coincidence. I was ripping/ snipping on a white morning glory that looked like that today. It was covering all kinds of plants. Slow going, had to look for, and relocate, all kinds of critters. A bunch of sawfly larvae, this fuzzy one

and even a little Monarch cat. Not sure what he was doing on morning glory. Guess just thinking about life.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

I cant be helped, I ordered a couple of Gentiana saponaria from Woodthrush, hopefully they show up flowering or post-flowering loaded with seeds. https://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/prairie/plantx/soap_gentianx.htm Although its rare in NJ, this one has a more southern and eastern distribution.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Ha ha, Skip. Can’t blame you. I was browsing, too. Didn’t order anything yet though. The latest victim of my husband’s mowing was the little steeplebush I just planted this Spring. He said he hit the brakes, but the mowing blades just kind of slipped right over it.....Between the mowing and the weed whacking, he owes me some plants. It was cooler today and rain from Sally on the way, so it feels like plant ordering time.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Somebody on a Facebook group showed Polygonella americana. How pretty. But looks like another impossible thing to find.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

That is a cool looking one. I have been hearing some good things lately on podcasts, regarding Botanical gardens, conservation organizations, and government agencies finally trying to coordinate with horticulture nurseries and educate the public on a larger level. Basically the Bureau of Land Management has seed banks, the botanical gardens have seed banks, and they're trying to get the genetics to the retail and wholesale growers, and educate consumers, landscapers and retailers about why they should grow native plants. Some of the big growers only see the economics of it and only want to grow stuff that is easy and fast to propagate under one set of conditions, but hopefully some of the nurseries take up the cause. I also noticed Doug Tallamy spoke at a large nursery conference in NJ recently, which is huge because it takes his message beyond preaching to the choir.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Missouri Wildflowers has Polygonella americana plants.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I will need to check!

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Well, I did get to the website, but now it is stuck. Going to try again tomorrow. It’ already started to rain a bit from Sally, going to last until Friday. My area should get around 5 inches. After that a cold front moving through. Still egg laying going on with the butterflies. I was hoping the 3 Monarchs in chrysalises on my house wall would emerge today to get out of here before this weather. No such luck. But some nice, fresh looking ones around.

and really fuzzy ones.

Edited to say that it finally worked, more plants ordered :)

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

The weather is cold now. Getting into the low 40s. I hope all my milkweed seedpods can ripen in time. I saw a couple little butterflies today. A blue and a Crescent, I think.

I pulled this Datura out, and it grew back, so I left it. There's also a vollunteer dill and the Asclepias fascicularis.

This is the 1st time I've had Sicklepod that bloomed. Yesterday it really dawned in me why it's called Sicklepod. Now I want to buy a real sickle of the same shape, and go hack nixious invasives So fitting for these times.

Lobelia siphilitica

Asclepias texana. There are a couple small seedpods forming. I hope they will ripen. I didn't think I'd find seeds for this, but a door opened.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Tell me about cold weather. Did get a bit more than 3 inches yesterday, the low here for Monday will be 44. That’s just wrong. Seems like things are just getting started. I was very exited to finally see a saddlebag caterpillar today. Wanted to see one in person for years.

Annual termite inspection today. As much as I love all things crawling, I do need the house to keep standing :) They always seem surprised I don’t let them spray all around the house and knock down all wasp nests. Since it would be free with the inspection.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

We won't be getting rain for another week, so back to daily watering. I hear that in the south the insurance makes everyone get termite prevention. The Asian Elm is still alive and well after girdling, so I'm going to use the chain saw on it next. It's tall, so I'll wait until I clean up and remove the mulberry and buckthorn branches, before I chop it down. I'd love to cut a few of the neighbors trees that block the sun.

Save    

You have such amazing bugs Iris. There's nothing like that saddlebag of your up here.

Some pics.

Monarch in migration on the L ligulistylis

Correopsis tripterris

Viburnum triloba. Started from seed six years ago.

Birch sapling, maybe River Birch but am not so sure yet as it's not native here.

Sorbus, Mountain Ash. Decorative but not an ash

Prenanthes

R fulgida

Aralia racemosa berries

Echinacea "Cheyenne Spirit" Long blooming. Will collect seeds

Cardinal Flower

Save    

Rudbeckia triloba. Reseeds everywhere but easy to manage

Rudbeckia subtomatosa, has a subtle aroma

Mianthemum racemosa berries

Horse Gentian, berries not fully developed yet

Baptesia alba pods

Echinacea

1 Like Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Nice pics Dandy. Maybe save some Triosteum and Astragalus seeds.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Nice plants, that Prenanthes is interesting.

Lespedeza violacea

Do you like how dead the lawn is? Im going to plant a bunch of left over little bluestem and purple love grass plugs along the bed edge then sprinkle Monarda punctata seeds. I have some Anaphlis margaritacea plugs that could go in there too.

Helianthus maximiliani

Here is my the coneflower cultivar 'Prairie Splendor Rose Compact' by Syngenta, the multinational big AG biotech company. I told my daughter she could pick them but the stems are actually really stout. That pic is from last week I think, and here's today, still blooming pretty well:

I'll plant more and make this look nicer at some point.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Nice job Skip, especially with the grass. Everything is looking good. My purple top grass has just started blooming. I had forgotten where I planted it. LOL How did your Pipevines do this year? Have they climbed the fence? If you need any bulk amounts of native seeds, let me know.

Save    

Jay-I don't know that I have Astragalus. I used to at my former place but was not really impressed by it, so it's not on my want list My Horse Gentian seed planted outside last fall didn't germinate. Hopefully next year.

Skip-the Anaphalis will do really well in your short grass, dry setting and spreads easily by runners. I transplanted some about 6 weeks ago and they took hold easily.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I meant to say Baptisia, not Astragalus. I did plant some Anaphalis and Pseudognaphalium seedlings. Some of them have separate male and female plants, so I should have both. Dandy, do deer eat any of your native plants?

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Wow, you all have some great looking plants. And they all seem to behave so orderly. I have a jungle out there. I especially like the Prenanthes. Have to look into that. It just got up to 68 degrees today. Poor Monarch didn’t eclose until about 10:15 and didn’t fly until 3:15. Beautiful girl though.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Hey Iris, how did your Cowpen Daisies do with the pollinators? I think there are more Verbesina native to South Carolina like V. walteri.

Save    

Yes-of course the deer come around here. This is deer hunters paradise in November. Skip-that barren like area will be a jungle in a few more years. If you provide the nurture, the plants will do the rest.

I'll save those seeds for you Jay, and will have to collect the Prenanthes late in Nov or Dec.

Funny. Only a few months ago I made the statement on the forum "who would want an ugly looking thing like Prenanthes" LOL. It actually does look kinda nice this year, all blooms and no foliage. But the colors are blah, sort of pink and grey, something you'd wear at a funeral.

I had some Pseudognaphalium growing wild here two years ago, and was so not impressed. I saved seed and they germinated great, but did not survive the transplant for some reason. They are only annuals so maybe the best thing is to just scatter the seeds.

