SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oreolucca1

Dining room dillema

3 years ago

Hello would like to freshen chairs up with new upholstery but can seem to figure out color or if there should be pattern etc. Hopefully some of you will be able to weigh in. I like the dining room but it has been the same for nine years. Also thought about painting the walls. Any help appreciated

Comments (51)

• 3 years ago

thank you for comment. There is some purple in the cushions in living room but hard to see. But I agree need to tie rooms in better. It has just been hard to come up with chair fabric. I really like certain toiles but feel like my house might be a little more modern. Accept for the dining room the Furniture is 25 years old And like it but probably would not pick today. 😀

• PRO
    3 years ago

Looks like a tone on tone cream stripe would look great and brighten things up while tying in to your living room. A restyling on top of buffet would help too with more modern looking pieces. Hang your art about 4-6” above top of buffet.

oreolucca1 thanked Flo Mangan
  • Related Discussions

Will this Craigslist Dining Room Set fit in my Dining Room?

Q

Comments (13)
    Thank you for your replies. kew 2006: I moved the living room furniture in front of the wall unit in several different configurations. Unfortunately, it just looks awful. It is way too crowded and impractical with furniture blocking the wall unit. So I guess the issue is function vs. aesthetics. If I get the DR set, the wall unit has got to go. But since I need the storage space, I would probably buy a wall of Ikea bookcases and put them in a bedroom. Is the new DR worth the trouble?
    ...See More

Ceiling fan dillema ...

Q

Comments (5)
    The electrical boxes are already in place, the place is more roomy that the photo appears, the fan is not for the stairs but for the rest of the room, dining room to the left and living room to the right of stair area .. I don't think I would have planned out things the way they were planned out but I am having to deal with it so .. do I go smaller fans, which means they can be a bit lower in the room or do I go larger fans but located closer to the ceiling. The fans are mounted on a flat section of the cathedral made especially for the fan, 16 foot mark and the actual point of the ceiling is about 1.5 feet above this.
    ...See More

Hanging dining room chandelier in a 2 story dining room

Q

Comments (9)
    Hi Julie, We agree with Patricia on this one. A larger light fixture may be a better idea for this space. On that note, perhaps these light fixtures from our sister brand Luxe Light and Home may work: Le Marais (this is a custom 3-tier) Fiammi Lucia (This is a custom 'vertical' version of the fixture) These Luxe fixtures are sold exclusively through the Kravet showrooms so we highly encourage you to visit one near you so you can see the quality and workmanship yourself. We hope this information will help you make a more informed decision on your home needs. Very Best, Tai Truong Elements of Design 3400 Medford Street Los Angeles, CA 90063 tai@lusivedecor.com www.elementsofdesign.com
    ...See More

Dining room..creating space in a small dining room /sitting room area

Q

Comments (3)
    Without an actual to scale plan of the space there is no way of knowing what will fit and I love the low cabinet with the art BTW. I think you might be able to put a round table in the DR but I need measurements of the spaces I never like fake greenery or flowers and the mirror is really not reflecting anything worth seeing twice
    ...See More
  • 3 years ago

Yes it does not normally look like that On top of buffet I was cleaning out buffet And never finished. Sigh. And I have never thought about a cream tone on tone. I will look for some fabric. The one thing that concerns me about it is will it look to stark with the wood color of chairs? The picture is super heavy and always meant to hang it but was going to be such a pain in the butt so never did it. Will do it. Also I do have plants and have a very pretty plant that goes on the table.

• PRO
    3 years ago

Some other ideas. The current art looks too big for space. Using light colors will help tie the two rooms together.

• PRO
    3 years ago

Tablescape. You can layer different tones of white and beige for a fresh look that bridges your beautiful French dining set and your more modern living room grouping.

• 3 years ago

I suggest you freshen your whole house with these colors believed to be Navajo White walls and White Dove trim. Then add color in upholstery and rugs. Hang art 5" above furniture or centered 5' above the floor. Upgrade and install more lighting for a huge difference.

Horse Country Home · More Info

oreolucca1 thanked decoenthusiaste
  • PRO
    3 years ago

I don’t think you have room above buffet to hang art but if you LOVE it divide open space available so there is about 1-2” more above than below.

• PRO
    3 years ago

Your wainscoting looks bright white. I would use that to add more of that tone but moderate it with slightly creamy whites too.

