SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
minshenw

Suggestions for supporting English roses

Hi everyone! I’m pretty new to growing roses (on year 4), and live in costal BC Canada. I’ve found that in our climate the David Austin English roses do very well in terms of health, growth, and flowering.

However, practically all DA roses that I own arch and nod down, some even more so than others.

My two St. Swithun, for example, are having their blooms literally down to the ground with their very soft stems& canes. When I bought them, I was told they could be grown either as short climbers or shrubs, and I intended to keep them as the latter. But now I’m thinking I need to support them in some way, without turning them into “true” climbers up a flat trellis or fences.

Does anyone know/have experience supporting these English roses? I kind of still want them to remain “shrubby” looking, just more upright and shapely (maybe add some vertical height). I’m thinking obelisks, but the ones i see are all very narrow (small in diameter) while I still want some width to them. Would penny rings or big tomato cages/towers work?

TIA everyone!

Here are some pictures of St Swithun. I love their blooms just wish I could enjoy them better and not have to smell them/take pictures by putting myself on the ground!

If this turns out well I may do the same to my Teasing Georgia...

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!