Iris-love your cite little newborn. You must keep a log of every bug on your property. If I had any hatchlings this year, I wan't aware of it.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

It looks like a healthy monarch. Summer left here abruptly, from days near 90 to highs in the 60s, and I think it got into the 40s last night. Some warmth will return midweek.

My pipevine didnt grow much at all but I also didn't give it any attention. I mulched them and then ignored them. Hopefully they grew a lot of roots.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Dandy, what species of Nabalus/Prenanthes are you referring to? There are 4 species native there. I like the racemosa a lot. The Pseudognaphalium is a biennial. Mine are just rosettes this year, and next year they should bloom. Guess I should start a few more. I know they aren't showy, but they are for the wildlife. I also have Anaphalis margaritacea and seeds for the weedy purple cudweed, Gamochaeta purpurea.

Save    
Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Locust borer on Cornus florida

this thing on canada goldenrod

Aster cordifolius or divaricatus I dont remember which, self seeded

Lonicera sempervirens berries

Penstemon digitalis growing in a crack in my front step

Baptisia australis in a different crack

This is why I planted these, so that the weeds are not just stuff like asian bittersweet and mugwort

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Dandy, the only thing I write down is usually the date I see the first Monarch eggs. I should keep a log, so I don’t have to constantly search through my pictures to figure out what is supposed to be here when.

Skip, never have seen a Locust borer. Probably really bad news, but looking really cool. I must have pulled miles of Canada goldenrod roots over the winter, don’t think it made a dent in it. Thought your wasp was some sort of a potter wasp. Seek app says it’s Isodontia mexicana. It’s still colder than it’s supposed to be. And windy. How can you tell when the seeds on the mint are ready?

Easier to tell with chestnuts

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I have an aster similar to yours. Skip, and it seeds everywhere. I end up pulling a lot of them. The Elephantopus will probably be growing in cracks soon too. It would be nice to have a mature chestnut tree some day. I love their leaves. And then that moth that eats them. I like this goldenrod , Solidago sphacelata, Golden Fleece.

Datura metel. I pulled it out, and it grew back.

Helianthus anuum, wild form. I thought these were another perennial Helianthus species. I need to replace these with real Florida perennials.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

That datura looks so healthy too lol.

Iris, I just stick the flower head into a paper bag and shake it, or sometime I'll cut the whole head off. The seed fall out readily when they're ready. That one looks like it might be ready. The locust borers aren't a concern to me. Id rather grow different trees anyway so if that one wants to help me get rid of them it is welcome.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I will check on these seeds before the next rain since they will be coming your way :)

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Wow, it’s so quiet here! I hear crickets. Well, literally one that must have gotten into the house :) . Cool and drizzly here. Heavier rain to come. Moved a Monarch to a more sheltered location after he was still here at 6:30. Looked perfect, but I guess too cold.

Meanwhile everything does look like a jungle, but the Frostweed is finally ready to start blooming soon.

Have this one around my brush pile. Seek says sweet everlasting.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I have those Sweet Everlastings, but they are small. I'd like to find seeds for this grass. It's native in our zones. There's a southern species that's even crazier looking.

Aristida tuberculosa, MN., NJ, SC., IL.

The southern species.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Prairies

Symphyotrichum ericoides

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)
Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Sweet everlasting smells really nice in big groups and deer dont eat them. The jungle looks good!

Jay which prairie is that? Looks nice

Not doing much botanizing lately. I finally got the grass seed planted 2 days ago, now I have to set up some sprinklers because its been the dryest month of the year. I raked out the planting area for the seed mix, now I need to wait a few weeks for the weed seeds to sprouts so I can kill them and get rid of some of that soil seed bank, then my mix can go in. I should get to do some planting of plugs this weekend.

I read a couple E.O. Wilson books (or rather, listened on audiobook), since Doug Tallamy mentions him frequently. On Human Nature, and Half Earth. Both seemed pretty good but apparently his writing about evolution is pretty contentious, even among evolutionary scientists, so that brought me down the rabbit hole of that debate, where I've been the last few days.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Wow, that's some deep stuff. The 1st 7 photos are Lockport Prairie and the last 3 are Bear Island Prairie. You should have some nice plantings after sterilizing the soil.

Save    

Jay-some New England aster there it seems.

I collected seed from the White Baptesia today. things are winding down here. Saw one Monarch today, maybe the last of the season. Sure hope it can get to Mexico in time. I moved some Goat's Beard out to the roadside garden today. I had to saw down two Balsam Fir that were close to ten feet tall now, but need the garden space. Got rid of some Chokeberry that was languishing in there also. Will get some Thermopsis in there next.

Leaf color past the 50% mark already. My Blueberry cultivars are a brilliant red now, as are some of the Viburnum triloba I started from seed. And I found some surprise Rudbeckia subtomentosa have started to colonize a new area that I cleared the Ironwood trees off a year ago. So I plan to collect a lot more wildflower seed to scatter in there this fall. I think I have Grouse starting to inhabit my gardens now as there are lots of berries for them everywhere. Those that the Catbirds didn't get earlier on anyway.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

I did some seed collecting at my place today too. Time to start putting mountain mints in the neighbors weed hedge. I also planted a Thermopsis I had winter sown. I was going to plant more but the soil is so dry and droughty I thought it would be easier after it rains later this week. Some trees and leaves are turning. Id love to see grouse or quail around here but theres not enough continuous open space

NY Aster

Stiff leaved aster

Volunteer asters

Fields of goldenrod at the park

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I have to read up on the posts, but have to say real quick that the field of goldenrod is just stunning.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Here are a couple more

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

The garden.

Palafoxia callosa, native up to Missouri.

Boltonia decurrens. I like the larger flowers

Symphyotrichum laeve and a wood aster.

Salvia azurea. The camera doesn't do justice to the blue color.

Angelica keiskei. I thought it was a biennial, but it's perennial. Ashitaba- 'Tomorrow's Leaf '.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Beautiful pictures! Driving to the store, the goldenrod is just left in the ditches. Most fields are mowed now. Jay, did the hornworms not eat your datura? The weather continues to be unusual. Should get rain and another cold front. Poor butterflies are cold in the mornings.

Saw a cute, new to me moth on the heath aster today. Looked it up, and the host plants are things like smooth aster. Another case of plant it and they will come.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

It rained last night, and today. It was in the low sixties. I had pulled all the Datura out, and it grew back. I decided to leave it for any hornworms, but none showed up. Do they really need to mow all the fields? They would have a huge impact if they were allowed to grow.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I don’t see a real reason to mow them. These are the fields that are left between the new subdivisions popping up. The cattle that was on there is long gone and they are not using it for hay. Maybe they want to keep it somewhat manageable to sell it for even more houses. Who knows? Things are not planned well in that directions. Glad I am in my little corner where lots can not be divided to be under 5 acres. But getting from the secondary road I go on first to the main road takes at times forever. So far we still have a stop sign. Could use a traffic light by now.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Floyd Griffith

Liatris tenuifolia. Mississippi, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Beautiful picture and a really cool looking plant. Need to look it up. One of my Schweinitzii is doing really well. The other two have been eaten more.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

That's a nice sunflower. Do you grow Bluecurls. There are a couple that are native here. I only recently discovered them.

