SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sultry_jasmine_nights_fl9

Best Austins or English Looking Roses for Vase?

Which Austin or other English type flowers do well as cut roses for you? How long do they last? Anything else you want to add!

I would like to make a thread where we can compile this info in one spot. I found lots of info on cut roses in general but not specific to English style roses. Please share your list of beauties. Lots of photos welcome :)

Comments (53)

• KarenPA_6b
    6 years ago

Found this online. The Best English Roses for Cutting from the Garden

http://www.gardennewsbreak.com/david_austin/releases/2015_garden_cut/1-Best_English_Roses_for_Cutting.html

From this article, these are the top 5 whose blooms can last up to 5 days.

• 'Charlotte': soft yellow, 100 petals per flower, fragrance rating of 4 of 5

• 'Golden Celebration': rich yellow, 75 petals, 5 of 5

• 'Munstead Wood': deep crimson, 75 petals, 5 of 5
    • ‘Princess Alexandra of Kent’: glowing pink, 130 petals, 5 of 5
    • 'Windemere': creamy white, 80 petals, 4 of 5.

sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish) thanked KarenPA_6b
  • arlene_82 (zone 6 OH)
    6 years ago

Another vote for Munstead Wood, and a picture just because you asked for them :)

sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish) thanked arlene_82 (zone 6 OH)
  • Related Discussions

Which David Austin (DA, english) roses last longest in a vase?

Q

Comments (37)
    I have found the English Roses to be a disappointment as cut flowers. It isn't just the short vase life, a lot of them have weak stems too that can't hold the large blooms upright for flower arranging. I'm moving away from them because of these faults. There are a few exceptions. Of the David Austin roses that I've grown FAIR BIANCA (white) and EVELYN (apricot pink) did the best as cut flowers, but good luck finding them in commerce. The hybrid tea ROUGE ROYALE (red) looks like an Austin rose but does extremely well as a cut flower. I can get blooms that last a week in a vase. GOLDEN CELEBRATION (yellow) is great if you live in an area not plagued by black spot. To condition the vase water add a pinch of sugar and one or two drops of bleach. Don't forget to recut the stems under water in the sink and then immediately plunk the roses into the vase. If air gets into the stem then it will form a bubble, travel up the stem, and collapse the bloom. Not a big deal if you only want one or two days of vase life, but I grow roses as much for cut flowers as garden specimens.
    ...See More

David Austin's English Roses in Texas

Q

Comments (22)
    I love Austins, and a select few of them are my absolute favorite roses in the garden, but some of them are absolute dogs here in Texas. If you narrow down a list of what you like, please post and I'll comment on which ones I've had. My secret to a healthy rose garden is plenty of tea roses and china roses. Both classes are antiques that LOVE Texas conditions and bloom their hearts out till we get nights down to 27 degrees. The Austins are a risk- none are really healthy, but some are so fragrant that it's worth it. (Jude the Obscure, Mary Magdaline, Scepter d Isle, Tamora). And like I said, others are just awful, though I'm sure they are beautiful in areas with cooler night time temps. I'm too lazy and have too many gardens to spray anything so there are lots of roses that have gotten the boot from my yard over the years!
    ...See More

non-Austin English roses

Q

Comments (30)
    I'm actually not sure this is how to respond in the new Houzz format, but I'll give it a shot. Dsd2682, I don't think any of the Kordes roses above have any fragrance, but I'm not a good judge of such things with a poor "nose". Most Kordes rose are bred for cold hardiness and frequent flowering, and often exquisite beauty, but fragrance is something that is often sacrificed. I also like the Delbards, and our summers are good for them. I haven't been able to keep Liv Tyler alive through our winters, but Dame des Chenonceau does nicely for me, as do a dozen or so other Delbards. My favorite is Edgar Degas, among the Delbard painter series. I'll try to post my allowed 4 photos to test the Houzz site this time around. Cynthia Dame des Chenonceau (above Edgar Degas (above) Henri Matisse Comtesse de Segur
    ...See More

Who am I? Looks like a David Austin or another English rose!