• 3 years ago

Wow so many good ideas to think about. The trim is white dove ben Moore. Also not in love with the art work was a gift from my mil who is now gone. I actually like the print but frame is very heavy. i Would go for lighter gram but it works well color wise with furniture. My house is mostly creams and beiges except kitchen which is pale. Oak. No opposed to painting but not sure I want creamy in there. But will look into it. Flo thank you for the tablescape good idea. And the art should come down. Two lamps are a great idea. I have thought of painting the dining room a pretty blue but might just be making everything even darker. I like ichyra blue farrow and ball. But then would have to deal more with living room. Ugh sorry for my rambling.

• PRO
    3 years ago

I think blue would be pretty but you kind of have to pick your predominant style. Living room leans to modern/contemporary and dining room French traditional. Pale Oak is great color but leans to a gray so with your furniture in dining room you probably would be better using a neutral beige tone. If you want to do blue in dining room, get a sample of BM Van Deusen Blue and I think it would be beautiful with your wainscoting. Then you can bring some blue accessories into the living room. So your choice.

• 3 years ago

I also feel your dining room is traditional compared to living room. The LR is more contemporary but I also see done whimsy in your art and the owl pillow. I feel if you brought some whimsy into DR it would relax the traditional feel. I would consider replacing art for something abstract. For the chairs assuming the head chair backs are open, possibly just upholstering the backs, (or front also your choice) and seats in a coordinating plain fabric. The samples below may not be quite right but just what I found quickly and they both tied in the purple walls which I like BTW. Dramatic like a dining room should be, but unexpected.
    The LR photos I’ve added to show traditional and toile fabric used in a modern room.

• 3 years ago

Thank you flo and Marlene. You have really helped me hone in on what I want. Yes the rest of the house is a little more whimsical and contemporary. have see van druse. Blue and really like it. I think my paint color is pretty but looking to change it up a little.

• PRO
    3 years ago

Van Deusen Blue is gorgeous. It will look beautiful in your room and work well with other rooms too. Just a few touches will bring both lr and dr together. I would look for art that is a blend of modern and traditional. It might be a set of fun birds or other looks of interest. That will help set tone. Just depends on how edgy you want to go.

• PRO
    3 years ago

Here are some art and rooms with VDB walls and white trim and wainscoting.

• PRO
    3 years ago

This dining room is a darker blue but has wild bird art too. I believe the wall color is SW Indigo Batik. It is darker blue.

• 3 years ago

Nj momma very pretty inspiration. My furniture is much redder I wish it was that color. But I will get it pulled together😀. Flo I was looking around at paints and saw indigo batik and will try and buy samples Today. My husband (64) has decided he would enjoy painting (64) WTH 🤪. This will be interesting. everyone have a great day!

• 3 years ago

If you decide to keep the purple wall color, I like the fabric Marlene posted with the gray background and "real" birds with purple (1st one)

oreolucca1 thanked Gcubed
  • 3 years ago

I like that fabric to. but just bought paint samples we shall see😀

• PRO
    3 years ago

TIP. DO NOT paint samples on existing walls. With saturated colors you need a tinted primer then several coats of the color with plenty of “cure” time between coats. I use samplize.com for good samples and they have reopened. Well worth the small price and much easier to use.

• PRO
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Taking Inspiration from your artwork over your sofa this is how I came up with your color palette ideas for DR. Option two on the right with a blue floral wallpaper with hints of lilac. The ceiling color could be a soft violet and add vibrant pink textile for your chairs or the floral for for texture. You could do the seat in one material and the back a different coordinating fabric of your choice. New lamps and artwork and rug to anchor the space. Option one could be wallpaper your ceiling to coordinate the existing wall eggplant color and new artwork and buffet lamps to harmonize. You could paint ceiling to coordinate with above wallpaper as well. With your living room being so nuetral the sky is the limit with color. Something vibrant to contrast your wood. If you are open to painting your chairs black this would look fantastic. Have fun decorating your space. Best of luck.

• PRO
    3 years ago

I had that dining room table set for years and loved it. Its a great set but of course very French country. Your family room on the other hand had a much more modern/transitional vibe.

To create a more transitional balance between the two rooms I would create an overall light neutral palette and then bring in an accent color. I notice you ave green and coral pillows in your family room and I immediately think perhaps one of those? I am inclined to say your dining room needs some texture and I would consider wallpapering the walls. Green looks great with that tone of wood and I would consider doing a green grass cloth. It would be fantastic and not darken the space. Bringing in art work that pulls in greens and corals and some blues would be beautiful;. Art is subjective so you will be able to choose something you love. . It will make your chandelier pop. On your buffet I would brighten it up by bringing in two matching off white lamps that lean more on the modern side in shape. For fabric on the chairs I would keep it simple with a warm white linen and then if the end chairs have the ability to have the backs done in a contrasting fabric I would do something that can keep it fresh and "modern" but work beautiful for the traditional side. If the backs can't have a contrasting fabric then I would do the front of the seat this.