Trichostema setaceum, Narrowleaf Bluecurls

Trichostema dichotomum, Forked bluecurls

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Nice pics last couple days. Thats a strong sunflower. I recently saw a post about bluecurls, theyre an annual right? Seem to occur along waterways around here.

NY Asters are getting better

The little neglected New England aster seedling gathered enough energy to flower too.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Never heard of Bluecurls, but that’s why I am here :) Always learning something new. Skip, Aster time is here, too. Some, like the Georgia Aster are just having some buds. Climbing Aster is going to take more time. Temperature today was 20 degrees lower than yesterday, had a little bit of rain. Nice sky looking over the backyard tonight though.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I went to the island prairie to collect some Erechites hieracifolius seeds another person who likes growing 'weeds'. They are in England so I guess burnweed is rare and special over there. I got some nice aster shots. Your asters look beautiful Skip. Nice sunset Iris.

Erechtites hieraciifolia. Do you know if the flower buds ever open, or just open to release seeds? I like this plant about as much as Lactuca.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Really nice pictures. I love the colors. Is it cold yet? Should get down to 44 as a low Saturday. Way below normal. It was really nice today. No rain expected for at least 10 days.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

It's supposed to get down in the lower 30s here. It rained today.

Lespedeza violacea. It doesn't photograph well. It's a nice little shrub.

Aronia melanocarpa

Zinnia for the butterflies and hummingbirds. I grew Salvia hispanica, and they still haven't bloomed, and probably won't have time to bloom. What a waste of time and space.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Great pics thanks for sharing. Not too cold here yet but I see the middle of the country and southeast are getting a cold snap. Got my gentians in the mail today and planted them; no flowers yet, young plants.

Stiff aster blooming more

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

What kind of Gentians Skip? I had some germinate, but they have stayed microscopic.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Gentiana saponaria

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Sugar Creek Preserve

An oak at Sugar Creek Preserve. I stopped to collect acorns, but there were none.

Symphyotrichum novae-anglae

Hieracium?

Arnoglossum

Asters

Arnoglossum

Symphyotrichum ericoides

Symphyotrichum ericoides

The path

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

More of Sugar Creek Preserve and then, on to Braidwood Dunes and Savanna

Silphium terebinthinaceum

A dried up pond. The only spot where Amorpha fruticosa grows here.

Baptisia

Solidago

Braidwood Dunes and Savanna

Gestalt featuring Euthamia caroliniana

Opuntia humifusa

Pseudognaphalium obtusifolium

A moist area that floods often, and hosts rushes, buttonbush, and Sium sauve.

I'm going to start a new thread, for those people with annoying devices.😆

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Braidwood Dunes and Savanna

Ilex verticillata

Sium sauve

Cephalanthus occidentalis

Eriophorum species of mop head sage

Maybe Brickellia eupatorioides not yet in full bloom?

Eupatorium altissimum? This looks different from the Brickellia? plant. U don't think it's Eupatorium serotinum either, but they can be confusing.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

You have many kinds of people on facebook. There are the insect people, lizard people, birders, butterfly people, and of course the native plant people. This is my go to insect person.

https://www.facebook.com/100005152212996/posts/1651396215042103/

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

There are about 14 species of Ageratina in North America. Only one other species occurs in the Eastern US. Ageratina aromatica, Lesser Snakeroot.

Ageratina aromatica

Ageratina aromatica

Ageratina aromatica

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Cool never noticed that Ageratina. That Eupatorium looks like altissimum to me, the floral habit of serotina is a little more like a dome. Thanks for sharing

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Wow, I didn't know that about the flowers. I thought they all had almost identical flowers. I'm really sick of the regular white snakeroot. It's taking over my new shade bed. It's almost as if someone scattered a bunch of seeds, but I would never. I was pulling out all the first year plants that are already blooming, and there's another whole army of smaller ones coming up. I scattered figwort seeds in there too, and don't want to accidentally pull any of those out with them.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Nice pictures, Jay! I need to move plants around. Lots of bee balm and narrow leaf mountain mints popping up all over. And a bunch of these asters that showed up by themselves a few years ago.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Its a ghost town in here. The NOAA website says we are more than 75% below average for rain fall over the last 30 days. Of course right while Im trying to start grass from seed and sprout the weed seed bank.

Anyway, sort of cool discovery at home today. I saw a woody plant coming up by my baptisia so figured it was another squirrel-planted walnut tree but when I pulled it out I realized it is winged sumac Rhus copallinum. I replanted it in my backyard.

Save    
javiwa

OK, Skip, here you go: whether squirrel planted or otherwise, any idea what this is that popped up in my bed? I can't seem to get a definitive answer (though Iris and someone else said ash). Am ready to yank any minute unless I'm convinced otherwise. :)

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Ha ha, don’t hold me to it. I don’t know much about trees. Hope Skip knows. Nice find, Skip! Every time I see a little tree looking similar, it turns out to be tree of heaven. Hope you will get some rain, we are in for the remnants of Delta this weekend. Didn’t have rain for the past 10 or so days, but with it being cooler, the watering wasn’t bad. Things are growing wild here, didn’t even notice the Lily blooming until today.

on the other hand, my lady’s tresses is taking forever.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Yeah Javi, I could go with ash. Iris looking nice, didn't know you grew ladys tresses, mine are half heartedly blooming too.

1 Like Save    
javiwa

That's three for ash: out it goes. Really pretty specimen, but definitely no space in this bed for an ash tree. Thanks, all!

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

The colors are nice at this field behind a public county park golf course with the purple love grass, broomsedge, little bluestem and Anaphalis margaritacea. Too bad the bright green stuff is invasive Lespedeza cuneata and the dark green stuff is invasive Artemisia vulgaris.

A nice goldenrod

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Nice pictures! Looks like Fall! Any idea what kind of goldenrod this is? Got a good 2 inches of rain since yesterday. Fascinated by the fungi showing up. Tiny, but really interesting.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

The fungi grow fast. I think its Solidago puberula, Im gonna go back for seeds in a week or two.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

That's a nice goldenrod Skip. Can you collect a few seeds for me? I'm still trying to germinate flexicaulis. I found another nice species. Are you getting hammered by Delta?

Solidago sphacelata

Reminds me of Solidago rugosa 'Fireworks', but better.

Solidago sphacelata

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Sure thing. I can send you a flexicaulis plug or 3 too. I collected seeds off Hypericum hypercoides too. Did you see Solidago sphacelata in the wild or is that a garden picture? Not raining yet but 1.75" to 3" in the forecast.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

It's a Google picture. A friend on Facebook had a picture of his spacelata plant and was offering a free beer to whoever could ID it. Somebody did. I really like the Hypericum hypericoides too. I'm looking for Brickellia eupatorioides seeds. I've been confusing it with Eupatorium species.

McKinley Woods

I and M Canal

A nice goldenrod. Am going to collect seeds.

Smilax

Kankakee Sands Preserve. A bobcat was caught on night vision cameras here recently. I've never seen any.

A low spot that probably floods, but dry now.

Iris, what kind of yellow lilies are those?

1 more wreath-like goldenrod, Solidago caesia. Been trying to grow this too.