Q

Comments (29)
    I have 5 abe Darby's & 3 tamoras they both have great scent - your rose looks like Darby to me !! The colors can vary depending on weather when it comes to Darby. In winter my blooms have strong apricot, peachy yellow & pink but in summer it's very pink. Tamora can also vary in color due to weather. When I saw your pics- Darby was first rose that came to mind. I'm a David Austin rose freak - I have around 20 different austins, plus a few extras of my favorite Austin bushes but I'm not counting those. Tamora is a great rose also, the scent reminds me of starburst :) yum but here in class the bush isn't the most vigorous grower- Both are susceptible to black spot in my garden. Darby however is extremely vigorous. I've noticed on my Darby, the blooms can vary greatly, some are so packed with petals & others not so much ( prob Bc of the heat!) i just dead headed all of mine otherwise I would post pics :( sorry but Good luck!! :)
    ...See More
  • MAD zone 9b
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Evelyn lasts 3-4 days in a vase for me.

English Sachet lasts a really long time on the bush. I haven't tried cutting roses for the vase yet, mine is a young plant, but I think this one might be a good candidate. 'Ella Rose Farm' says it lasts 5-7 days in a vase.

sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish) thanked MAD zone 9b
  • sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

KarenPA that's a good resource. Thanks for posting that. I have Charlotte and Golden Celebration coming from Burpee. For some reason I didnt think Charlotte would be great for cutting. I am glad to see that she is. I didnt think Windermere lasted long in the vase but it is on the list so it must be okay. I have read that Tranquility is good.

Another Austin I've been hearing might be good for bouquets/cutting is Desdemona. Has anyone had experience with her?

Arlene, your Mustead Wood bouquet is perfectly gorgeous. MW is my favorite dark Austin. Love it!

MAD, I had to look up English Sachet. Oh my goodness, that is so beautiful! Doesn't seem to be widely available. I wonder why? I sure would like to grow ES.

• noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
    6 years ago

How about Rouge Royale?

sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish) thanked noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

That would be a good one! I hope someone can give some good info on it.

• MAD zone 9b
    6 years ago

Sultry_jasmine, Yes, I’m surprised it’s not more available as well. It may be because English Sachet is not very cold hardy, who knows. Heirloom rates it for zones 6-10, so you could definitely grow it. Here’s an old discussion I found about it:

[https://www.houzz.com/discussions/english-sachet-dsvw-vd~2139926[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/english-sachet-dsvw-vd~2139926)

• K S
    6 years ago

I have read that Fair Bianca makes a nice cut flower, but haven't tried it yet due to reports that it isn't a vigorous plant. Here is an article that suggests Fair Bianca, and several other roses for cutting (not all of them English). It is worth looking at for the final photograph alone: https://www.gardenista.com/posts/expert-advice-8-best-garden-roses-for-cutting-from-a-boutique-grower/

sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish) thanked K S
  • Dave5bWY
    6 years ago

Of the DAs I grow, Darcey Bussell lasts the longest as s cut flower - often 6-7 days. Evelyn, Abraham Darby, Golden Celebration, Munstead Wood, and Spirit of Freedom do fairly well, too. Non Austin English style varieties that make a good cut flower are Versigny (7 days), Rouge Royal (5 days) (most of the Romanticas have done great as a cut flower), and Sonia Rykiel (3-4 days). Bella di Todi was new last year but lasted long in a vase. Several other newbies last year that show promise but I’ll wait to report on these.

sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish) thanked Dave5bWY
  • User
    6 years ago

My all time favorites of all the roses I have planted... I don’t really pay attention to how long they last, 5 days at least. The scent on all is amazing. I’ll let the photos speak for themselves. Please enlarge them by clicking on them to get the full effect of the color variance in these pale, pale roses.

CRESSIDA

PERDITA

EVELYN

Rebecca

sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish) thanked User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

MAD, thanks for the link to the English Sachet thread. I love reading about ES and looking at the photos until I can get it lol..daydreaming!

KS, Fair Bianca is lovely! I see several on that link I would love to have. Yes that ladt photo is awesome!! Thank you for posting that. I have 2 Distant Drums ordered. I love purply brownish antique tones

Dave. Thanks for the confirmation that Rouge Royal is a good cut flower.

Darcy Bussell is on my short list as I can use more berry toned roses. I just got Spirit of Freedom so I am glad to hear it is good in a vase. With all those petals (200) it made me wonder how they would hold up. She is a winner for sure! I can't wait till mine blooms.