Here is a quick idea board to give you a visual of what I am saying. The art are just all pieces I think would be lovely and may not appeal to you at all but would be wonderful in the space. The chandelier , I know isnt yours but it has a similar shape and color. I am bringing it in to show you how stunning the tone is against the green. the fabrics pictured are an idea of what I think would be fantastic on the chairs as described above. The lamps for the sideboard. I would add drapery panels to the windows in a print that transitions but leans slightly more to the traditional.. Something like the asian inspired one I pictured would be fantastic. I would ground the whole space with a simple cream on cream geometric patterned rug under the table..

and if you wanted to bring more color in you could do a more colorful drape and then accent the same pillows in your family room

oreolucca1 thanked Design Interior South
  • 3 years ago

Dis thank you so much. Love what you have done very fresh but not sure will tie in with kitchen. Tried to post two times with pics and it won’t go. Ugh. Flo painted acouple

of blue samples just don’t think there the right blue. Also Jodi like your design bit not sure there me if that makes sense? May just be over plum. Thank you all your very kind.

• 3 years ago

Also I know this is a bit strange but I am a realtor so I like the inside to sort of look like it works with the outside. So I am posting the living room with the outside.

• 3 years ago

Also I know this is a bit strange but I am a realtor so I like the inside to sort of look like it works with the outside. So I am posting the living room with the outside.

• 3 years ago

Dang forgot kitchen.

• PRO
    3 years ago

What a cozy cottage! Beautifully home and I always want the outside of a home to connect with outside. I would be very tempted to bring the Pale Oak into dining room and accessorize with blue and some green. A kind of eclectic French look.

• PRO
    3 years ago

Don’t focus on style of each photo but rather the lighter walls and accessories.

oreolucca1 thanked Flo Mangan
  • 3 years ago

Very nice home! Now seeing more pictures I agree with Flo a nice neutral wall colour would be nice. If you’re still thinking of reupholstering chairs, I came across photo below and although fabric is similar(striped) to what you have I think it’s less formal of a look.
    https://www.houzz.com/hznb/photos/napa-cottage-country-chic-farmhouse-dining-room-san-francisco-phvw-vp~22350595

• PRO
    3 years ago

Yes, and MarleneM that set of photos is so nice and calming. I love it. The reason the stripe is calming is due to the width of the stripe! Brings a modern touch to a traditional set of seating. Love it.

• 3 years ago

really like the fabric. I think I will wait to get paint until I figure out fabric. I ordered a swatch yesterday. Then was thinking I would really like texture and love grass cloth so fell down a rabbit hole looking at peel and stick wallpaper. Less money and less commitment. But reviews were all over the place. Anyone have experience with grass cloth?

• PRO
    3 years ago

Charming home. Beautiful landscaping. Your kitchen is neutral as is the outside of your home so anything would work. I think the navy blue is too dark for your dining room. I agree that neutral would be nice. If not neutral something lighter.

Wallpaper. A natural grasscloth would be beautiful. About peel and stick.......It has been my experience that all of the peel and stick wallpaper is pretty much a waste. It stretches during install and once up the inks /dyes they use aren't stay fast so if one wall gets sun its going to fade quickly. I will further this little story by saying that about 2 years back I went on an appointment and the person had used a peel and stick wallpaper in her eating area in her kitchen which has a large bay window in it and it was generally a pretty sunny spot. The wallpaper was a lovely aqua blue and white geometric pattern. IN SOME PLACES. Anywhere it got more sunlight it was faded and even white with no pattern in areas it had gotten direct sunlight. The lead designer I was with announced the first line of business was to remove it and replace it with a different wallpaper........fast forward. I was the one on site when the wallpaper installer, a man with 32 years of experience hanging paper, was there to take it down. It didn't come down easy. In fact it was awful. He told me it is the biggest mess and he doesn't understand the appeal. You know when you try to take a price sticker off an item and it won't come off and then you pick it piece by piece and then finally even when you get it all there is that awful sticky residue? Welcome to self stick wallpaper. Especially anywhere sun or warmth hits it the glue is just messy. In the end that poor woman had to have that whole nook drywalled because there was simply nothing he could do to get that glue residue off without ruining the drywall. I am not saying this is the case for all but it was there and seeing it was enough for me to say I will never personally use it or put it in one of my clients homes. The thing is if wallpaper is hung properly and the walls sized and the correct type of glue is used it comes down easily. This is why an experienced wallpaper person is a must.