The golden aster Chrysopsis mariana isn't native to Illinois. I could grow Heterotheca villosa instead. Heterotheca, Chrysopsis, and Pityopsis, ect, are all similar plants and have shared the same genus names over time.

Heterotheca villosa. There are a couple other Heterotheca species native to Illinois, but villosa is my favorite.

Illinois has it's own version of globe mallows. It's also endangered.

Malvastrum hispidum, Rough False Mallow, Hispid False Mallow, Synonyms- Malvastrum angustum, (BONAP), Sidopsis hispida, Sida.

Malvastrum hispidum

This plant is endangered. It's watched over by Plants of Consern. I have a general idea where they might be, after looking at i.nat.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

These are great pictures, Jay! The yellow lily is the Texas Craig’s Lily. Walking the dogs, the empty lot behind mine has this purple grass. Not sure if it is good news, but it has the effect of a water color painting. Really nice. Sorry about the pictures, it was still foggy when I walked the dogs, and they wanted to keep going.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I googled Texas Craig's Lily and nothing came up. I wonder what species it is? I don't know what the purple grass is. Your lawn looks nice.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Sorry. Texas Craglily. Fingers crossed spellcheck doesn’t change it.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Ok thanks. The other one came up as a woman named Lily in Craigslist. LOL

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

My standard guess for purple grass is a Muhlenbergia species or Eragrostis spectabilis

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

You joined the right ID group Skip. It's where the geniuses hang out. I've been banned from it 3 times. Very strict rules they have.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

How did you get banned? I didn't even read the rules. The guy that responded to me works for LWeaner Landscape Associates, Larry Weaner wrote the book garden Revolution. His company manages like hundred acre meadows on public land and private estates.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

The rules are no commenting after the plant is ID'd. If someone gives a common name you can still give the scientific name. It was made to avoid a long string of mostly dumb repetitive comments. You give the ID, and it's the OP's responsibility to google it and learn more. Even if the plant is deadly poisonous, you aren't supposed to mention it. I think I forgot and commented a couple times and got banned, and another time I didn't see that another person ID'd a plant, so I was banned for IDing it twice. I went looking for Brickellia eupatorioides seeds, and I noticed some baby Cicuta bulbifera plants are still surviving in the cattails. The larger plants were crowded out and disappeared. Do you come across any Cirsium altissimum? It's rare around here, but discolor is common.

Cicuta bulbifera

You can comment after the ID, if it's your post.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Never noticed Circuta around here. Circium altissimum is listed as extirpated in NJ. I was getting my fingers stabbed up trying to check Circium discolor for seeds today.

I was talking to Ethan about seeding before. I told him it was so dry prior to 2 days ago that almost none of the weed seed bank germinated in my planting area. He said wait until spring to seed. Sow winter wheat or winter rye now if I want to prevent soil loss, kill off the weeds and cover crop in the spring, then sow the meadow seeds. So now I am considering starting a bunch of the species, especially the recalcitrant ones like phlox maculata and polygonatum biflorum in trays/containers, then transplanting to the seeded area later next year.

I have to screw around with some soil mixing again to see if I can come up with a usuable soil mix and clear out all this pine bark and stuff I have in my shed.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Wow, you crossed paths with that dude just in the nick of time.. That's sounds like an awesome idea of sowing a cover crop. I have a big unopened bag of pro mix. I think I got it at the hydroponics store, when I was getting a heating map. I have more than enough, because I'm not winter sowing anymore than 20 species.😬🤤😂😈

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Wow, that sounds like a really strict group. Jay, only 20? We will see about that. Another gloomy kind of day here. I think I will need the whole family digging this Winter to relocate the swamp sunflowers. Wish I would have known better at that time to believe the 3 to 5 feet plant tag. In the area right in front of the house they are getting taller every year it seems. The Monarchs coming through are enjoying their high perches, but I still need to find the house!

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

The swamp sunflowers up here have already gone to seed. I really want to keep the number of seeds sown around 20. When I try sowing 150 or more species I just shoot myself in the foot. Somebody in Louisiana has swanp sunflowers with red colors. I've never seen that before. It's been windy and chilly.

Helianthus angustifolia. Probably wouldn't be as big of a hit as the 'Burning Hearts' Heliopsis, because of their height and spread.

Thorns that maybe evolved to repel megafauna?

I don't know what this is. I was thinking a bittersweet, but what about the thorn? Sure acts like a vine.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Cool pics. I saw pics of swamp sunflower glowing bright yellow but mine is more orange. The flowers on it are also spent now. Looks like the vine is wrapped around that thorny stem, unless the vine is climbing itself. I can ID OBS pretty easy in person now but I can't get a sense of the leaf look and size from the picture.

I took this picture yesterday

I chose this scene because the tree in the middle is a red maple. You dont see red maple in dry fields or with grassland around them much because they're not fire tolerant. People say they suck up too much moisture with the aggressive roots, but here is proof it can work. This type of plant community is what Im going to have to work with in my yard with all the silver maples. Mowing and spot treatment can maintain the grassland look.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

When the tornado hit the trees most damaged were Silver Maples. I think locust came in 2nd. Oriental bittersweet doesn't have thorns right? The trees with massive thorns had leaves like hawthorn? Do hawthorn get those trunk thorns. At 1st I thought Zanthoxylum.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Im not too familiar with hawthorne and they are pretty hard to ID from what I understand. Could it be osage orange?

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I just looked at pics of Osage and they have wicked thorns too. The trees had a few leaves still attached near their tops, and the leaves were definitely hawthorn, and I think I would notice Osage oranges if they were on the ground, along that path. I thought about collecting seeds of Dichanthelium clandestine, but couldn't see any on the plants. Maybe they bloom and seed earlier?earlier?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/16/science/plants-extinction-north-america.html

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

The deer tongue blooms twice, the spring bloom has visible seeds that stick out from the sheath, the fall bloom is smaller and the seeds are held within the sheath. I tried to harvest seeds off mine this year in the spring but I was too early, then too late in the spring when I went back.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Yeah, but can't you harvest the second crop of seeds? That species is a host plant for a bunch of insects. I don't think I'm going to get all my seedlings in the ground by winter. Maybe if I cover them or something.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

I can look. For ease of collection I was trying to get the spring seeds. I have to go on a planting spree this weekend because I have way too many plants and seedlings hanging around too. Not sure what to do with some of the tiny ones that haven't done anything all year, plant the whole pot of seedlings I guess. Nice scenery

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I put this on the plant ID group. I was thinking it was all 1 vine, but Ethan said the wider stem with the thorn was Crataegus, and the other is Celastrus orbiculatus. It makes sense, and it was near the other hawthorns. I'm going to go back to verify it. I think the vine wrapped around the hawthorn seedling and held it tight against the tree, making me think it was vine too. You agree the vine is oriental bittersweet? I keep seeing it, tho supposedly it's rare in Illinois.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

It looks similar although OBS leaves are usually a little shiny. Bittersweet should have fruit on it this time of year. If you go back take more pics

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Get on the map! https://homegrownnationalpark.net/ this is Doug Tallamy's official site for creating an online map of native plant gardens and promoting their planting.