Rebecca, how lucky you are to have all three of those beauties! Cressida is astoungingly beautiful. So fufu and delicate. I must find her lol. Does she ever get as apricot as Evelyn does, or does she remain a pastel blush shade? I have Evelyn but my plant almost died. The good thing is, she is on the mend so maybe I will get some more blooms this summer :)

~Sjn

• User
    6 years ago

Sjn, thank you. I do love those roses so much that I have multiples. Cressida is on the west side of my house and gets intense heat in our summers. She fades quickly if left on the bush, but I bring all of her blossoms in the house for cuttings. Depending on the stage of the blossom, she has more color. The most incredible thing about her is her intense myrrh scent. It is swoonable! I believe that she is available through Hortico.

I have posted this photo so many times, so forgive me if some of you are tired of seeing it. :)

CRESSIDA

Rebecca

• lavenderlacezone8
    6 years ago

Beautiful Rebeccah!

Sultry, I found Earth Angel and First Crush to both be long lasting in the vase, with a strong scent if you happen to like it.

Evelyn would be a favorite long-lasting Austin for me. Jude the Obscure doesn't hold up as well, but the scent is wonderful to my nose so all is forgiven!

I have made lovely bouquets with Heritage only to come back an hour later and find them completely shattered so this would be low on my list for the vase, better for landscaping.

sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish) thanked lavenderlacezone8
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Rebecca, Cressida is killing me lol. I think she might possibly be the most beautiful rose I've ever seen! I read that she might get black spot in areas that are prone to it..oh well story of my life lol. Im gonna try.

lavenderlace, I just got Earth Angel as a bare root a few weeks ago. I hope it blooms soon. I love the flower shape and am so glad that I can make lasting flower arrangements with her. I got a few blooms from First Crush. I got 3 on clearance on the Lowes and Walmart 'kill racks". I agree she smells good! Here is a pic of one if the blooms. I didn't cut any to take inside. Next time I will. I also love Jude's form and fragrance but he's prettier on the bush.

First Crush

• User
    6 years ago

For me the best David Austin roses for cutting and putting in a vase are Queen of Sweden, Boscobel, and The Alnwick rose.

• User
    6 years ago

Sjn, I love First Crush!! And don’t feel alone. Cressida gets to me every year. I hang around the bushes waiting for the buds to open. I bring the first one into the house and put it in a small cup and hang my head over it to catch the fragrance waves!! Then I take make sure I visit it often to see it change colors as it opens. Amazing, amazing rose!!!

Rebecca

ps. I cut Cressida down to the ground every year because her canes die down in our winters. She grows and blooms from there every year. If you find yours doesn’t bloom well for you, a good pruning might help.

• rosecanadian
    6 years ago

Karen - I would love to get Charlotte (and I can this year), but I thought the fragrance wasn't very strong.

Such gorgeous pictures here!

Caorl

sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish) thanked rosecanadian
  • Lisa Adams
    6 years ago

Oh what beautiful pictures!! I love them all. Of the DA’s that I grow, I can say that Abraham Darby, Darcy Bussell, and Evelyn are my best for cutting. It’s very hot and dry here, so many DA’s don’t make good cut flowers for me. They shatter very quickly. I enjoy my Alnwick Rose, but it shatters too fast indoors here. I’m letting it stay because those cup shaped blooms are so lovely, and it doesn’t take up a lot of space.

Abe Darby

Darcy Bussell

I must not have saved any of Evelyn, but mine is young, and has only bloomed a little in her first year. She’s been great as a cut flower already.

For a non DA that has that look, I really like cutting ‘Joan Fontaine’. I’m surprised she’s not more widely grown. I just love her!

And of course, Princess Charlene de Monaco is a fantastic cut flower! She has it all!

I’m sure I have more, because this is my favorite look, and I try to choose my roses for good cut flowers. I’ll add more, if I think of them. Lisa

Edited to add: Oops! Too many pictures! They didn’t all upload. I’ll add them in a moment. Lisa

sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish) thanked Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi dizzylizzy (cute name), This will be my first year with Boscobel. I'm impatiently awaiting my first blooms. I have The Alnwick Rose. It doesn't last on the bush at all here with our heat. Maybe I should try cutting them before they open all the way and bring them in. It is such a beautiful rose. I have no experience with QoS but have admired others' blooms. Good to know QoS will last as a cut flower!