Sorry to go off on that tangent but its worth knowing.

• PRO
    3 years ago

Totally agree with DIS. Whites are tricky but here is a guide on whites. The more the color goes toward Green/yellow on the chart the whiter and brighter the “white/offwhite” will be. I would choose a softer off white and let your wainscoting be the brighter white. Do you know what color your wainscoting is? If so, I can do a color analysis and get you a complimentary offwhite that would be compatible. Probably not Pale Oak given the gray tones in kitchen it works there but probably more gray than you want in dining room.

• PRO
    3 years ago

Opps

• PRO
    3 years ago

I know it seems more complicated than paint but don't dismiss a grasscloth that is light in tone or even white. The added texture would be beautiful.

• 3 years ago

DIS and flo thank you both. Yes I was afraid peel and stick would be a disaster. thank you for sharing. I do all my own planting/landscaping and am confident in it. Wish design was so easy ugh. Went to fabric store today (3) found one fabric I kind of like realize I like geometrical with and oatmeal colored back ground. Apparently it only has 12000 rubs? So not suggested for dining Room. Completely exhausting. Lol I am now drinking a glass of wine and staring at a plant! I think will have to figure out which light color to go with. Pale oak in the kitchen and more of a creamy tan in living room. You guys are amazing.

• PRO
    3 years ago

Okay wonderful fabric. 12,000 rubs is not awful. If nothing else drapery panels In it. But do you eat in this room daily? Or is this a" formal" dining room thats only used a few times per year?

• PRO
    3 years ago

I would go with less pattern on chairs and use art and accessories for patterns. A great pattern on a dining chair can be gorgeous but it is limiting too.

• PRO
    3 years ago

I was assuming in inside back of the end chairs , no? Not the seats. I may have just presumed that. I think on the inside backs of end chairs and then a neutral on the seats would be okay.

• PRO
    3 years ago

I love this look, but hard to find a fabric that works really well for chairs.

Nelson's Bend, Port Royal · More Info

Flo’s Favs · More Info

• 3 years ago

The dining room is used probably three times a month. I think in my mi d I was goi g to get a coordinating fabric for the Six Chairs that would be plain. And then was going To do that fabric on the two chairs with backs. Not sure but thought plain seats? It’s very hard to find fabric. Ugh I think my limit is 50 a yard and then 35 a yard for the plain. Does that seem doable?

• PRO
    3 years ago

Sure. I found this fabric on remnant table for $7 a yard. Had enough to do six chair seats. They have been used for dozens of dinners, parties etc and I didn’t even use fabric protection on them. So for dining chairs you can be creative.

• PRO
    3 years ago

That is doable. Did I miss a photo showing the back of the end chairs? Do they have the ladders?

• 3 years ago

Here’s the back.

• PRO
    3 years ago

I would keep your fabric seat and back solid on your end chairs and do the front of the seat back in a patterned fabric. The pattern will be lost with the ladders on the back. This also will help you be less limited to fabric choices based on wear. You can get a durable fabric for seat. Another option you may want to consider is doing two completely different chairs as your host and hostess chair. You can certainly keep them and just flank you side board with them for extra seating and they would look great with the geometric pattern on the front back. do an entirely upholstered chair to break up all the wood.

Paula Deen Home Cottage Host Chair, Bluff, Set of 2 · More Info

• 3 years ago

I would love to do that but not in the budget. And great idea on the backs. Looking into grass cloth. I do love it. And I think a pattern on the front will give it a little kick. I just doing want the room to look to cream. Am waiting for fabric sample to be delivered. The trim is white dove bm . i Did find lamps I like not sure they aren’t too dressy.

• PRO
    3 years ago

love the lamps. A neutral monochromatic room can be beautiful and you have enough dark wood and business with the ladders on the chairs will break up all the cream.

• 3 years ago

That makes me feel good. I did fall in love

with them. Thank you

• PRO
    3 years ago

Tip on lamps. Make sure shade will fit on buffet? Looks like 17” round? So you need about 20” deep on buffet? Pretty lamp and I love the idea of layering in whites and off whites. ALSO like doing print on inside backs of host chairs since chairs have ladder backs. But you could do wide center strip on back with complimentary fabric in inside.

• 3 years ago

Thank you flo. I have thought of that it might be a little

tight will check.