Heres some homegrown I planted today, I think Penstemon calycosus

I planted like 65 plants. The part shade garden should be kinda nice next year. Still have more to plant.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

That’s a healthy looking plant! 65? Wow. I did plant some around the pond where my husband ripped out a lot of stuff (including poison ivy), but it was very slow going with all the tree roots there.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Nice planting job Skip. The weather has been bad here the past 2 days. All of today has been rainy. I went back to the oriental bittersweet and there were no fruits, but it looked like a young vine. The stem with the thorn was a branch from the tree. That was the only OB that I've seen in the woods. I see them along the canal tho.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

I did a recount of what I planted yesterday and it was actually closer to 90. That "pro plugger" tool makes it a little easier though.

Thats a useful fern graphic thanks for sharing.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Ha! Rub it in! 90! Thankfully it didn’t get as cold as they said it would last night. Main colors in my yard now are purple, yellow and white. Georgia asters are doing really well.

Didn’t plan on this aster/ mist flower combination. But I really like it.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

A fb friend is the plant illustrator who drew the ferns. She's in the INPS, and she did the illustrations for my big Flora of the Chicago Area. 90 is a lot of plants. Can't wait to see the results next year. The flowers look nice, especially the Georgia asters. I wonder if they would overwinter up here?

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

That looks really nice Iris. I did all that planting and still might not have anything like that haha.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I still have Gaillardia aristata, and Penstemon smallii flowers, and they've been blooming since early spring. They sell week hybrids of aristata x pulchella, ect, and claim they are long blooming and superior, to regular old natives, and it's a big lie. My long blooming clumps prove it. Skip, Do you use your foot to stomp planting holes with that pro plugger?

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Jay, I push it in with my hands or the foot plate if the soil is too hard. It can handle me jumping onto the foot plate.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

There are no Thermopsis species native to Illinois. I just realized Thermopsis caroliniana and T. villosa are the same species. Villosa is native to New Jersey.

Thermopsis mollis, South Carolina

Thermopsis fraxifolia, South Carolina

Thermopsis villosa, New Jersey

http://bonap.net/Napa/TaxonMaps/Genus/County/Thermopsis

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

I planted 3 more of those Thermopsis villosa a month ago, in addition to the one I had. Thats one of those plants I have that isn't really fine tuned to the local ecology, but its a cool plant for the garden.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Skip, what kind of plant don’t you have? You will be ready to give tours in a year or so. I planted some Porteranthus stipulatus. According to the USDA map, it’s native all around. But not South Carolina.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

I gave a garden tour earlier this year, just a matter of time to get everything mature. Actually my spring ephemeral list is pretty weak... hmm🤔 I dont have whatever it is you just mentioned either.

I drove by a house yesterday that was 100% garden from house to sidewalk, loaded with blue or purple flowers, goldenrod and habitat signs. Think the blue/purple was either Verbena bonariensis or Lobelia syphilitica, have to stop by for a closer look later this week. Had the family in the car couldn't rubberneck too much.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I'm looking for seeds for Passiflora lutea. I think it's the hardiest species. I was thinking about the Thermopsis, because something is eating mine. There aren't many Sulphur butterflies around here anymore, and most of my legumes aren't nibbled on. I have a huge sicklepod that hasn't been touched. It has a bunch of seedpods. I wonder how many vollenteers will come back? I get self sown Senna hebbacarpa coming up. I think I convinced someone to leave their leaves be. I'm going to rake my leaves over the beds.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I hope to visit more of the south in the future. There seems to be a lot more diversity there. Alabama is close to the top of the list.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1231976753631930/permalink/1636257736537161/

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Carphephorus corymbosus is great pollinator plant. The flowers resemble Eupatorium and Ageratina. They are all in the large Asteraceae tribe Eupatorieae.

Carphephorus corymbosus

Carphephorus corymbosus

Carphephorus corymbosus

Carphephorus corymbosus

Carphephorus corymbosus

Carphephorus corymbosus

1 Like Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Symphyotrichum estesii. Named for Dwayne Estes.

https://www.facebook.com/1114901586/posts/10224734133876778/

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

It's supposed to rain here for the next 7 days, and it's already been raining for 3 days. At least it's not snow.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Smooth blue aster still blooming.

Purple top grass and my assortment of walkway weeds.

Thermopsis villosa. Some cat maybe was eating it.

Verbena bonariensis

I got excited and thought a new cool native with red foliage, and then figured out it's a weedy Bidens. I had an invasion a couple years back, and still get straglers.

stragglers aristata still blooming since April, without deadheading, why buy cheap, 'ever blooming' hybrid Gaillardias?

from above, Ansonia hubrichtii and Hypericum prolificum

Mexican hats and Yellow cornflowers.

Geum triflorum, Prairie Smoke, I managed to keep this one alive all year.

Cirsium flodmannii. There are a few more native thistles I'd love to collect, like Hill's, Pitcher's, maybe muticum. Hopefully none are bigger than the Cirsium discolor at 7'.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Scrophularia ? It just dawned on me that's what these are. I've been trying to grow them for years by scattering seeds. I finally have some through winter sowing.

A wooly caterpillar on the sicklepod.

Ascepias humistrata, back inside and under lights.

Angelica Keiser. I'd love to grow a native Angelica, but atropurpurea gets too big. There's 1 other native species in Illinois.

Redbud and Lamb's quarters.

Asclepias texana with seed pods. I hope the seeds are viable. A nice alternative to tropical and HB.

Taxodium distichum

Palafoxia callosa. Opuntia humifusa, Gaillardia aestivalis that never bloomed.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Nice pictures again, Jay! Trying to catch up on looking some of these plants up. That Florida paintbrush looks very interesting.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Yeah nice pics and plants still blooming. No frost there yet? It was 76 degrees today, still holding on to the warmth here. You decide what you're going to sow this winter? Im definitely multiplying some of the stuff I already have, limit myself to 20 new species.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I want to sow a few milkweeds inside earlier. Engelmannii, pulchra, texana, white flowered syriaca. I'll have to go through all my seeds and see what hasn't done well yet and try some again. I'm going to try starting Passiflora lutea. Maybe if enough people start planting them, Fritillaries will return to Illinois. An Aristida species would be nice. Did you ever figure out if you had the sensitive partridge pea? Brickellia eupatorioides, Sium sauve, Symphyotrichum georgiana, if I can get seeds. I wonder how hard Spigelia marilandica is starting from seed? Probably try a couple Solidago. I want to try buttonbush and Gentiana puberlenta and andrewsii again. Hopefully, I'll be around for awhile to eventually add everything I've ever wanted to grow lol. The weather ruined this years plans.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Aristida species of Illinois.

Aristida tuberculosa

Aristida purpurea

Aristida oligantha

Aristida desmantha

Aristida basiramea

Mostly grasshoppers and ducking insects feed on Aristida ssp. For the Skippers I want to grow the Deertongue grass, Dichanthelium clandestinum.

https://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/grasses/plants/deertg_grass.html

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Isn’t the lutea the “native yellow passion vine” the one I have and you didn’t like before? Jeez, if I could just find the pictures of it blooming in all my pictures. It was completely ignored by Gulf and variegated Fritilary this year. Still plenty of caterpillars on the other kinds. Weather certainly was weird this year. Glad we didn’t have a severe drought again. Looks like the hummingbirds are already gone. Not much of a migration for me. No more than three at a time compared to at least 20 a few years ago. The pine siskins on the other hand have arrived in full force. Doesn’t happen every year. Filled up the finch feeder (that’s where they hang out with the finches, sunflower seed chips in that one) 3 times again today.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Yes, I didn't like the P. lutea at 1st, but it's grown on me, and maypops won't flower here, so hopefully lutea will. I didn't see any Monarchs in the oaks this year, like they were last year.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Just planted 1 Helianthus divaricatus, 5 Lobelia siphilitica, 2 Mitella diphylla, 2 Asclepias variegata, and a redbud I started from seed. Transplanted the swamp sunflower so it doesn't shade out all the other plants around it. The milkweed tubers were nice and white, I planted them right next to my deck so I can see them close up every time I walk out the door. They might need more sun but there was a persicaria virginiana growing right next to the spot, so maybe not? Maybe I'll move them a little.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Sounds great. I think I have 1 Mitella diphylla plant. I hope some of my variegata bloom next year. I'm going to go collect Dichanthelium clandestinum seeds tomorrow. I dug up one stalk of That Helianthus divaricatus or hirsutus last year and it spread pretty fast. I seperated it into 5 plants this year. Next year probably a colony. Did you try growing any Lobelia cardinals?

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Yeah I have 1 tiny cardinalis planted and 4 or 5 more left. Still not done planting

Save    

Did someone say snow? I had two snow events go through this week already, and I am so not prepared for it. At least 8 inches total. I don't think this is going to melt, which means it could be a very long season looking at white.

My Asters hardly had time to set flowers before this happened.

New York Aster and Blueberry two weeks ago. Prenanthes foreground.

Turkeys grabbing seeds off the Viburnum trilobum. Evidently the seeds aren't that tasty because they didn't spend much time there. I've noticed that before, the seeds stay on the plant all winter and get eaten in Spring. Something about very cold temps needed to convert to sugars.

Picture taken through the screen door. These birds are very skittish. My Purple Dome hardly got to bloom.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Wow, snow already. That aster had such nice color too.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

We've had a lot of rain, but no snow. It's 46 now. It's snowed further up north in the state. It's nice having wild turkeys around.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Snow? Isn’t that early, even for you up there? It’s too bad you could not enjoy your asters for a while longer. So pretty! It was 80 here today. Leaves are starting to fall, but almost no pretty Fall colors so far. Well, the Virginia creeper is showing some color.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

The temp is going near freezing tonight, and possible snow over the weekend.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I was looking at elderberries. I heard it's better to have a couple different varieties for better fruit. The only 2 native varieties on bonap are Sambucus nigra, and Sambucus racemosa. I noticed there are a lot of named varieties, around 8 named 'cultivars', and apparently Sambucus nigra has 3 subspecies, and Sambucus racemosa has 5 subspecies, which makes 8 varieties. The links show the subspecies. How many varieties are you growing Dandy? It would be interesting to see how they all differ from each other.

https://plants.usda.gov/java/ClassificationServlet?source=profile&symbol=SANI4&display=31

https://www.itis.gov/servlet/SingleRpt/SingleRpt?search_topic=TSN&search_value=35326#null

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

It's 49 and cloudy. Starting Monday night temperatures in the 20's. I remember it being 90 on Halloween once years ago. I wish I had a little patch of land outside the yards where I could plant every seedling, and then they could put on good growth while I get beds for them made. This year was a disaster because of the weather. The tornado was the icing on the cake. Talk about a setback! I will continue to fight on and transform my yard into a nature sanctuary, no matter the obstacles and opposition. Hey Skip, have you ever thought about getting a drone to explore?😆 Might be useful for finding ultra rare plants.🤔 If I could ever get it to fly lol.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Hey Jay, no I haven't felt the need to bother with a drone yet. There are plenty of plants that aren't rare that I could still get to know without one. I did read and hear about the scientists finding rare plants in Hawaii with drones. Theyre trying to use drones to pollinate rare plants, collect seed, and plant seeds.

The weather has been remarkably nice, in the 60s or near 70 with a little rain or drizzle with periods of sun. I was out cleaning out the gutters then cleaning up all the leaves off my deck. When I raked out a leaf pile that had formed behind my garbage cans look what I found!!

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

A good reason to leave the leaves. I was noticing the robins like to overturn them when hunting. Did you get a Spiranthus orchid, and did it bloom? I have a lot of places I need to explore on foot too. I like being close to the plants. Some people on fb are big time environmentalists and they use the drones to monitor ecosystems. There's a lot to learn in order to get the big picture of what's really going on.

Save    

I have S. racemosa and W. canadensis that I'm growing here. The canadensis is more prevalent in the southern part of Mn, but there are some growing in the local arboretum. They both have good flowers and fruit so they make a great contribution to the environment. I think there was only one or two plants here when I moved in ten years ago. Now there's at least 25 with as many more small plants filling in. They grow so fast too which is great.

The snow this week is about a month early and I'm so not ready for this just yet. One hose was still on the spigot with frozen water still inside. The temps have not been above 34 degrees in over a week(for a high). Forecast for Tuesday am is 7 above zero(f). No No No. Some seeds still need to be collected but the flowers are frozen but not dried yet. I need to collect more Rudbeckia and get the seeds distributed in some new areas I'm developing. And my demonstration Wildflower garden along the roadside needs more plants too. I;m counting on my Actaea racemosa, aka Cimicifuga, to be a real show stopper in a few years.

Dewberry

Echinacea Magnus, "Smoky"

Cheyenne Spirit

Blue berry crop

L. cardinalis

Rudbeckia triloba

Rose hips

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Great pics Dandy, thanks! I'm not ready for single digit temps yet.

Symphyotrichum oblongifolium, Aromatic Aster. I know these asters spread everywhere but I still want to add to my Symphyotrichum leave with a few more species, ericoides, oblongifolium, novae angleae, lateriflorum and georgianum.

Symphyotrichum longifolium, Aromatic Aster

Symphyotrichum oblongifolium

Symphyotrichum oblongifolium.

Symphyotrichum georgianum, Georgia Aster

Symphyotrichum georgianum. About as far from Illinois as it is from Texas.

Symphyotrichum lateriflorum, Calico Aster.

Symphyotrichum lateriflorum. This is very common here, which is why I want some. Do any of you see them around? White snake root grows everywhere too, but I don't want any of it.

Symphyotrichum ericoides, Heather Aster

Symphyotrichum ericoides

Symphyotrichum ericoides

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Dandy, everything is looking so great in your pictures! Takes special people to have these long winters I guess. I get creaky when it’s cold. I still have some raspberries. First time ever to have the banana blooming. Not that I will get any. I know, not native here. One of the few plants my husband wanted. He is all about tropical looking with big leaves. The bees like it though.

Jay, I have all three of these asters. Wonder why the aromatic aster is not native here.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Nice pics Dandy. Even the dewberry looks really nice.

Jay I have Spiranthes odorata and a local ecotype of Spiranthes cernua, in rough shape after something dug up everything in the planter and tossed the plants aside.

I think I saw calico aster at the park the other day but its hard for me to distinguish from frost aster that has fading flowers.

Iris how far south would you need to go to grow bananas? Would it grow in a greenhouse there?

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

The Spiranthes still bloomed, that's good. I want to see some for real. Everyone else is running into them but me. If I leave my garden debris alone forgm the winter, then when in the spring can I clean it up, or better yet do a controlled burn?

I looked and apparantly there are Spiranthes observations at 2 of the places I visit the most.

Lonicera retuculata/prolifera

Helianthus hirsutus?

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

I have no idea about the sunflower, you have to get pics of the phyllaries, leaves, stems, maybe pistils and stamens, all that. Thats a nice honeysuckle. I collected berries off my coral honey suckle I got 13 clean seeds out them.

I raked the leaves out of my planting area and spread the winter rye cover crop today. Now I have all winter to figure out the rest of the seeding procedure.

shade garden is planted at my feet in this last pic, plugs are basically invisible and going dormant at this point.

nice color on the dogwood

Tons of allium vineale coming up, have to go around and treat each one. I hope the lawn grass continues to fill in.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Wow, that looks like a big area to play with, Skip! Cooler with light rain for most of the day here. I think this might be the last Monarch coming from my yard this year. With the cooler weather, it took more than 3 weeks in the chrysalis. Turned out fine.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Iris, I wonder if the Monarchs, that hang around your yard all season, are part of that population, that stays in the southern US? Have you ever tried tagging any of them?

I collected some Calico Aster seeds. The leaves on this plant look wider than pictures, but they are supposed to be variable.

Eurybia macrophylla. I don't have it, but I like it. It would look good with Solidago flexicaulis I think. Used as a ground cover for part shade/shade, rhizomatous.

Oclemena, formerly Aster

Oclemena accuminata, Whorled Wood Aster, New Jersey

Oclemena x blakei, Blake's Aster, New Jersey

Oclemena nemoralis, Bog Aster, New Jersey.

Oclemena reticulata, Pine Barren Whitetop Aster, South Carolina.

Ionactis formerly Aster. 1 eastern species, 4 western species.

Ionactis linariifolia, Stiff Aster, Flax Leaf Stiff Aster, Illinois, New Jersey, Texas, South Carolina

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Skip, what do you do with the winter rhy cover crop in the spring? Do you till it under?

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

I grow the Eurybia macrophylla, it flowered kind if early I should go get the seeds before they blow away. I got Ionactus linariifolius this spring too, waiting for it to finish flowering so I can grow more of it.

To kill the winter rye you could till it in. I dont want to till because that brings weed seeds up to the surface and collapses the soil structure. I dont know if you noticed this when planting, but if I pull a plug or clod of soil and bust it up, the resulting dirt doesnt fill the hole I took it out of, the soil structure has collapsed. If you till an area it will eventually sink a little.

Another option is to mow it or crimp it when it starts to flower, but thats not until early-mid May, I want to kill it earlier before all the hairy bittercress and chickweed goes to seed.

That leaves option 3, chemical control. I might have to spray it with glyphosate but I dont want to use too much glyphosate in one area because it will start building up in the soil. Im going to ask an organic landscaper I know if his vinegar clove oil mix will kill it.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

How do you like your Eurybia and Ionactis? I like the Ionactis a lot. It looks like it stays a managable size. I'm thinking about what to do when all these different asters go to seed. If I leave the seedheads on the plants to protect any insects in them, then I might have millions of seedlings to pull out. Have you seen Brickellia eupatoroides around there?

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

I have not seen the Brickellia, if its something deer can eat, it probably doesn't stand a chance around here. I like the Ionactus so far, mine is only a year old and its still really small. The foliage blends in with the Phlox subulata. I think it wants lean soil, so I wouldn't worry about it spreading where there is competition from other plants. Ive had bigleaf aster 2-3 years and it hasnt spread either, while in the same time the heartleaf aster has spread to a few new spots. My neighbor is blowing all his leaves to the curb, I might have to be the crazy person loading them up and carting them off to the back of my lot.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I think I have a few Doellingera planted, but they're tiny, but a couple had tiny flowers. How did you do with the Erigeron pulchellus? They will spread if in enough sun. When I overturn the soil to plant, I always add a lot of organic compost. I don't know if it will prevent the soil from collapsing. I'm basically putting in plant plugs over every square inch. It's was snowing here.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

The Erigeron did well, its only the first year from seed, and they were started outdoors so no flowers, but the rosettes have put out offsets.

Tell me how it is possible I ordered almost 30 new species from Prairie Moon for my meadow, yet I am still looking at other plants? Gentianella, Lobelia inflata, Euphorbia corollata, Lilium philadelphicum, Crotolaria. Already planning to get the Cirsium pumila from hungry hook in the spring. I bought some Asclepias quadrifolia seeds off Mike from the Native Plants of the Northeast group too.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Jay, I have not attempted to tag any Monarchs. Have never noticed a tagged one either. Ha ha, Skip. Of course you need some more plants....Just wait until I catch up with looking everything you all have mentioned up. Zeta might still be a tropical storm when it comes through here on Thursday. Guess Skip is up next for it? Lots of plants are already looking kind of tired in the first place. Sumacs are starting to show some color

The climbing asters are starting to bloom

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Nice pictures Iris. What's the bottom plant? Georgianum? I tried scattering Lobelia inflata seeds in places, a couple times, with no luck. Lately, with a lot of people posting pics of the rarer Lobelia, I'm wanting to find seeds or plants for some of those, but it won't be easy. Puberula, kalmii, apendiculata, canbyi, dortmanna, nutallii, spicata. I'm waiting to hear back from Mike about some quadrifolia seeds too. I'm hoping my 2 quadrifolia plants return in spring, but it won't hurt to have more. I should get more poke milkweed seeds too. The milkweeds take longer to establish. I'll have to go through the Prairie Moon seed list and see how weak I am, but I've planted most of their catalog already lol.

Lobelia kalmii, Frank Larry Lawrence

Minnesota, Illinois, New Jersey

Lobelia puberula, Thomas Govus

Illinois, New Jersey, South Carolina, Texas

Lobelia canbyi, New Jersey, South Carolina

Lobelia dortmanna, Minnesota, New Jersey

Lobelia nutallii, New Jersey, South Carolina

Lobelia appendiculata var gattlingeri

Texas, Illinois

Lobelia spicata, Minnesota, Illinois, New Jersey, South Carolina,Texas

Lobelia inflata. This species is as nice as the others. I'm trying it again. And the leaves have herbal uses. The cardinalis, siphilitica, and dortmanna have distinct colors, but all the rest are kind of similar variations on a theme.

Minnesota, Illinois, New Jersey, South Carolina

Lobelia amoena, South Carolina Denise Williams

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

That’s my Carolina climbing aster. Quadrifolia is still on my list. Guess I would need to join groups.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

I got Lobelia spicata in bulk

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Awesome! I can grow the inflata and pretend it's a rarer species.🤣

Lobelia elongata, South Carolina

Lobelia boykinii, South Carolina

And now for something completely different.

Mount Kilimanjaro Lobelia deckenii

Hawaiian Lobeliad, Trematolobelia kaalae

Hawaiian Lobeliad, Lobelia gloria-montis

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

1 Like Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Happy Bat Week!

Save    
Mars SC Zone 8b Mars
Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Symphyotrichum grandiflorum, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina

Will Stuart

1 Like Save    
Mars SC Zone 8b Mars

I live in SC and have never seen that.

1 Like Save    
Mars SC Zone 8b Mars

What's the plant's common name?

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

The common name is largeflower aster. Ha, HU-9121 (is that what we should call you?), guess we are not going to be the “cool kids”. Refereeing to Jay’s meme about using scientific names :)

Save    
Mars SC Zone 8b Mars

Yup.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Range of Symphyotrichum grandiflorum. There are no i naturalist observations for this species in South Carolina. It was common at one time along the coastal plain, but is rare or absent now. It still occurs in North Carolina and Virginia.

Symphyotrichum georgianum, Georgia Aster. Considered by many to be the most beautiful aster. Probably more common in South Carolina because of cultivation.

Range of Symphyotrichum georgianum. Florida, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

My Georgia asters are spreading nicely. Found some new ones in my Frostweed. Wonder if I can find plants for the grandiflorum somewhere. Need to search later. Also, my spellcheck often does not like scientific names. Really nice weather today. Am not looking forward to setting the clock back this weekend. It’s dark too early as it is.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I don't see plants or seeds available for S. grandiflorum. It looks like Plants Delights sold it at one time. I like the S. oblongifolium too. Prairie Moon has seeds for those. We should put the clocks an hour ahead, not an hour back. Can you save a few georgianum seeds for me? If I come across anyone with grandiflorum, I'll try to get seeds. If I get the quadrifolia seeds, and there's good germination, I'll send you a plant or 2.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Sure can! Or I can send you seedlings in Spring. Javi read something about needing plants from two different colonies for seeds to work. Not sure if this really is the case, but my plants are from Niche in NC and Woodlanders in SC. And obviously the seeds must work with the new ones coming up. Too far to be just runners.

Save    

Welcome to the club Hu!

I found Lobelia spicata growing wild one time about ten years ago along a roadside. I kept eye on it for months planning to gather seed when it when it was dried out. Just before collecting, the ditch-mower guy came thru and cut everything down. I was so mad. Never tried to collect it again. Flowers were sorta puny anyways.

1 Like Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I heard that Georgia asters like dry soil. No wonder they do so well for you Iris. There were a couple things on my night cam. I can't make out the top pic, a coyote maybe?

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Ha ha, Jay! I should put my camera back out. Somebody on a local group was hoping the pine siskins would show up in his yard. Nope, seems they are all in my yard. Eating me out of house and home :) Really early, too. In the years they show up, it’s usually in January or so.

I still don’t know exactly what all these asters are, but I really like them.

Dandy, is the snow still sticking up there?

1 Like Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

LOL, Haha. Too bad the siskins don't eat cypress vine seeds. The butterfly looks beautiful with the aster.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Bat Week I think all of them are beautiful.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Love my bats! Tropical storm warning here. Can’t remember if we ever had one. A watch maybe. Guess I will see how it goes, the worst should be between 7 and 11 tomorrow morning. Followed by a cold front so it might freeze by Monday night. It’s been a really weird year all around.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I hope you just get a nice rain and nothing else Iris. The path looks like it just clips the edge of S.C.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

A friend in Alabama had a lot of trees knocked down. I hope you're ok Iris.

Save    
Mars SC Zone 8b Mars

Jay, that's Chewbacca.

They came to see the trees.

That's why you should have a pretty garden.

Save    
Mars SC Zone 8b Mars

Jay what state do you live in?

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I live in Illinois, 40 miles south of Chicago. Where do you live?

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Jay, I am considering myself lucky. Nothing major, even kept the power. Duke Energy reported half a million without power, many in my area. South Carolina isn’t even that big. My husband had to turn around twice on his way to work because of fallen trees.

Save    
Mars SC Zone 8b Mars

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a) live in the outskirts of charleston.

In minutes i live 25-40 minutes away from charleston.

Specifically in Ladson.

What about you Iris?

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

You're in South Carolina, I forgot.

Save    
Mars SC Zone 8b Mars

It has been windy and rainy all day long.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I am about 20 minutes south East of Greenville. Sicklepot seeds germinating while they are still on the plant.

Banana got shredded, but can’t be that long until it freezes. So no big deal.

1 Like Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

What's the bottom plant? A banana?

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Yep, it’s now a shredded banana :) Jay, did you have any real frost yet?

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Its feeling pretty stormy outside now, wind driven rain and large drops but not too bad.

I want to try out indoor seed starting and a soil mix, can anyone recommend a plant that doesn't need stratification and is a little bit tempermental? Something too adaptable might not be a good subject for testing how the soil works. I screened all the pinebark and turface I had left over in my shed, going to combine them 4:1 and see if I can start a seed and grow something in it before I fill all the trays. I have the pinebark in a tote outside soaking up all this rain water, since you are supposed to rinse it before use.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Maybe milkweeds? My quadrifolia seeds are coming. I'm going to start some inside again. They looked beautiful when they were inside, but went downhill once I planted them outside. I would have had more than just 2 plants if I hadn't started them in the tiny 72 cell trays.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Yeah I have some butterfly weed seeds I picked last year, the ones I wintersowed were MIA. I guess I should look up the water germination method again?

Did you harden off your quadrifolia before planting them outside? I still have a bunch of seeds in jugs and trays outside that I have not given up on yet. One of the A. verticillata came up this summer that I planted 2 years ago, maybe I'll have more variegata, purpurascens, and tuberosa germinating next year.

I listened to a podcast, a scientist was talking about the California tarweeds, Hawaiian silverswords and adaptive radiation, etc.. anyway a real interesting thing he mentioned is that seeds he grew out in his lab from an annual tarweed species had perennial rhizomes, but that plant would have never survived as a perennial if it was outside left to nature in the environment he took it out of. Basically the summer droughts favor the annual form of the plant. That got me wondering how many other seeds from any species propagated indoors would have never stood a chance outside, and if that has any effect on moves from indoor to out.

Once again I'm going to try another wintersow method. I saw some hardware cloth on sale so Im just going to put the trays with seeds outside then cover with the hardware cloth as shown here https://wildseedproject.net/2016/11/ideal-time-for-sowing-native-seeds/?fbclid=IwAR3XsKu-lNinEby_UjFhBZxqN0MUiTdxnkKar3anVxCNWa7ctm6ofuRphNI

Im still going to use the cold frame as-is too.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I hardened off the quadrifolia plants, and then planted them in part shade. I think it was the higher outside temperatures and humidity that negatively affected them. They were getting more light when they were inside. I think I should have planted them sooner, before it got hot outside. I have many plants still in containers that I'm hoping will overwinter. I don't think it matters at this point whether they get in the ground or not. I have some hardware cloth. I've read about the targeted radiation in Hawaii. Some other plants have done the same over there, Like Lobelias And the spurge Euphorbias. My more heat loving southern milkweeds like ,subverticillata, oenotheroides, and fascicularis did great after I planted them outside.