Rebecca, thanks for the tips on growing Cressida! I will definitely be getting advice from you when I get mine.

rosecanadian, I recently ordered Charlotte but don't have it yet. I hope to get more info on her!

~Sjn

• Lisa Adams
    6 years ago

Princess Charlene de Monaco

Look at those long stems below. That’s a big BBQ she’s against.

And the glamour shot, you’ve all seen before.

Cream Abundance gets an honorable mention. Mine has been recently released from a large pot, and I think I’ll get more blooms now. It makes a good cut flower and is a nicely rounded bush.

Cut roses · More Info
    Lisa

Original Author
    6 years ago

Lisa, I love every one of your bouquets! Your house must smell awesome :) My bare root PCdM has just sat there for awhile and is now leaving out. I can barely wait! I probably look at her twice a day (that I admit to)....hurry up lol. I have a feeling I will be ordering a few more lol.

Joan Fontaine is so lovely. What is the name of the clematis with her? I just started with clematis this year.

I completely agree with you about Abe. He is just swoonable! One of the best performers here and smells so good! Darcy Bussell and Cream Abundance are also beautiful. I need to get more creams and blushy colored roses. I will have to look up Cream Abundance now lol.

~Sjn

• rosecanadian
    6 years ago

Sjn - only twice a day? LOL I hope Charlotte will have a wonderful fragrance for you. :)

Lisa - swoonable bouquets!!!! Wow!

Carol

• Lisa Adams
    6 years ago

Thanks, Sjn and Carol. I love to cut roses for bouquets. I like to enjoy them indoors and I like giving them away.

Sultry, the clematis with ‘Joan Fontaine’ is ‘Prince Charles’. I think it’s widely available and popular, deservedly so, IMO. It blooms for a very long time, here. It’s also one of the most truly blue clematis, I have found. It is a LIGHT blue, but much less purple than most other clematis.

Rebecca’s ‘Cressida’ has me drooling, as well! I have a small ‘Perdita’ that I hope will produce blooms like yours, Rebecca. I love those sorts of colors, and the photo of ‘Cressida’ with the yarn ought to be framed and hung. Lisa

• Al Mitchell zone 5b (ameri2nal)
    6 years ago

Peter Mayle lasts a long time and Rouge Royal should be grown for cutting only. I cut every flower on this rose because they last long, smell great, andopen better when they are cut than when they are on the bush.

sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish) thanked Al Mitchell zone 5b (ameri2nal)
  • Lisa Adams
    6 years ago

That reminds me! Bolero is a wonderful rose for cutting. So far, the Romantica roses have done well here, and make great cut flowers. Lisa

Bolero · More Info

• rosecanadian
    6 years ago

Helen - oh wow!!! That's gorgeous!!! I really hope mine looks like that this year (bare root last year)!!!! Stunning!! I adore the color and the shape. :)

Lisa - Bolero looks like whipped cream!! How wonderful!!!

Carol

• MAD zone 9b
    6 years ago

Sultry_Jasmine, I also recently got a bareroot Princess Charlene de Monaco (thanks to Lisa the rose enabler), and I look at her every day hoping she'll hurry and leaf out. I went to a sporting event with my DH last weekend, and there happened to be a large nursery near by...I came home with another PCdM already leafing out in a pot, along with a few other plants, lol. I told myself, it's just in case my bareroot doesn't grow ; )

Lisa Adams, your bouquets are gorgeous. Bolero looks heavenly. I hope my roses will grow up to be as floriferous as yours one day.

Bayarea_girl, wow, I didn't know Young Lycidas turned purple as it ages. It's holding up really well at 5 days.

• Lisa Adams
    6 years ago

Thank you. The single Bolero bush produced all those blooms. It’s such a nice compact plant. Sometimes I can hardly see the foliage for all the blooms! I also purchased a second Princess Charlene de Monaco. (Maybe that’s called self-enabling:) I wanted more of those blooms for cutting! Lisa

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    6 years ago

The bolero photos make me so excited! I planted mine right next to a bench . Perfect for sniffing ! I can't wait for all these bare canes to turn into magic

sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish) thanked Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
  • bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    6 years ago

Carol, mine was bare root from last year, too. I grow it in a pot and it blooms all the time for me. It's the only rose blooming right now in my garden.

MAD, I noticed it has that color when the weather is cold and there isn't a lot of sun. I like this color. Otherwise it has a brighter color similar to the photos you often see. Helen

sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish) thanked bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
  • rosecanadian
    6 years ago

Helen - I sooooo want my roses again (unfortunately it's snowing here). I really loved my Young Lycidas last year too. I think it may become a favorite.

Carol

• Dave5bWY
    6 years ago

Helen - I think your YL has pushed me over the edge -I need to get it now! I’ve wanted to grow it in a pot. I “need” a purple and/or blue rose in my garden. How often do you get the magenta tones from YL?

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    6 years ago

Dave, I understand, lol. I'm also looking for a repeat lavender english cabbage looking rose and can only admire those from some of the Instagram posts from Japan. Since this rose even blooms in winter in the Bay Area, it has this shade around winter and spring time in my area. Helen

sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish) thanked bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    6 years ago

rosecanadian, twice a day is all I'm admitting to lol :P

Al, Rouge Royal is so beautiful. Good to know how it does in a vase. Does yours stay red, dark red, or magenta in your climate? I get a lot of my reds going to magenta when its really hot. Only Don Juan, so far, behaves himself and stays red.

Lisa, I need to explore the romantica rose group more. Bolero is such a sweet looking flower. I hardly have any whites or creams and I need more! I have Lichfield Angel, PJPll, Devoneisis (sp), and Sombriel cl. I have Earth Angel and Rubens which are very pale pink blush and will probably look white in the heat. I will look for the clematis. I think the blue color will go with many different roses.

MAD, Lisa's photos also are what "made" me order PCdM lol. I am debating ordering a few more. I just don't know where I would put them right now. I just added two new flowerbeds and all the spots are already taken or spoken for. I guess there is always pots! :D

Helen, Your YL blooms are sumputous! Mine have never got that purple. I just transplanted mine from a pot to the ground. She immediately developed a few buds. I will pot pics of them when they open. Unless they are hideous LOL. Lavender cabbage roses live only in my dreams. I guess we will have to hybridize our own here haha. Charles Rennie MacIntosh and Spirit of Freedom have a lilac tint but not totally lavender. CRT is probably off patent now so could be crossed to something more blue or purple.

Have you seen the new DA release for the UK, The Mill on the Floss? It looks pink in the photo but the description says lilac pink. Its not lavender but its purrrty! Maybe we will get it released in the US in a few years.

~Sjn

• rosecanadian
    6 years ago

Sultry - seems to be a pretty low number...at least from my end.... LOL :)

Carol

• Dave5bWY
    6 years ago

SJN - where did you see the new DA releases? I don’t see them on their UK site.

Original Author
    6 years ago

https://www.davidaustinroses.co.uk/popular-searches/new-varieties?___SID=U

I think the new ones for them are The Mill on the Floss, Toddering-by-Gently, and Emily Bronte. The others listed are from this past year releases for them. We (US) are usually a few years behind them I think and I'm not sure if we will get all the roses they get.

Mill on the Floss

https://www.davidaustinroses.co.uk/the-mill-on-the-floss

• Lisa Adams
    6 years ago

Helen, I think your Young Lycidas has pushed me over the edge, too. I wonder what the DA people would say, if I called and asked about switching one of my roses to Young Lycidas. Has anyone ever called them, and done that? I broke down and ordered two ‘Sister Elizabeth’s’, just moments before the sale ended Wednesday. Maybe I should switch one for Young Lycidas. It’s available ownroot, and I prefer that. No one has had Young Lycidas grow into a ginormous creature, have they? I really have to watch those DA’s around here. Most of them have turned into big ol’ heifers! Lisa

• Dave5bWY
    6 years ago

Thanks! I had to clear my browser. Wow, The Floss on the Mill and Emily Bronte looks awesome! I love the suffused pink petals of The Floss on the Mill. We would not get them until 2020 but I can only hope that we will.

• Dave5bWY
    6 years ago

Lisa, I do that all the time. I’m sure I have my account marked with a warning that I will likely call again and change an order multiple times per season. I hope you like Sister Elizabeth. I love her lilac pink flowers with frilly petals and button eye. She has been a great pot rise for me. I’m going to check with my local nursery first to see if they’ll have YL but I want to order it now.

Original Author
    6 years ago

Lisa I got YL a few years ago and he is still small like 3 ft or so. No octopus arms yet. I like my roses big but I just put this one towards the front of my new flowerbed because I think it will stay a decent size. It was more floppy the first year but right now it is more upright. Nice little guy minding his manners lol.

• Lisa Adams
    6 years ago

I’m glad to hear that you like ‘Sister Elizabeth’, Dan! I’ve always wanted to grow her, and my given name is actually Elizabeth. I hear she does remain small, and that’s important to me. Do you know if Sister Elizabeth makes a good cut flower? Do you think Sister Elizabeth and Young Lycidas would compliment each other, colorwise? I’m getting SO excited, now! Too bad it’s already after 5pm in Texas. I can’t call them until Monday morning. I sure hope it’s not too late, by then. I know they’re already shipping bareroots to my zone. I’m glad to hear that you call and change your order frequently, Dan. Now, I don’t feel so bad about doing it:) At least this gives me until Monday to find out what the largest Young Lycidas has ever grown to. That will likely be the size mine would get. I should have never looked at this thread! Thanks a LOT, Sultry and Helen!!!!!...:) Lisa

• Dave5bWY
    6 years ago

SE makes a decent cut flower - lasts about 3 days for me (4 at the most). Oh, and her fragrance is wonderful and strong!

Original Author
    6 years ago

Geez you guys, you got me googling various Sister Elizabeth photos and looking at blogs with her in them, just to see if she has that button-eye thing going on often. And... yes she does! Oh, that's a bad sign because I might have to get her because I have a thing for those button-eyed vibes she's throwing lol. DA says she stays around 2.5 ft but that's probably a lie but I can forgive her because she has that stupid button-eyed stare.

~Sjn

• rosecanadian
    6 years ago

Dave that's so funny! I'm the same way as you and Lisa. I keep thanking them and saying I'm sorry for bothering them. Yeesh. Oh man, your SE is stunning!!! Oh my!!

Lisa - I'm constantly realizing that it's Friday after 6 p.m. when I want to phone about something...and I'm like...oh...I have to wait until Monday!!! And I'm with you...I changed my Hortico order 4 times, and my Palantine order twice. Plus I have changed my local greenhouse list about 12...but just on paper...they don't sell roses until you go there.

Sultry - yup, I can see you purchasing this beautiful rose!!

Carol

Original Author
    6 years ago

Young Lycidas decided to bloom today. This is probably the prettiest bloom I've got from him. We got some cool weather with a night just above freezing. It smells so good!

I just got 2 more PCdM's today. I have no clue where I'm putting them lol.

• Lisa Adams
    6 years ago

Oh, that's beautiful, Sultry! Now you're making me second (third?) guess myself, again! I did call DA to exchange one of my Sister Elizabeth's, but I got Miss Alice instead. It will stay smaller, I think. Also, it doesn't seem very popular, so I was afraid it might not be available next year. Your picture makes me want Young Lycidas, too. Will it ever stop? Like you, I don't know where to put them! You are going to have some great bouquets with those PCDM's! Lisa

Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Lisa. I cut the bloom this evening and put it by my bed. It is very fragrant. I don't have anything else blooming so its by its lonesome and still having a perfume fest. I might need to get another one of these next spring.

Young Lycidas does stay smaller as well. Its one of the most well behaved Austins I have. The first two years I had it, it was very droopy. This last year it is a more upright bush. The flowers are still drooping a little but they aren't near as bad as in the beginning. I think it will continue to improve with time. Austins must be like fine wine....the good ones anyways lol.

• strawchicago z5
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Years ago Young Lycidas was wimpy as grafted on Dr.Huey and died through my zone 5a winter. I'm temped to try it again.

Since this post was 4 years ago, HOW DOES YOUNG LYCIDAS perform after 4 years as grafted-on-Dr.Huey? Thank you.

Dave4bWY Among the roses you listed as good for the vase: Sister Elizabeth, Versigny (7 days), Rouge Royal (5 days), Sonia Rykiel (3-4 days). Bella di Todi. HOW MANY YEARS DO THEY SURVIVE THROUGH THE WINTER?

Versigny died twice through my zone 5a & also died a few times on another zone 5b person. Sonia Rykiel is way more winter-hardy than Rouge Royal. Rouge Royal is only 2 inch. green cane in its 3rd winter.

I'm tempted by Bella di Todi but not sure about its winter-hardiness. Thanks for any info.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm